2018 UK Challenge 100 - Discussion Thread

Grumpy Old Git

Cracking roads in Wales - especially if you go over the 'tops'. The weather can be a bit mean though.

If stopping SE Wales, then look for the PARVA FARMHOUSE in Tintern Parva. Off-road parking at the rear for the bike. Cracking (huge) fresh cooked breakfast and an interesting ride.

:thumb:

For me this has given me a damn good reason to go into Wales and try out the roads over there.

The roads are good. Did the Castles in the Monmouth / Brecon area for 2016. The Honey Cafe in Bronlly is worth a visit.

I think that with some of the tags being not so easy to photo the bike with, my suggestion is that for tags that are hard to get the bike to, be constructive, such as include your helmet in the photo or take a selfie in your gear. Just remember to include the number.

• 1 month later...

I think that with some of the tags being not so easy to photo the bike with, my suggestion is that for tags that are hard to get the bike to, be constructive, such as include your helmet in the photo or take a selfie in your gear. Just remember to include the number.

Just looking at GOG's latest pic's, there is no evidence of bike or bike gear in them. I am not doubting that he rode there but if this type of photo is acceptable then it does open up the challenge to the more unscrupulous.

I think that people are missing the point of the challenge 100.......it's to encourage folks to get out on their bikes and maybe explore areas that they've not been before......If people want to cheat, then the only people they are cheating are themselves...... :shock: It's not like there's a huge prize on offer for completing it......although I have heard Curly Wurleys mentioned....... :wink:

Just looking at GOG's latest pic's, there is no evidence of bike or bike gear in them. I am not doubting that he rode there but if this type of photo is acceptable then it does open up the challenge to the more unscrupulous.

Could not park the bike in a position close enough to get the full picture - Too bl@@dy cold & wet to take off helmet to place in the shot. No-one around to take the picture with me in it. No adjacent wall / sign / mound on which to place the camera on the timer and I FORGOT THE TRIPOD!!!!! :( Usually I can get something (apart from my tag number) in the piccy but not on that occasion and - why do some folk cheat (I have no evidence that they do)? I have no idea. :scratch:

Anyhoo, all my today's tags have the bike in the piccy :cheers:

• 2 months later...

There is no sign of the "Lost Distillery Company" at Dumfries House, the tag on the A70 near Cumnock. Suggest changing the tag to Dumfries House as there are plenty of signs for that.

• 5 weeks later...

Sycamore Harley Davidson had a stand at the Rugby Bike Fest today - thought about a cheeky pic with my Number but didn’t seem in the spirit of the game.

• 3 weeks later...

hey GOG, mods

hope you guys are well :)

a quick one - just been to the railway tavern in Mellis and it has a bit changed - no signs that it is called "Railway", just a train (as on the pic). Wonder what you think about it?

IMG_20180610_170034.thumb.jpg.d95a98ba16122bcde502e4aa779306d5.jpg

It's behind that big bush/tree on the right of the picture.

Maybe it has changed hands - the sign on the building used to say 'The Railway Tavern' but is easily distinguishable by the rail crossing and the other building next to it.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Travelling from Cov to Newquay yesterday I got 7 South West tags traveling 350 miles, the longest I’ve ridden in a single day.

However I did get lost quite a lot, adding about an hour to my journey time. I discovered that it was best to use hand written notes until close then use the phone for the last 1/2 mile.

The worst / funniest moments were turning round having stopped and paddling the bike backwards into a bit of undergrowth ( the mighty Speedtriple has a rubbish turning circle ) only to drop the back wheel halfway down a ditch, having to dismount and push / drive it out with the rear wheel spinning - this took quite a bit of strength and clutch/throttle control ( and I did it TWICE in different places )thank god for the off road enduro try out days I’ve done.

What I want to know is why this essential skill doesn’t make up part of the new test regime?? 😛

• 5 months later...

And volunteer to do the scoring.

I just do not get out as much as hoped and now want to fill in the gaps and go to places that the challenge has not been, or places I previously missed and want to go to.

OK - Who is going to volunteer to run this competition next year (2019)?????

:popcorn:

You don't want to do it anymore?

Ok if this posts gets more than 5 likes so I know there's interest I'll do the locations and scoring

OK - Who is going to volunteer to run this competition next year (2019)?????

:popcorn:

You don't want to do it anymore?

Ok if this posts gets more than 5 likes so I know there's interest I'll do the locations and scoring

Going by previous years, around half of those who register will go out and do some tags and around 10 people will rack up some pretty impressive scores. Then an old person, with plenty of time on their hands will get the most tags :up: