How a carb works

Stu

Carburetors are a monumental pain in the arse to getting working properly when they go out of kilter.

Not if you know what you are doing and have the kit.

Agree if you don't know how to set them up they can be a nightmare.

Carburetors are a monumental pain in the arse to getting working properly when they go out of kilter.

Not if you know what you are doing and have the kit.

Agree if you don't know how to set them up they can be a nightmare.

As I have previously observed, nothing puts the sh*ts up you more than hearing the immortal phrase

"My bikes running rough - I'm not much of a mechanic but I've stripped and cleaned the carbs...." :shock:

What they almost invariably fail to add is:

"...and now it won't run at all......"

At the end of the day a bike fitted with properly tuned carbs is so much nicer than a FI system. But I'll admit carbs can be a nightmare to set up right.

If you understand how the various circuits in the carb interact with each other, then it's not too bad, but the problem is those oh-so-tempting adjustment screws......"if those are adjustment screws, then they must need adjusting, right??"

I stuck a pair of 36 mm Dell'ortos on my Guzzi......those things were effin' brutal.....if you operated the throttle slide briskly, the accelerator pumps used to squirt a jet of neat petrol down the inlet tracts - but set up nicely, they were heavenly..... :angel12:

It's probably not everyone's idea of an ornament but I've got a Mikuni on my mantle piece .

Is that a tin of lapping paste next to the carb?

Sure as sh*t ain't cat food....... :D

It's probably not everyone's idea of an ornament but I've got a Mikuni on my mantle piece .

Is that a tin of lapping paste next to the carb?

Yep