What would you guys do???

I also have a CBR125R . I do a 35 mile commute (not every day). It is under powered for dual carriage ways but 50MPH is comfortable. Yes, it boring, but ALL dual carriageways are boring.

I can't believe that you can pass one test and ride an unlimited bike on lessons alone. I got my CBT a couple of months ago and I'm 1000 miles in. I know that my riding has improved in that time. I've made mistakes but I'm not dead which is a plus. 1000cc would have been far riskier. Passed my theory this week and first big boy bike lesson tomorrow..... with the 125 to practice on.

I also have a CBR125R . I do a 35 mile commute (not every day). It is under powered for dual carriage ways but 50MPH is comfortable. Yes, it boring, but ALL dual carriageways are boring.

I can't believe that you can pass one test and ride an unlimited bike on lessons alone. I got my CBT a couple of months ago and I'm 1000 miles in. I know that my riding has improved in that time. I've made mistakes but I'm not dead which is a plus. 1000cc would have been far riskier. Passed my theory this week and first big boy bike lesson tomorrow..... with the 125 to practice on.

All the best with the lesson :thumb:

Same path I took, now you have decent 125 experience you will be fine on a 650 :) it does come a lot easier than the 125!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I am definetly going down the 125 route, buses are boiling my piss.

I have being and looked at a few different dealers that sell 125's so far its in between the a few bikes. I really like the look of the Hyosung gtr125 and the Suzuki gsxr 125, now before I get slated lol I am 6 foot tall give or take and I am about 95kg in weight. I am not a little dude, my cbt is next week so I suppose I will make a decision then I have sat on a Hyosung gtr 125 and it felt fine. I am going to have a look at a Suzuki dealership tomorrow. I am also going to have a look at a Yamaha MT125 that has 2000miles on the clock at a dealer ship in Peterlee at the weekend. And I am tempted by the Yamaha YS125 as they are within budget. I have being preapproved for finance upto 5000 quid so its decisions decisions time soon.

Well its done all bar my cbt lol

I have being today and had a look at some bikes in Durham, I have bought a late 2016 Yamaha MT 125 it has just over 2000miles on the clock. Its costing me 3150 and it comes with 6months warranty/a year mot and a year tax. The dealer have also chucked in an Oxford chain and lock. The bike is in mint condition, I looked at others but they were not a good fit I sat on a Suzuki GSXR 125, and an older Yamaha YZF 125 which felt bloody tiny.

The bikes in Silver and it has one previous owner who has basically done the same as me ie bought it commuted on it abit then got through his direct access.

Haha it already has lol

Just finished done my cbt all past all done i dont have to go back. I have emailed off pics etc to the finance company and all being well i should be getting my baby on Friday.

My bike

http://www.davidsykes-superbikes.com/showroom/yamaha/yamaha-mt125-abs-16-reg/

I have being and bought a lid today too i took on board what someone said re old lids

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/1?q=ls2+lid&client=ms-android-samsung&sa=X&biw=360&bih=612&tbs=vw:g,ss:44&prmd=sivn&prds=num:1,epd:17781134581351610008,paur:ClkAsKraXwShdwJd28l03hwv7h2q-kDDO8vjwejCRqM5ciVafXJCwbHRTmjRcsQP6v890h33yJuwcEpzJPfAVkokBqTiKmh8SDqOCCvT1uVn64KAEH8PBEhX_xIZAFPVH70iy3zZ-o9GYvXC7f1dh9wyAUM1GQ,prmr:1,pid:17781134581351610008,cs:1&ved=0ahUKEwjy0JjIvsPeAhVRfMAKHVWGCMMQgjYI8gU

Jacket and boots will have to wait till payday. The lids canny it has 2 visors a drop down one and a clear one.

I need a bit of further advice i dont know what to do or whether its just me. I have had the bike out 3-4 times since i got it. I would of being out more but cash is tight and i am waiting for payday to buy leathers and trousers and boots.etc etc My issue is the mirrors on my Mt125 seem rubbish.

I am a bigger dude. ie 6foot plus and 95 kg plus an ex rugby player so i am very broad. Every time i have adjusted them they seem not to either stay in place, or on a ride i am having to pull over and adjust them as i cant see past me unless i ride with my arms tucked in. Gerrrrr i think some tinkering is needed here or i need to see if i can move them out.

Thats the only negative with the bike, everything bar that its fine. It does 60-65 comfortably, it handles better than what i did my cbt on (honda cb 125 thing). I dont think its gunna break any speed records or it dont like carrying a big dude but my riding confidence is still mehhhh very low its improving but i have no confidence while i have limited protective gear bar gloves and a lid.

• 2 weeks later...

You can get mirror extenders to increase view, and reduce the chicken dance with elbow when you use the mirrors.

Some mirrors can be prone to moving if not tightened up enough.

A for gear if your commuting I would look at textiles not leathers. Dryer, warmer, more vents for summer more versatile.

Ebay Facebook market place and the like can be a good source of second hand gear to reduce costs...

:stupid:

Check out secondhand gear on eBay.....you can get some bargains at this time of year....... 8-)

Check out bar end mirrors......yeah, they increase the width of the bike, but I find they work well for me...... 8-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Well I havent posted in a while, my bike has being a life saver I now commute home in 35minutes not 90-120 minutes. This has being awesome since 3 months ago my work start time altered from 1030pm too 8pm gerrrrrrr.

I will be honest I chickened out using it till March as up here the ice etc etc i just didnt fancy it.

I am still using my MT125 i will post up a pic later if I can, next week I am going too start lessons too get through my mod one as I am well itching for something bigger. My MT125 is great but I am sick of L plates and it tops out at 60-65mph. It will do 70 but i have too be caneing it too death and as my username states I am itching too get a Daytona.

I was going too ask guys whats are peoples thoughts re fitting Iradium plugs/Kn air filters and kn oil filters too boost performance. Are they worth the money??? I watched a youtube vid where a guy got an extra 5hp by going all kn stuff and he tested everything on a dyno.

Glad it's going well, save your money, if it needs plugs and filters then fit what's supposed to be thee, I doubt you would get much more out of it than what you have.

Put your money to lessons and a pass.

As for getting an extra 5hp, 30% more power with plugs and filter unlikely, you woul need to increase fueling, you are limited to under 15hp by law too.

If you want a bigger 125 buy a varadero it has an extra cylinder but still 15hp it will do 80mph it's on the Internet so it must be true.

Get your full licence, if bike needs a service well you could change out plugs filters it may not cost a whole heap more but I would not expect miracles..

As for bike for commuting I would look for bike for commuting and a toy bike as well for rides. Maintenance and fuel costs soon mount up, biggest thing I noticed compared with my 125. If you have managed this long on your 125 I would seriously consider keeping it though the winter, as weather comes in and your hooked on the bike. Its lighter and slower if you do manage to drop it.

Either way glad your enjoying your riding iit does get you to work with a smile...

Okay I will at service I am not gunna piss about i will just ask for stock parts and pay for a decent oil. This is fine for commuting on its just weird 0-60 it flies upto 60. Then you pop it in 6th and the gear might as well not exist its the 3-5mph extra gear lol I am sticking with the MT125 till my tests done.

Next bike I fancy a Suzuki Sv 650 when I am through my test going from 15bhp with this upto 110-120hp on a Daytona will be a ted mental. A mate recommended riding something geared down and less nuts for a gear. By the time I am through my test I should be able too clear the finance on this too.