Did I do something wrong?

SidG

Hi All,

Newish rider here (passed in Feb). Was out today just trying to get more miles and experience under my belt. Sitting in single lane traffic, set of lights on red, I'm about 6 cars back. Nothing coming the other way so I slowly crawl along the white line to the front to the lights. Whilst waiting for the lights to change I notice waiting on the oncoming opposite side an adventure style bike, two up, he isn't at the front of his queue, but about 4 cars back. Lights change and I move off. As I pass him I nod. However instead of nodding back, I get a very dissaproving shake of the head. I'm new to all this, I'm not one for high speeds, knee down or wheelies but what I most enjoy about biking is not having to sit in traffic and just get away from all the queues of cars.

Was what I did out of order and giving bikers a bad name? I'm in my mid 40s but after my actions today should I consider wearing a hoodie, joining the bike life youths and start doing wheelies everywhere?

Could be that's how he nods. Some nod normally, some shake their legs out etc. I give a head tilt (even when in car :oops: )

That could just be his way of nodding or he might just be the sort who doesn't like filtering. Doesn't sound to me like you did anything that most bikers wouldn't do. :thumb:

Cheers for the reassurances guys. But hey ho without speaking to him, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. Guess I took it too personally when I’m constantly analysing my own riding.

Don't nod at junctions would be my advice, can be the only thing I think he thought you did wrong. Concentrate on the road, only nod when safe to do so :cheers: I sometimes see people nodding me on dual carriageways from the other side... I'm not nodding at anything over 69mph :wink:

The thing with filtering is the HC definition of doing it "when safe to do so", it's open to interpretation and everyone's got a different opinion of what is "safe" ie. speed/distance/when to stop or pull in. You've probably just done something that this rider wouldn't do themselves, hence the wee shake of the head.

Only time you really need to pull in early at lights is if there's a pedestrian crossing with zig-zag lines, HC explicitly says not to overtake on zig-zags so if the police see you doing it you could be in for a ticket. Sounds like you did everything right in your example though :thumb:

The thing with filtering is the HC definition of doing it "when safe to do so", it's open to interpretation and everyone's got a different opinion of what is "safe" ie. speed/distance/when to stop or pull in. You've probably just done something that this rider wouldn't do themselves, hence the wee shake of the head.

Yep, anyone going slower than you would/not going for a gap you would are dithering or unconfident, whereas anyone going fast than you would/going for a gap you wouldn't are a liability and reckless :lol:

Yep, anyone going slower than you would/not going for a gap you would are dithering or unconfident, whereas anyone going fast than you would/going for a gap you wouldn't are a liability and reckless :lol:

Spot on :mrgreen:

As mentioned, I'd forget about it as you can't know what he was on about.

You mention he had a pillion, so for all you know he has an intercom with them and the pillion asked him a question to which he replied no and shook his head, which was at the time you passed and took it to mean he meant something you did wrong.

If it's something technically wrong (from what you describe) you can filter to the front but you're not meant to 'overtake' the first vehicle (everyone does so don't worry about it and I think this is just pedestrian crossing, would need to check). If he's a bit of a do-gooder, which it he could be as you mention he was 4 cars back so maybe doesn't approve of filtering, then that could also be the case.

Riding a bike sometimes involves bending the rules to stay safe. I always 'push' to the front if safe to do so, so that I can pull away quickly and avoid having to overtake that first car. Also they know you're there when they've got you stood in front of them.

Why do you care?

Because he's a top bloke who wants to make sure he's not giving bikers a bad name by being a knob.

Appreciate that Hoggs. Being a newish rider, hopefully non-knob, do feel a bit over sensitive about certain situations. Like I said,could have misread the situation and will give the other rider the benefit of the doubt. Being a car driver for 25+ years and now a biker, do feel more exposed to criticism, but guess always been courteous (let people out, say thank you etc) I do find other drivers have a different attitude towards bikers. Jealous of not having to wait in queues, get to the front at lights and then get away quick maybe? Why didn’t I switch years ago? Boring commutes are so much more fun on a bike!

Why do you care?

Because he's a top bloke who wants to make sure he's not giving bikers a bad name by being a knob.

Boring commutes are so much more fun on a bike!

and often longer :wink:

I meant longer in distance not time. :wink: well time as well.

Work to home is 17 miles but in the summer it can be 40+ miles :D