Metal oxidation help

Hi all!

This is my first post here, pleased to meet you all.

I'm after a bit of advice. I'm a bit of an amateur mechanic and have come into an old Yamaha XJ650 that has spent some years out in the weather here in Wellington, New Zealand.

As a result, the engine and rear drum brake housing are pretty extensively oxidised. I understand this will never be returned to it's former glory, but I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this before and how you went about remedying the problem to make it a tad more sightly?

Seems there are mixed opinions around on the best way to handle this, so looking for some first hand advice. Many thanks!

You can see some photos here (WARNING: The bike is in a bad way!) https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ywWpV09euhON0ejCAdY6H88JzHhWKHcU

Scotchpads , lots of hard work and high temperature paint . See my before and after pics from my ER5 Engine Swap thread . See also the BMW restoration thread by Wollyjumperuk right here below your post . Welcome to the forum.

wp_ss_20181205_0002.thumb.png.881e96dc554998a016061d75d3bdc5a3.png

Before

wp_ss_20181205_0004.thumb.png.3793387eebc47db926f61f8ce449e9c2.png

After

wp_ss_20181211_0006.thumb.png.dc16596d58c40b340c9dda0c81641862.png

Edited by fastbob

Another approach on things like fork legs or foot peg hangers is to achieve a brushed alloy effect, again by using Scotchpads but working in one direction . Once done , fully degrease with brake cleaner then spray clear lacquer for a lasting finish.

Woah, Fastbob, those results speak for themselves. Seems like there won't be any shortcuts here. Will just need to spend the time and effort.

Thanks heaps for your advice thus far.

Has anyone tried this product? http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

Yes we all use ACF-50 to keep the corrosion at bay.

Woah, Fastbob, those results speak for themselves. Seems like there won't be any shortcuts here. Will just need to spend the time and effort.

Thanks heaps for your advice thus far.

Has anyone tried this product? http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

Happy to help . The trick here is to achieve the best finish possible before painting. It has to be so good that it's almost a shame to paint it. Scotchpads work well when used with water and detergent.

wp_ss_20181209_0002.thumb.png.7a1087621b970f78716bdf942986bebf.png