Metropolitan Police - use of tactical contact on mopeds

Martyn850

I find this really sad.

You can't ride your bike to work. Is this from the imminent threat of violence you perceive?

Do we think a media frenzy is also affecting perceptions of risk?

I live on a not too nice area. Ride my bike when I want and think nothing of taking into the city centre or the 2 nearby towns which are officially classed as deprived areas.

We have the same quad dickheads n moped riding buffoons but I cannot honestly say I've ever been threatened or felt intimidated.

The only conversation I have ever had with any of them was when I instigated the conversation and explained some of the highway code.....

The reason I don't ride my bike to that site, not because I would feel intimidated riding it there. Its because there is a now a genuine chance as desirable tidy bike it would be there at the end of my shift. So I would rather take my car, even if it means an extra hour in traffic at the beginning or end of shift. If the bike gets stolen once it will cost much more time and effort than extra time pleasure than riding the bike.

As for being intimidated, thank f**k I told my misses when I jumped a set of lights on a roundabout in the car leaving another site due to a un plated moped acting suspicious. A few weeks later there was a report of an attempted hi-jacking on that roundabout.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/16246694.hampshire-police-investigate-after-masked-moped-gang-targeted-drivers-in-southampton/

It is nothing to do with perceived risk, when your dog is running round unlit on a common with a motorbike. If the dog gets run-over my misses will fooking kill me, that is a real risk, hence I dont walk the dog there...

9ish -5ish hours yup no problems I would ride in and out of my local city Southampton 2 in the morning I am sorry I am seeing risk. Routinely when working in the city day or night I would see 1 or 2 bikes a day with no plate and no lid, a good 70% of my job is spent on site.

https://www.carolenash.com/insidebikes/news/uks-top-motorcycle-theft-hotspots-revealed/

I agree personal risk can easily be perceived. Its what efforts its worth to avoid it that matters.. For me an extra hour in the car, or a fine for jumping lights (possibly now legitimately) and the inconvenience of 20 minutes in the car to not walking the dog in that area are acceptable against the dangers.

I was driving about Southampton Sunday night. Stopped at zorbas in Bedford place for a kebab at about midnight.

I saw a few mopeds but didn't see any trouble..

Its my home town but I won't park my bike on the streets there anymore. Such a shame.

You're only putting forward the fact that the Officers were on restricted duties. Not why, or for what they were being investigated. So it make it difficult to judge whether the investigation was necessary or not.

By the sound of it it the accusations where serious enough and it has been investigated in greater depth by higher authorities than you, then you might know better?

Our system is not perfect, but I have spent time in countries and places with systems far less perfect on many many levels. Let them get on with there job, but that is trust from the public and politicians, yes monitor and "police" but trust....

Eh? The original point was that Officers were being taken off the street to be investigated, I'm merely pointing out that we cannot judge whether the investigation (and the depth/length) merited what ever was alleged without knowing what was alleged. But as you say "higher authorities" decided the investigation and the length/depth of it was warranted so they must be right, in which case there's no argument or debate to be had about the subject at all...

Our system is not perfect, but I have spent time in countries and places with systems far less perfect on many many levels. Let them get on with there job, but that is trust from the public and politicians, yes monitor and "police" but trust....

I'm not sure what point your tying to make with this? People should just trust the Police because people in less developed nations have it worse?? If so, why?

I believe it's been widely accepted that she was suffering from complications related to her diabetes during this interview? Whether you believe it or not, it's interesting how Boris Johnson manages to escape similar vitriol.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/22/boris-johnson-interview-disaster-diane-abbott

Good god do you really believe that I'm sorry no one is that stupid and in a job of power . As for that blonde fooking half wit .who only intelligent answer to date is diddbly doblly doo verrry nicccce wibble wibble .

These are the ppl who are supoted to be in charge of this country . I hope humans are wiped out soon and the animals inherits the earth b4 we destroy it ...

I believe it's been widely accepted that she was suffering from complications related to her diabetes during this interview? Whether you believe it or not, it's interesting how Boris Johnson manages to escape similar vitriol.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/22/boris-johnson-interview-disaster-diane-abbott

Good god do you really believe that I'm sorry no one is that stupid and in a job of power . As for that blonde fooking half wit .who only intelligent answer to date is diddbly doblly doo verrry nicccce wibble wibble .

These are the ppl who are supoted to be in charge of this country . I hope humans are wiped out soon and the animals inherits the earth b4 we destroy it ...

I dunno, i’m no fan and she does love a clanger but here she looked a bit of a mess.

Fair enough.

IMO, If they’ve applied there training correctly then there’s no case to answer. We can’t make their decisions exempt from scrutiny, however. That’s the standard across the board, no matter what job you do.

It's the length of time it takes to investigate. Our office had 4 officers on restricted duties not long ago, due to one or 2 incidents. Over a year they were office bound and the result in the end? Nothing. No learning and no prosecution, they were completely cleared of any wrong doing and allowed to go back to normal duties. The stress it put on them was enormous, as they all faced loosing their jobs and had to have solicitors represent them. It's had a massive effect on most of them and they aren't remotely interested in the job anymore

You're only putting forward the fact that the Officers were on restricted duties. Not why, or for what they were being investigated. So it make it difficult to judge whether the investigation was necessary or not.

It's the length of time that's the issue, the investigation was necessary, but should not have taken the time it did. If I'd investigated and assault on a member of the public and took that long, I'd have been sacked. The CCTV was shown in the hearing and both officers from the one case were cleared straight away. It literally took minutes.

It's the length of time it takes to investigate. Our office had 4 officers on restricted duties not long ago, due to one or 2 incidents. Over a year they were office bound and the result in the end? Nothing. No learning and no prosecution, they were completely cleared of any wrong doing and allowed to go back to normal duties. The stress it put on them was enormous, as they all faced loosing their jobs and had to have solicitors represent them. It's had a massive effect on most of them and they aren't remotely interested in the job anymore

It's the length of time that's the issue, the investigation was necessary, but should not have taken the time it did. If I'd investigated and assault on a member of the public and took that long, I'd have been sacked. The CCTV was shown in the hearing and both officers from the one case were cleared straight away. It literally took minutes.

Sounds to me like the process needs addressing rather then handing out immunity to investigation.

Well so far they have only broken a few bones...

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/met-police-moped-tackle-tactics-leave-criminals-broken-bones?fbclid=IwAR2x_pcazrCUxXSz5es9jad8-MK3t91VSSAdn1bW8aWvEFZh1yOc8Tos0W4

"My officers make life-and-death decisions every day of the week, they're very accountable. They make the best possible decisions. We are in a risk business. These are people who have been repeatedly left in no doubt whatsoever that there's a police car right behind them.

If you look over your shoulder and drive on as fast as possible, putting the public in danger, you should expect we will come after you."

As the article says they are accountable. They just need to be given the slack to get on with the job, without looking ver there shoulder for the pext threat of prosecution.

And the world's gone mad

Nope, I would say there is more to come....

https://news.sky.com/story/met-police-officer-under-criminal-investigation-for-knocking-down-moped-teen-11571434

If I was a copper I would not go near another stolen bike, it's a no win situation. Its only going to damage my career, my family life, my mental health, my pension...

the judges are clearly taking brown envelopes from someone to make these decisions

Or is it just that even the judges are scared to do the right thing if there is no president.

Some one makes a complaint or appeal and in todays world it must be investigated.

Your dog bites Burgler (with hammer and crowbar and mask on face). in your unlocked back yard. Who's fault is it?

Once upon a time the Burgler would not complain as he would of been fitted up for last 3 burglaries in area.

Now your poor dog is on death Row.

Some one give the police some respect, if this is how they are treated and people act outside a school.

https://youtu.be/08j-e6hc3Vc

This country is a sad place.

the judges are clearly taking brown envelopes from someone to make these decisions

Or is it just that even the judges are scared to do the right thing if there is no president.

Some one makes a complaint or appeal and in todays world it must be investigated.

Your dog bites Burgler (with hammer and crowbar and mask on face). in your unlocked back yard. Who's fault is it?

Once upon a time the Burgler would not complain as he would of been fitted up for last 3 burglaries in area.

Some one give the police some respect, if this is how they are treated and people act outside a school.

I'd happily knock him off his bike and reverse over him.

And if a yob on a moped knocks over a pedestrian etc there will be shouts of "Why didn't the police stop them"

The police can't win in this situation.

The guy behind the camera is obviously a dick, but how aggressive is that officer? He is the one that escalated the situation by acting aggressive and petulant, follwoing this twerp around. And for what? Because someone said this nobhead said some mean words?

Respect is earned.

The police have now been put into an impossible situation. It is wrong to approve the tactic and then charge someone with doing that very same tactic. If the charge related to a cop who had rammed a slow moped at 60 mph and then repeatedly driven over the youth, then I would understand a charge. But that did not happen.

The police have now been put into an impossible situation. It is wrong to approve the tactic and then charge someone with doing that very same tactic. If the charge related to a cop who had rammed a slow moped at 60 mph and then repeatedly driven over the youth, then I would understand a charge. But that did not happen.

As Joe85 pointed out, the officer concerned had not been sufficiently trained / tested to go over 20mph above the speed limit, and over stepped the mark.

All of us have to stick to rules in our working life and there can be dire consequences if we don’t, including the police.

Don’t get me wrong.

I have no sympathy for the skag involved, and the paltry size of the compensation is probably due to the officer acting outside of the law in the pursuit rather than the consequences of the actual stop.

If the officer had been trained to perform this tactic then it wouldn’t have been an issue.

As Joe85 pointed out, the officer concerned had not been sufficiently trained / tested to go over 20mph above the speed limit, and over stepped the mark.

All of us have to stick to rules in our working life and there can be dire consequences if we don’t, including the police.

Don’t get me wrong.

I have no sympathy for the skag involved, and the paltry size of the compensation is probably due to the officer acting outside of the law in the pursuit rather than the consequences of the actual stop.

If the officer had been trained to perform this tactic then it wouldn’t have been an issue.

Its a joke. The officer didn't force the criminal to drive at speed and attempt to evade the police.

The lack of police training didn't contribute to the accident, the criminal would have taken exactly the same risks to evade a trained officer as he did an untrained officer.

As for the idiot Cyclist. He needs a good kicking from the other parents. He's an angry bully who shouts at women and clearly has issues with the police as he's on the defensive as soon as the policeman arrives.

He also seems to have read just enough "legal advice" to know how to cause the officer problems. He probably doesn't this on a regular basis.

I feel sorry for the child who clearly has a bully for a father and who's been shown that it's acceptable to ignore authority and to bully women like the headmistress.

Poor kid...

The police officer is very restrained. The whole situation could have been avoided if the Cyclist hadn't gone on the defensive! He's got issues or someone to hide, or both

Fooking idiot .... just out with his camera looking for confrontation to get his likes on YouTube or what ever .

The guy behind the camera is obviously a dick, but how aggressive is that officer? He is the one that escalated the situation by acting aggressive and petulant, follwoing this twerp around. And for what? Because someone said this nobhead said some mean words?

Respect is earned.

Bollox .