Herald classic 125

Stephenj

Hi, just wondering if there's any herald classic 125 owners out there who wish to share their experiences and thoughts. I bought mine from a reputable Italian dealership who endorsed this bike as the only Chinese bike they would sell. From what I know a UK based firm get them in, modify them to a good standard. Only one issue when first got it delivered with an intermittent starter fault. Dealer came straight out, took it back to shop, identified it as starter solenoid issue, replaced it under warranty with no issues. I truly believe aesthetically it looks a lovely bike (mini bonnerville) build quality good, feels great to ride, sounds great and even tyres feel safe and secure. Stephen

Edited by Stephenj

I know 'em, the company is based a stones throw from here and my other half did her CBT on one.

That said, if you've already got the bike then don't bother asking what people think of that model, just get out there and enjoy riding it!

Ha ha you have a very good point. I had a lovely ride out on Sunday. Haven't had it too long so just wondered if there were an issues with this make of bike that I may need to be aware of. Organised ride out from Newcastke to Hartide this Sunday so weather permitting will give it a good run out.

i bought this bike after the first 600 miles i went to get the first service the mechanic shook his head and said it wouldnt be economical to service it. I then had to pay to get it scrapped however because it was so cheap even though it only lasted 600 miles and the scrappage fee it was still cheaper then using public transport for a couple of months so i think it was a good deal.

Thank you Hoggs.

First service was very expensive I thought (£140) but decided dealer was best suited to do it, plus for warranty, however been researching advice on best way to service and maintain myself. Although I'm 40 and a driving instructor I'm very new to bikes so any advice appreciated. Charlier777! Wow! How many lampposts did you crash into within your first 600 miles! Ha mine is still in tip top condition

• 2 years later...

I have just bought a Herald Classic 125. 2016 model. would be great to hear of others who have bought one, and any problems found ?

You didn't buy it off a guy called charlieh, by any chance? :shock:

i bought this bike after the first 600 miles i went to get the first service the mechanic shook his head and said it wouldnt be economical to service it. I then had to pay to get it scrapped however because it was so cheap even though it only lasted 600 miles and the scrappage fee it was still cheaper then using public transport for a couple of months so i think it was a good deal.

Why did you have to scrap it if it only needed a service ? You rode it there didn't you ? This doesn't make sense at all . I think you are just trying to upset the OP .

The electrics are the thing I was warned about. I don’t have a Herald I have a Mutt, it’s a very similar bike (but obviously not the same brand) and Chinese t’boot, the Heralds flagged up the same negatives.

My Ol’ Pops took one look at the bike tut tutted and emerged with a tub of grease (looked like Vaseline) and stuck it on some exposed parts.

I’d recommend a good coating of ACF-50 Watch the how to videos before you apply it and take the seat off to really get a coating over those electrics. Mines over a year old, was ridden year round mainly at its maximum ability, still looks new and is in fine fettle.

Enjoy.

• 2 months later...

I brought a brand new mutt and they leak fuel if you fill it up. I mean literally pour fuel all over the engine, over the air cylinder.. Very dangerous, terribly made. I would avoid mutt motorcycles at all costs. I had a 250 but hear the 125s have the same design fault..

Anyone else experienced a pool of petrol by your feat because you put more than hall a tank in..

I brought a brand new mutt and they leak fuel if you fill it up. I mean literally pour fuel all over the engine, over the air cylinder.. Very dangerous, terribly made. I would avoid mutt motorcycles at all costs. I had a 250 but hear the 125s have the same design fault..

Anyone else experienced a pool of petrol by your feat because you put more than hall a tank in..

Nope had no problems with leaking other than the time I came off doing a u turn on a gravel car park :oops: and you can’t blame a bike that vents through the filler cap for leaking when lying on its side and past the capacity.

Youre not overfilling it are you?

I searched the forum for the word Herald and found a poster called appropriately Harktheherald . Unfortunately they appear to be a one post wonder though. You could always try a PM .

Ever heard of overfilling? You ain't supposed to fill it right to the top.......Just sayin'.

And while we're at it - what's an "air cylinder"?

And by the way, "feet" are the things on the ends of your legs. "Feats" are achievements like trolling on several fora at once........

And by the way, "feet" are the things on the ends of your legs. "Feats" are achievements like trolling on several fora at once........

Naughty

Naughty

If you think Speedy was naughty you should read the replies on BCF. :wink:

Naughty

If you think Speedy was naughty you should read the replies on BCF. :wink:

I just have, most amusing.

I’m not too struck with BCF- too much posturing.

Surprised this thread is a mix of Herald and Mutt, they are two different brands.

• 2 months later...

Recently bought this bike and love it, but it needs some work. I am finding it difficult to source parts. I need a throttle cable, and new rear brakes. Also, i am unsure on the level of fork oil that it requires so any help there would be great too 🤙