Aspiring biker with question

newbiker90

Hi I heard many horror stories from both friends and family urging me not to get a motorbike. However I need a cheap way of commuting and bikes are much cheaper than cars - not only this but I love motorbikes!

But I was hoping people could answer me a few questions:

1: From your own experience how unsafe are motorbikes? How many years or miles have you done and how many accidents have you had?

2: How bad is it riding at winter? How worried do I have to be when there is black ice, salt, and or rainy conditions?

3: How cold is it when you ride in cold winds, bearable?

4: How dangerous is it riding at night + rain.

The above questions are my main worries if you guys could share your views it would be much appreciated, ty.

hi and welcome to the forum

if you go through life listening to others and worrying about the what ifs then you wouldn't leave your house!

Get a bike ride it and stop worrying!

I smashed my leg badly in an accident a few months ago... my mates girlfriend done very similar a year before me (but she has never ridden a bike and did it tripping down some stairs).

When I was in hospital there was a guy in bed opposite, he went over handlebars and broke back (but his bike didn't even have an engine).

I have seen people who have been in horrendous accidents (but they just happened to be crossing the road).

Bottom line, unless you are going to stay indoors and wrap yourself in cotton wall life's full of risks (even then plenty of cars seem to end up in living rooms :lol:).

It's as dangerous or as safe as you make it. Don't ride like a tool and use proper observations and it's not that bad. Proper observations go a long way to mitigating the risks posed by other road users not paying attention. Again when riding twisty bits proper planning and observations help you judge the correct speed for corners, etc. Ive had 2 accidents, both minor and both my fault and avoidable.

Winter riding isn't that bad provided you have good, warm gear to keep you comfortable. Bar muffs look crap but are brilliant for keeping your hands warm. Road surfaces can be slippery but again proper observations and planning will keep you safe. Actual snow is a no go though. I've done it a few times in emergencies but it isn't fun or safe.

Cold and wet weather requires waterproof, warm gear. Get good stuff and you'll be comfortable enough. RST Paragon 5 suit works for me at a reasonable price.

Night riding is no different to driving a car at night. Some bikes have better headlights that others. Just take your time and look ahead.

If you're sensible its not as dangerous uncomfortable as people make out but daily riding all year round is a bit of a lifestyle choice more than anything IMO. It's not for everyone, others love it.

1: From your own experience how unsafe are motorbikes? How many years or miles have you done and how many accidents have you had?

2: How bad is it riding at winter? How worried do I have to be when there is black ice, salt, and or rainy conditions?

I started riding a 250 in 1980 and passed the test (if you can call it a test) in 1982. Since then I have had 2 accidents.. The first just a few months after I started, gravel on a roundabout that I didn't see and the bike slid from under me. I was unharmed.. Going fairly slowly. This was at night. Second accident was jus a few years ago... An old fella started to pull out of a car park, I saw him and slowed right down.. At the last second he shot forward and I hit him at less than 10mph. Again I was unharmed.

The lesson for me was two fold. There's never any need to rush... Bikes are fast and slowing down for things is only a hassle if you make it so. Also... Wearing decent clothing helps a lot.

Winter riding is mostly fine. I set limits on conditions I will venture out in. Snow is a definite no-no. As is a hard frost soon after rain.. Or a generally wet day. The roads that are gritted tend to be fine.. But not the untreated roads I have to negotiate first. Particularly the hill I live upon. My insurance insists that the bike is kept on my property. So... Leaving it at the bottom of the hill overnight is out of the question. (Leaving it because it's impossible to ride it up the hill I mean)

In the winter... Those cold but crisp, dry days are great. Decent clothing helps as does items like heated grips... Or if you can justify it, heated clothing.

My bike has handguards, which reduce the windchill effect on my hands. I use heated grips and quality winter gloves. The clothing I wear is also of a quality and with that I tend to wear thermals. Being warm and comfortable is key.

Riding after dark is fine.. A lot depends on the bike you are riding. It's lights. And the local conditions. I generally add extra lights to my bikes fairly quickly after buying them.. But having said that, lights on modern bikes are leaps and bounds ahead of bikes from not so long ago.

Some people choose to take further training after they pass their test.. Advanced rider courses. That might be something for you to explore further down the line.

I've been riding bikes for over 40 years.......my 2 accidents were in my first 18 months......first one was i came off on a diesel spill on the way to work......second was the classic grabbing too much front brake on a damp road, and entirely my fault as I was following the car in front too closely......Both times I was completely uninjured and both times the damage to the bike was minimal.

If you plan to ride in winter you will need decent biking gear and plenty of layers underneath......and be prepared to use other transport when it's really icy or snowy..... :wink:

Hi I heard many horror stories from both friends and family urging me not to get a motorbike. However I need a cheap way of commuting and bikes are much cheaper than cars - not only this but I love motorbikes!

The above questions are my main worries if you guys could share your views it would be much appreciated, ty.

From all of the above it sound to me you are not very interested in motorcycling.

If is just mean of transportation than definitely you have some better options.

If is passion than nothing can stop you. :booty:

Motorcycle is dangerous as much as person who rides it.

Obviously there’s is no protection as you have it in the car and any contact will bring you down to the tarmac. That’s why good gear can reduce injuries.

Don’t forget there is no biker who didn’t fell, just those who did and who will. :thumb:

From one of the wise guys here:

"there are old bikers and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers"

Biking is dangerous, but you can mitigate the risks by training, anticipation, good gear and taking it easy. Oh and using the car when conditions become too bad.

1. Years is largely irrelevant - miles count. 7000 and no accidents, spills or drops, and I ride... Aggressively.

2. Riding straight is generally fine, but accelerating, braking or cornering on ice is not a good idea.

3. My hands are the only thing that gets cold. In <5° c at 50mph I can only manage 20 minutes before I lose feeling in my fingertips. Heated grips/gloves may help

4. At night not very at all if the roads are flat and debris-free. Rain, same as ice re cornering etc.

Ignore six, that's not even a real person that's just his sex doll.

We'll it looks like he's got it pregnant , which is quite an achievement.

.......miles count. 7000 and no accidents, spills or drops, and I ride... Aggressively..

Jeez, 7000 miles? Barely out of nappies.....

Crikey , I've done 12000 miles in two summers and that's only on my old ER5 .

Ignore six, that's not even a real person that's just his sex doll.

We'll it looks like he's got it pregnant , which is quite an achievement.

Nah, just not been washed out for a few days.

You must be mad to ride a motorbike, so don't fight it , surrender to the madness . Give it a go for forty years and then you will be able to decide if it's for you or not . " Just do it " is more than just a tee shirt that fat gamers wear when they go to sign on .

Edited by fastbob