Failed Mod 2 - 3rd Attempt - Update Failed again!

Book your next test for first thing rush hour and in shit weather, will be a short test and you will be going very where slow.

Hahaha... With that bloke that did my last 2 attempts, I don't think it wouldn't matter... He will find a way of screwing me up for sure! :D

Jokes aside, all I can do is hope for the best and try to focus. I have 2.5 weeks to get absolutely ready :twisted:

I think you are ready it's just proving it that's your problem, deep breath, over think everything, go fast when you can, stick to speed limits and relax, sounds easy don't it.

Seriously you will get there don't worry how long the path is or how expensive it gets. 🤔

OP,if it makes you feel better,I failed Mod 2 four times!! :shock:

Passed yesterday with no minors,well chuffed.

My thoughts,rode my 125 for 6 months which gave me the practice I obviously needed,but gave me one bad habit,speed.Remember you're a learner and slow down approaches to junctions,hazards etc.

I also went into the last test with the attitude of I've had enough of this s**t,don't care anymore etc.This seemed to relax me,as if you really want something,it puts extra pressure on yourself.

Anyway,fingers crossed for next time,you've obviously got the ability to do it.

:thumb:

I think you are ready it's just proving it that's your problem, deep breath, over think everything, go fast when you can, stick to speed limits and relax, sounds easy don't it.

Seriously you will get there don't worry how long the path is or how expensive it gets. 🤔

Honestly, I really think "money is not the problem"... I am by no means rich, but I can be homeless with the A license anyways! :cheers:

Relax is the word of the moment... FFS!

My thoughts,rode my 125 for 6 months which gave me the practice I obviously needed,but gave me one bad habit,speed.Remember you're a learner and slow down approaches to junctions,hazards etc.

I also went into the last test with the attitude of I've had enough of this s**t,don't care anymore etc.This seemed to relax me,as if you really want something,it puts extra pressure on yourself.

Thanks mate! Glad you passed!!!

Did you do yours at Enfield by any chance?

I took mine in Enfield (apparently no longer the lowest pass rate in the country!) last week. I thought my particular test route was quite undemanding, save for a very steep downhill street with a sharp right turn at the end. I got a minor for that turn, in fact!

I took mine in Enfield (apparently no longer the lowest pass rate in the country!) last week. I thought my particular test route was quite undemanding, save for a very steep downhill street with a sharp right turn at the end. I got a minor for that turn, in fact!

Sounds like you've got the same examiner as me (He took me to this route, where he failed me on that corner because he said "I cut through it". Short, bald dude with glasses and a very unpleasant demeanour?!?

Sounds like you've got the same examiner as me (He took me to this route, where he failed me on that corner because he said "I cut through it". Short, bald dude with glasses and a very unpleasant demeanour?!?

that sounds like the guy I had for the mod 1 which I failed. Mod 2 guy was moderately less miserable but still pretty melancholic. There was some other twatty examiner speaking to my instructor and trying to boast about getting his knee down in winter, then they started talking about an instructor whose head got run over when he got rear ended teaching some people.

His name was "H" - didn't seem short from memory, and very pleasant (we were both laughing out loud before and after the test).

His name was "H" - didn't seem short from memory, and very pleasant (we were both laughing out loud before and after the test).

Cool. He's a nice bloke, Indeed. Done my first attempt with him as well!

• 3 weeks later...

So, went there again, "let's give it a go".

After riding my 125 for 50 min to get to the Instructor's office and get the bike, off we went to Enfield (and a couple of situation trials before). 3 minutes into the ride, I stop at a small junction and didn't notice the camber on my left-hand side. When I try to balance the bike, the weight of it is just too much and I drop it. Broke the footpeg. Instructor lends me his bike and went back to get another one for him... That was even BEFORE the test started! :oops:

Then all good and my test starts: "f**k, the same examiner again!". Yeah! I've got the same guy once again... That twat...

Anyways, off we went. His bike had a problem, so he followed me on a car this time.

All went ok... 2min to the end of the test, approaching a big roundabout, he asks me to turn left. I see a car approaching me from the right with the left indicator on. I start to go but notice that there is a car behind him and I can't see his indicator lights. so I play safe and brake (not even hard, ABS didn't even kick in). There was a big lorry approaching behind me and the lorry slam the brakes, skidding a bit and almost knocking me off. Then that's it! That's the point where I was told I failed once back.

Apart from that? 1 minor.

I am feeling a bit off after this one. The lorry didn't keep a safe distance and judge my actions wrongly... I paid the price.

4 failures on Mod2 is just too many. I am calling it a day, at least for some time. I can't really just rebook a resit straight away knowing I will (most likely) have to deal with that guy again...

Might give it a go somewhere else, like Uxbridge. Dunno

.....I see a car approaching me from the right with the left indicator on. I start to go but notice that there is a car behind him and I can't see his indicator lights. so I play safe and brake (not even hard, ABS didn't even kick in). There was a big lorry approaching behind me and the lorry slam the brakes, skidding a bit and almost knocking me off. Then that's it! That's the point where I was told I failed once back.

Sorry to hear about this - but don't let it put you off. However, have a think about what happened:

1. You were waiting to enter the roundabout to turn left - to take the first exit. I'm assuming (yes, I know) that you were at the head of the queue on the LH side of the entry to the roundabout.

2. A car approaches from the right, indicating to turn left. Correct response is to stay put UNTIL the car actually starts to turn left. DON'T rely on indicators - wait until it is absolutely clear what is going to happen.

3. Classic - you get fixated on what ONE vehicle on the roundabout is doing to the exclusion of all over the other traffic that is there. Try to get a picture of what is happening globally within that roundabout system. That is why roundabouts are often referred to a system - they work as an entirity - not as a lot of discrete, unconnected bits. Just as when thinking about other systems, it's easy to get wrapped up in the bits that you think are the only things affecting you. In fact, you are just a small cog in a bigger machine. But anyway -

4. When the car starts to turn off the roundabout, THEN go. At this point, it does not matter what the car behind is doing - it CAN'T hit you unless it ploughs through the car in front of it. The first car has provided you with a shielded window of opportunity.

5. Having started to move off, you then stopped as you have described, causing the issue with the lorry. This is indicative that you were not sufficiently confident that the manoeuvre that you started could be completed safely.

6. I reckon the fail was nothing to do with what the lorry did (although I agree it shouldn't have been that close) but was instead based on your apparent indecision regarding the emerging situation.

This brings to mind the adage "if there is any doubt, there is no doubt - don't do it".

It's a bit of a tough call - I know that you were probably feeling under pressure to go, but never let that pressure force you into a course of action that you are not happy with.

However, all in all a learning situation - it's just a sh*t that it is an expensive one.

Have a think, have another practice - and yes, consider another test centre. But don't give up. Believe it or not, this is making you a better rider. :thumb:

Edited by Anonymous

.....I see a car approaching me from the right with the left indicator on. I start to go but notice that there is a car behind him and I can't see his indicator lights. so I play safe and brake (not even hard, ABS didn't even kick in). There was a big lorry approaching behind me and the lorry slam the brakes, skidding a bit and almost knocking me off. Then that's it! That's the point where I was told I failed once back.

Sorry to hear about this - but don't let it put you off. However, have a think about what happened:

1. You were waiting to enter the roundabout to turn left - to take the first exit. I'm assuming (yes, I know) that you were at the head of the queue on the LH side of the entry to the roundabout.

2. A car approaches from the right, indicating to turn left. Correct response is to stay put UNTIL the car actually starts to turn left. DON'T rely on indicators - wait until it is absolutely clear what is going to happen.

3. When the car starts to turn off the roundabout, THEN go. At this point, it does not matter what the car behind is doing - it CAN'T hit you unless it ploughs through the car in front of it. The first car has provided you with a shielded window of opportunity.

4. Having started to move off, you then stopped as you have described, causing the issue with the lorry.

5. I reckon the fail was nothing to do with what the lorry did (although I agree it shouldn't have been that close) but was instead based on your apparent indecision regarding the emerging situation.

Actually, the examiner clearly said, at the debrief, that I should have just gone, based on the fact the guy had his indicator turned on! I get that my acceleration and brake gave the wrong signals to the lorry, but I agree with you and disagree with the examiner... Anyways, it's not something I can change now.

This guy failed me before for a WAY more controversial right-turn "cut corner", so I guess he's just one of those picky MFs that are not really opened to interpret things differently from his perspective.

As said above have a break go to a different test centre. Check the pass rates at centres around you (they vary wildly) and pick out the ones with higher pass rates so you can start afresh at a test centre that likely has positive examiners. Ring a the bike shops near the area and see who they recommend school wise as they vary wildly too and the pass rate may be down to a particularly good school.

That’s how I ended up taking my test in Bristol which was the last place I wanted to do my test and at a school I never would have picked- small grubby room above a garage in St Paul’s but it was a great experience.

Allow sufficient time to lick your wounds so renewed energies carry you through. You’ll be fine.

Believe it or not, this is making you a better rider. :thumb:

The above is an excellent point,all my failures have been a learning curve,as well as a disapointment! When you pass(next time) you'll probably view it in this way.

Stick with it and good luck.(the best riders always take the most attempts ) :D

Just commiserations dude. Sorry to hear it went down like that again. Chump examiner.

Thanks mate. As others said, I think it's time to change and try somewhere else. The only problem with doing that is that I will lose my "knowledge" of the area in which I am doing test in

I thought that too but it really can be a good thing. You wont make assumptions about what’s coming up traffic wise and will just ride what’s in front of you. The school will take you to the oops places on the routes they use before the test. In Bristol despite the vast test area it covers that amounted to one poorly marked round about, one set of weirdly off set traffic lights and a bus lane you can use but peeps don’t. Oh and those blasted 20 mile an hour zones. Not a lot really.

Hey [mention]Seidinger1986[/mention], so I wasn't there so I'm not going to make a statement about the situation in which you failed and any opinion about it. But I will echo what others have said. Absolutely try somewhere else, it'll remove that monkey from your brain. Don't worry about not knowing the area, that might be a good thing. It's a short time to dedicate 100% focus on the road and every sign you see.

You're not the first person to fail multiple times, so keep your pecker up. I can only assume you're not a total liability as you're riding a 125 and not currently dead, so just try to be in the mindset that you'll get there eventually, and in the meantime you can just carry on riding your 125.

Hey @Seidinger1986, so I wasn't there so I'm not going to make a statement about the situation in which you failed and any opinion about it. But I will echo what others have said. Absolutely try somewhere else, it'll remove that monkey from your brain. Don't worry about not knowing the area, that might be a good thing. It's a short time to dedicate 100% focus on the road and every sign you see.

You're not the first person to fail multiple times, so keep your pecker up. I can only assume you're not a total liability as you're riding a 125 and not currently dead, so just try to be in the mindset that you'll get there eventually, and in the meantime you can just carry on riding your 125.

Yeah... I am currently searching for a school that allows me to do it in Uxbridge.

I presume I am not a complete disaster since I've been riding for a year now and never even dropped the bike (apart from the school's bike as mentioned before). :lol:

He sounds like the kind of guy who would of failed you if you had pulled out anyway. I remember on one of my first driving lessons I went to pull out of a side road because the approaching car was indicating into the side road giving me a clear path, the instructor told me don’t make a move until the car has committed to the turn... by the time it was committed to the turn the car behind it was accelerating and my opportunity was gone but it saved me having a crash just in case that car didn’t turn in.