Oh bugger

Liveware Problem

Got my bike out ready to go to work, left it on the side stand whilst I turned back to close and lock the gate and heard a loud crunch..

20181213_074125.thumb.jpg.9d1425e01ac97ef09111b7909d9a4d32.jpg

Oh it won't be too bad, I thought (hoped), maybe just a few cracks and scratches on the fairing..

20181213_074428.thumb.jpg.b230d59ba9fcb9b61b73798fb89a019d.jpg

20181213_074434.thumb.jpg.fd7c01dbbae8e016878ddc79fd87e792.jpg

20181213_074445.thumb.jpg.52e348ecc920c0d98ce9d4f27b53ba7c.jpg

20181213_074505.thumb.jpg.e75f87e39344a9af130dea880709b46c.jpg

20181213_074509.thumb.jpg.a4ae976ae6fa0dffb816b13aa2a8ab4a.jpg

20181213_074630.thumb.jpg.a8696ae7839b9213f44933dd6c0b1133.jpg

So basically the fairing sheared off almost all the fixings, and is broken all the way through either side of the headlight, and the part either side of the clocks has broken, as well as the metal support holding the dash/clocks to the yoke shearing off (last pic)

It's completely unrideable. I haven't looked yet but I have a nasty feeling it will cost a small fortune to repair that sort of damage :(

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Not good! :crybaby:

Surprised at metal bracket going, tbh fairing can be so flimsy it breaks from just being removed so don't expect that to look good but would expect the metal supports to survive :(

as its on its right side i doubtbsidestand as its down in picture .

either just over balance point on kerb camber or quite windy combined with balance point

Yep. It's my fault. I park it facing out so I can lock the back wheel to my scooter's back wheel, but that means when I get it out I have to manoeuvre it to the left, which means it's leaning against the camber of the pavement.

I usually check to see if it moves when I get off but I didn't this morning and it must have slipped slightly and then overbalanced.

[mention]raesewell[/mention] yes I'm thinking that's likely :/

I wouldn't claim on the insurance, you'll be paying for it for years to come. Even if your ncb is protected you'll have to declare a claim in the last 5 years and the policy cost will increase.

It's fixable!

Remove sheared studs (may need a small extractor if not enough showing to get a grip on).

Complete set of replacement fixings <£50

Fairing can be repaired - Glued with a decent fibre-based resin, filled, sanded and re-painted <£200

Bike is worth at least £450 :tumble:

Go for it!

'Winter Project' :cheers:

It's fixable!

Remove sheared studs (may need a small extractor if not enough showing to get a grip on).

Complete set of replacement fixings <£50

Fairing can be repaired - Glued with a decent fibre-based resin, filled, sanded and re-painted <£200

Bike is worth at least £450 :tumble:

Go for it!

'Winter Project' :cheers:

Thanks GoG, I do appreciate you advice :)

Unfortunately I described it badly, the studs are fine it's the connecting plastic that's broken, no way to repair those small pieces properly.

Also the last photo shows where the metal support for the clocks has shorn, I don't think I could glue that! The entire front of the bike is almost free-floating right now.

Coupled with the fact I have no idea how to do any of the things you described, and have nowhere to work on the bike!

I'm taking it to the local motorbike shop to see what their mechanics make of it.

Edited by Liveware Problem

That's a horrible thing to happen, all the worse for being such a simple accident. I have in the past mended small plastic brackets using finger bandage and epoxy resin. It's a trick I learnt making components for model aircraft. It's usually better to actually make a whole new bracket than repair the broken one. The thing is to spread the pressure area where it connects to the main body of the fairing.

Ouch indeed, sorry to hear about your unfortunate event . My first reaction was to see what body work was on eBay . There is some but its all blue . I guess you could still get some and get it sprayed to match . If you repair the existing panels they will still have to be painted so this route might be cheaper and less hassle.

Oh noooooooo

That is so miserable :-(

Sorry, clean out of helpful advice. But you clearly need a hug

I learned this here: 030518bucks-carl-sketch-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

So here's a selection. All you have to do is pick the hug you're most comfortable with. And you don't have to tell us which - it's your secret. :thumb:

giphy.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUg0aV5MifuV5TRUnj4ojokMn1EmcgPeHohnYV-JbKrxSidHRA

SELVOBWTYQI6PFN7356BSJYIPE.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=7454002

hugs8.jpg

Crap,been there done that.Dropped the FZR on the floor, thought the stand was down :oops:

Araldite rapid is good for fixing some types of plastic.

The bodywork on the RGV needed some repairs on the mounting lugs and 4 years later are still good

I take it clips are hidden when affixed, I'd plastic weld them, that's what I did for ER5 and stronger than original.

Use some thick single strand copper wire (or even a staple) and fold so you have an S shape and melt into the plastic across the crack. You can get plastic filler rods on eBay or use cable ties. Most common mistake is people overheat the plastic making it brittle, you want lowest temp plastic melts at (normally 210°c is good).

Plenty of example videos on YouTube.