Motorcycle Live (NEC) this year....

Guest Speedy23

I also took a pack up, washed it down with a few cans of lager which I also took.

It’s £5 / pint for boggo Carlsberg at the show, you can get 4 x 1pint cans of a premium lager for that and have £15 left for 2 necktubes 👍

I’m definitely not tight fisted, I wish I was. I can’t abide being ripped off. It used to be the norm at Crufts to line up the trolleys and have a shared buffet with other folk from your breed so the NEC banned it :evil:

That year I queued for 20 minutes to get to the bar, ordered two double GnT’s and handed over £20, it was insanely noisy and I couldn’t hear what the barman was repeatedly saying... “ANOTHER 3 QUID PLEASE” £23 for 2 doubles! The food I queued for was overpriced and If I served up that rubbish at home it wouldn’t get eaten. Since then I’ve never been to the NEC without taking food. Speaking of which I better make the wraps cos me and Mr Slowly are going tomorrow 👏👏👏

If anyone else is about and fancies a cup of tea let me know- assuming the tea isn’t overpriced or the queue too long that is!

Just back from the NEC bumped in to @tsurugi-ijin and @@Saddlebags and popped across to the datatool stand to see @Oasis too

Was a good day out 8-)

I have a brilliant pic from when I first saw you and forum aunt :mrgreen: Will try and upload it if I can.

Glad that we're not the only cheapskates that brought a flask...

Yeah we found a quiet corner to sit on the floor and chomp on a pack lunch :D It seems to have all gotten 10x as expensive as when I first started going.

It’s was as usual enjoyable. I sat on a lot of bikes. Was disappointed that no-one seems to make what I want- something with a low seat height, light but not completely gutless that’s fine on the road but can manage a bit of off road. For obvious reasons every bike that does off road automatically has a high seat height and I’m fine not touching the ground on tarmac but off road- nope I’m not.

I thought I’d find something at the Honda stand and the guy was incredibly helpful but all the bikes required an extra inch or two of leg length. After asking what I wanted it for they initially guided me towards the Africa Twin!?!?! I had to laugh when I saw it, I’d need to carry a stepladder to get on and off! Gerontious must have a few metres of leg!

The Kawasaki Ninja 650 or 300 was by far the best fit size wise and not heavy but I’d landed on Honda because they’re everywhere, no matter the country (more or less) you’ll find someone who knows how to fix a Honda and can get parts. I can’t imagine finding Kawasaki in Peru! Anyhow instead of me moaning here’s some pics from today-

Pretty but the chrome finish wasn’t the finest

675C2454-716B-4996-8358-4E5A9D0B3C98.thumb.jpeg.7b3d2679dbbbd7fef06acea37ab58bd7.jpeg

Something for Wallace n Gromet

347B4644-4AD5-49E1-B892-9FD5F2B28FAE.thumb.jpeg.9f9889903c148c6a8e00361c25f6b7dd.jpeg

Scuse the thumb print

94331EB7-9D70-4C5F-A640-95B374FF55BE.thumb.jpeg.d040fafb37fe2b874132833c817550dd.jpeg

Nicer looking in real life, my feet dangled about 20cm off the floor!

930E8297-D19C-4D32-9149-D638468A556C.thumb.jpeg.6708db0ddc28afc5a2ea87aa222a3e1c.jpeg

Amazing artwork

F5209641-612B-4705-A8DD-C5F751CB5AA1.thumb.jpeg.020f9b42d5f51648f129d3fc4da44b0f.jpeg

91AD1067-81BA-4DBB-BAC7-2F1EAAFA4EA5.thumb.jpeg.7323a8d08eacc0edabeac95b676263d2.jpeg

A seat for those with no time to stop for the loo!

C441B0C6-E34B-4C8B-9509-5210FF379CE3.thumb.jpeg.6a88d89aefc53d36abc8b5e648df3f53.jpeg

Had a good day out at ML with [mention]JRH[/mention] yesterday. Bit miffed to find the clothing and accessories stands interspersed with the manufacturers - it made looking for gear a bit more difficult as you couldn't be sure that you had seen everything. Having looked at what was on offer: Very impressed with the new Royal Oilfields. They just look.....right. I think they will give Triumph a run for their money......coming in at just under £6k, you should be able to sort the suspension for another couple of hundred. If I were a Japanese motorcycle company, I would be worried.

Lots of very durable-looking Chinese bikes about for not silly money and they seem to have identified a market sector that the Japanese have either never noticed or have forgotten about - people looking for traditionally(ie British) styled smaller capacity bikes of 250 - 400 cc. There were some very nice cafe racers that look like the real thing.

In a similar vein, Benelli. Italian designed, Chinese built - but look at what you get for your money. Again, in terms of finish quality, not a fag-papers differrnce between them and what was on the big make stands. Definitely one to consider for the future.

[mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention] - did you see the little 250 V-Strom on the Suzi stand? That looks like it could be a real hoot.

Unfortunately, the show proved to be a salopette-free zone, but JRH scored a pair of Held gloves and I bought a little Shad tank-bag/pouch kinda thingy that just clips onto the FJR filler-cap ring using 3 very small studs that replace 3 of the screws. We shall see how it fares in real life. Talking of FJRs, [mention]Stu[/mention] - did you see the new one on the Yammy stand? Really weird mirrors - they looked really nice from the front, but from the rider's side they seemed to have the old -style mirror lenses - I think they must have been wind- tunnel prototypes to get shape right but definitely not the final iteration.

All in all, a good day - usual hassle car parking, with parking marshals who didn't understand what the word "marshal" means......surprisingly, beer not too bad - 2 pints Amstel for £9.50 so not a lot more than in the pub. :cheers:

Thanks to JRH for providing the lift in.

Now, just got to arrange the test ride on that new Continental GT.......

[mention]Speedy23[/mention] annoyingly as I was leaving the NEC I realised Suzuki was the only stand I hadn’t visited, couldn’t face trapsing back, decided I’ll visit a local dealer instead so I’ll definitely have a look at that bike while I’m there thanks :thumb:

I did spy some salopettes while I was there though. When I was at the crazy horse I picked up a catalogue called ‘IF IT WORKS IN SCANDINAVIA’

A self explanatory title and full of clothing and layering systems for the icier climbs. It’s made up of three brands Jofama, Lindstrands, Halvarssons. I think this might be their website-

https://jofama.se/mcsm/

The gear is pricey though and it’s cheaper to search for salopettes under snowmobile gear on places like FC moto or Storm https://www.storm-motor.fi/en/ajovarusteet/kelkkailuvarusteet/

I found the the Finnish and Nordic countries had better and cheaper gear than the American Canadian sites, not to mention the pain and cost of returns to America.

Unless you were looking for ski gear at ML? :lol:

@Speedy23 annoyingly as I was leaving the NEC I realised Suzuki was the only stand I hadn’t visited, couldn’t face trapsing back, decided I’ll visit a local dealer instead so I’ll definitely have a look at that bike while I’m there thanks :thumb:

I did spy some salopettes while I was there though. When I was at the crazy horse I picked up a catalogue called ‘IF IT WORKS IN SCANDINAVIA’

A self explanatory title and full of clothing and layering systems for the icier climbs. It’s made up of three brands Jofama, Lindstrands, Halvarssons. I think this might be their website-

https://jofama.se/mcsm/

The gear is pricey though and it’s cheaper to search for salopettes under snowmobile gear on places like FC moto or Storm https://www.storm-motor.fi/en/ajovarusteet/kelkkailuvarusteet/

I found the the Finnish and Nordic countries had better and cheaper gear than the American Canadian sites, not to mention the pain and cost of returns to America.

Unless you were looking for ski gear at ML? :lol:

Thanks for that SCM but I was after some (yes, I know, boring..... :roll:) hide ones that are specifically made for motorcycling, like these:

Salopette.PNG.7d74913ff71766467dc7e1e19213ac8d.PNG

I know JTS do them, and a company called SkinTan - both in Leicester, so I might beetle over there at some point next week-ish to have a look at them.....

Good day out with [mention]Speedy23[/mention] . Bought some gloves but managed to refrain from other spending. Need to put something on the xmas list. 8-)

Talking of FJRs, @Stu - did you see the new one on the Yammy stand? Really weird mirrors - they looked really nice from the front, but from the rider's side they seemed to have the old -style mirror lenses - I think they must have been wind- tunnel prototypes to get shape right but definitely not the final iteration.

Yes I saw them and I said to the wife that they look unfinished! they look like they should have a cover on although looking closely at them they had little neat bolts in so maybe that is how they will be :?

Hey @Slowlycatchymonkey

.....this is what the Suzy looks like......neat, huh?

Yep definitely neat. There’s a few Im gonna need to test ride, will add it to the list. I’m going to have to sacrifice something and I’m guessing weight is the easiest thing to throw out of the window but I’m also wondering if a lower cc is going to be something I’ll be happy with over distance :scratch:

If I’m being honest really I want the 9T I’ve got but with fairings a large screen and racked out with panniers 😬

Nice laderhosen your kidneys will be pleased :D

[mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention] the v strom is a little short on suspension travel for proper off road and a bit gutless for sand but it's a cracking lite bike with good mpg, some spoke wheels, decent tyres and s few extras and it would handle most surfaces, the 650 would be pick of the bunch but I fear even with lowseat it may be a tad tall.

Back on topic glad you all had a good time it's on my to do list next year.

Hey @Slowlycatchymonkey

Yep definitely neat. There’s a few Im gonna need to test ride, will add it to the list. I’m going to have to sacrifice something and I’m guessing weight is the easiest thing to throw out of the window but I’m also wondering if a lower cc is going to be something I’ll be happy with over distance :scratch:

If I’m being honest really I want the 9T I’ve got but with fairings a large screen and racked out with panniers 😬

The reviews I've seen on this reckon it's good for 85 tops so it will be OK for beetling about on.... stick a pair of Trail Wings on it and it should be good off road as well. As far as capacity goes, didn't one of the women who have done the big trans-continentals use a Honda 250? The Suzi is based on a commuter bike so engine spares should be plentiful. Anyway, interested to see what you think when you've seen one in the flesh (so to speak!).

Hey @Slowlycatchymonkey

The reviews I've seen on this reckon it's good for 85 tops so it will be OK for beetling about on.... stick a pair of Trail Wings on it and it should be good off road as well. As far as capacity goes, didn't one of the women who have done the big trans-continentals use a Honda 250? The Suzi is based on a commuter bike so engine spares should be plentiful. Anyway, interested to see what you think when you've seen one in the flesh (so to speak!).

Yep she did and I look forward to hearing about it soon (in the flesh so to speak) but she did suffer a bit as a consequence (so I’ve read so far😬) but also many benefits as you’ve outlined.

Like test driving a car you want to take it fully laden up that steep incline (or two) before you say “ok”

That’s why test riding a bike in Wales is a joy.

Sound suggestions as usual, I’m wondering if you’re becoming a stalwart?!

• 3 weeks later...

Salopette.PNG

Ended up getting the Skintan ones.....they are really nice quality, only thing is the zips on the pockets are a bit "new", but as ever with leather clothing, they will need breaking in. The lady at Skintan seemed to think they were going to stop making them soon, so if you're interested in any, sooner rather than later, as they say.....but, for the price (£189) well pleased with them.