ER5 Engine Swap / Build

Why would it go bang? If you've built it properly and checked everything, just start it, listen to it for a while. Let it get hot, let it cool, then drop oil and water for some checks. Refill, then take it for a spin.

I know, its just a figure of speech but its still a nervous moment when you fire something up for the first time after a build. Let's call it excitement instead. I think I'll put in some Wilkinson's 10w40 for the first few miles and then some decent stuff after that . Thanks for the advice.

You'll be grinning from ear to ear. Put good oil in it. Try to prime the cams and crank by spinning the oil pump over first. I used a rubber wheel on a drill arbor to spin mine over, or just oil everything before starting.

Still haven't fired it up yet , I've put the coolant in and I've got Friday off so as long as it isn't pissing down I'll give it a go then .

• 2 weeks later...

I've put the oil in now but I still haven't started it yet . Instead I have smartened a few things up a bit while I've still got it indoors. I fitted a second hand under tray that was in better nick than what was on it . It came with a good set of indicators which was handy because mine were flopping around and , as I discovered, full of water . I also snipped out any old wiring bodges and did everything properly with solder and heat shrink tubing. I want everything super reliable because I might be going to the outer Hebrides on it next summer.

Good fortune for tomorrows weather Bob.

Hope to pop out to the garage myself tomorrow (Friday) find my old zinc anodes and pick up some fresh white vinegar / Epson salts with shopping and try some plating. this time i have plenty of old phone chargers.

Rob B

Good fortune for tomorrows weather Bob.

Hope to pop out to the garage myself tomorrow (Friday) find my old zinc anodes and pick up some fresh white vinegar / Epson salts with shopping and try some plating. this time i have plenty of old phone chargers.

Rob B

As long as you don't try the Ichiban Moto method !

I still haven't fired up this new engine. Instead I've been tidying up the bodywork . I bought a scabby mud guard off eBay complete with a fender extender and set about prepping it for paint . The fender extender was a dull grey so I sanded it with 2500 grade wet and dry then polished it with G3 . It came up surprisingly well I think. I paid £25 which isn't bad considering that a new fender extender costs that much on its own . We'll I don't want shit flung all over my new engine.

WP_20181112_17_38_19_Pro.thumb.jpg.34b2641133a9c87cad7651e92fcfd3c9.jpg

WP_20181112_21_10_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.2b7a656f8dbd0e9734479bc4f6e257dd.jpg

WP_20181112_21_11_42_Pro.thumb.jpg.6700081db860cc8c1752ae2a0977a075.jpg

WP_20181113_18_22_37_Pro.thumb.jpg.587095aeda2bdc21be1ad2dd707f6ba8.jpg

WP_20181117_10_32_26_Pro.thumb.jpg.8031e5f9990ebb0ad531c70cd413cac8.jpg

Edited by fastbob

Nice work Bob, have used a heatgun on some grey plastic in the past, also never though of using the Gtechnic G3 glass sealer.

Rob

Might be farecla G3 compound?

No, just G3 colour restorer , the same stuff I use to polish lacquered surfaces after flatting with 2500 w&d paper.

Nice work Bob, have used a heatgun on some grey plastic in the past, also never though of using the Gtechnic G3 glass sealer.

Rob

Might be farecla G3 compound?

I did hope it was that, but with Bob you never know.

Did you spin the oil pump over to check oil feed to cams

I didn't, in fact I've been trying to work out what you mean by this . The oil pump is deep within the engine and will not turn independently of the crank shaft . I dont think you can get near it unless you remove the sump plate .Do you mean spin the engine with the plugs out ? I did give the cam shafts a good squirt with the oil can during assembly.

My oil pump is driven by the clutch, so I removed the clutch and spun the oil pump gear using a drum sander arbor on a battery drill. This spun the oil pump gear and pumped oil to the cams and crank. Handy to confirm before running the engine.

My oil pump is driven by the clutch, so I removed the clutch and spun the oil pump gear using a drum sander arbor on a battery drill. This spun the oil pump gear and pumped oil to the cams and crank. Handy to confirm before running the engine.

Ok , I've had another look and my oil pump is also driven off the clutch. I think I'll give it a miss and just start it . The feed to the camshafts is by external tubes on an ER5 and I know that they ate clean and clear .

I think someone should pop over and check he's okay. He might have exploded with delight when it fired up.

Fired up fist touch of the button , sounds very sweet , pumped out half a litre of oil , oh dear ! I'll keep you posted