ER5 Engine Swap / Build

We need disaster pictures, come on..

Good news! I forgot to tighten an oil feed banjo bolt and then I fitted the starter motor on top of it . What a complete knob head ! What a relief though!

WP_20181117_11_30_44_Pro.thumb.jpg.99b10bb53eb3004f21f0f3712994a491.jpg

WP_20181117_11_30_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.1d8bebff8ca6032a7fcfab1e779e2c7e.jpg

Sorted ! Starts and runs great . Sounds really good, well , good for an ER5 anyway. Good steady idle off the choke and blips nicely, no smoke , no leaks . The final test will be the gearbox so im going to warm it up a few times to cure the HT paint. Petrol tap is dripping because I let it dry out but is reduced since I filled the tank.I will wait until tomorrow to ride it now because I don't want petrol blowing all over my fresh paint. Hopefully the rubber in the fuel tap will have swelled again by then . Thanks to everybody who showed an interest and a big thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

WP_20181117_10_34_19_Pro.thumb.jpg.e2597d49ec707c9d99b3f37ccc7b5025.jpg

Thank goodness for that.

I’d got visions of a Cov Telegraph headline

‘Huge Conflagration Lights Up Coventry Sky, Blamed on Irresponsible Use of Motorcycle in Domestic Residence’

W.M. Police say “only means of identifying the victim by surviving ‘Itchy Bum’ stickers”

Good effort, glad it’s ended well 👍

Never had any doubts. Good job Bob.

Cheers mate, it started first touch and actually made me jump ! I definitely know the oil pump works, it pumped about ½ a litre in ten seconds....all over the floor !

Thank goodness for that.

I’d got visions of a Cov Telegraph headline

‘Huge Conflagration Lights Up Coventry Sky, Blamed on Irresponsible Use of Motorcycle in Domestic Residence’

W.M. Police say “only means of identifying the victim by surviving ‘Itchy Bum’ stickers”

Good effort, glad it’s ended well 👍

As you may know it wouldn't be the first time I've set it on fire 🔥 ( nob of the day )

Ok , I've just been for a ride on it and .... IT'S A GOER !!! 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁. Changes gear as smooth as silk , no clunks , greatly reduced vibration, an entirely different exhaust note . It's everything I hoped it would be . Thanks again for everyone's interest and encouragement. Now where are me thermals ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just been out and put 60 miles on it and its still going strong . The acceleration is much better, power is definitely up and the transmission is much smoother. There are no leaks or smoke just a strong smell of HT paint cureing. There is a bit of vibration but that's pretty normal for an ER5 and I haven't balanced the carbs yet so there's possible room for improvement. I still haven't thrashed it too hard but it did touch 90 without much fuss and there seemed to be plenty of power in reserve. ER5s are alleged to do about 110 but you wouldn't want to ! So , all set for next summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fastbob if you don't mind me asking the bars you have on your bike. I see they are Renthal are they a standard bend ?

I didn't fit them myself but I did used to sell Renthal bars years ago. These are probably described as Road Bike Low . I was often baffled by Renthal bars because they seemed to have various descriptions but a lot of them looked the same . This probably doesn't help much.

• 1 month later...

It's great reading these rebuild posts when it all works out and is a credit to the rebuilder.

I have been rebuilding a 1988 cb125 twin, and every time I do something to it something else rears its ugly head. the last time I did anything to it I got it running and ticking away nicely, but had to switch engine off to get bike out of garage in preparation for a quick run up and down the alley to check clutch and gear operation under load. however, once outside the bike flatly refused to start! :scratch: :notworking:

It's great reading these rebuild posts when it all works out and is a credit to the rebuilder.

I have been rebuilding a 1988 cb125 twin, and every time I do something to it something else rears its ugly head. the last time I did anything to it I got it running and ticking away nicely, but had to switch engine off to get bike out of garage in preparation for a quick run up and down the alley to check clutch and gear operation under load. however, once outside the bike flatly refused to start! :scratch: :notworking:

Did you notice that your watch had lost time and were there any strange lights in the sky ?👽

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...