Reducing handle bar width?

Pbassred

My CBR125R has a handlebar width of 700mm. I keep it in a shed behind a doorway that is 730mm wide. I cant change it and its quite deep so wiggling is difficult. However I have 30mm of clearance so its all good.

My next bike will be a CBR500R which has a handlebar width of 750mm. How can I loose 20mm?

Decreasing the width of the handle bars is easy , just replace the rather large bar-end weights with shorter ones . But as , previously mentioned , that might not be the issue because you have still got to get the mirrors , indicators AND that whacking great exhaust silencer through the gap . Scrape scrape crunch crunch . Move house .

My CBR125R has a handlebar width of 700mm. I keep it in a shed behind a doorway that is 730mm wide. I cant change it and its quite deep so wiggling is difficult. However I have 30mm of clearance so its all good.

My next bike will be a CBR500R which has a handlebar width of 750mm. How can I loose 20mm?

How do you know for sure that 750mm is measured at the handle bars ? I can't find any evidence for this even from Honda.

Go to a dealership and measure it yourself.

Specs say bike width is 740mm and and this is usually the overal width including mirrors. I found one face on image and in that the mirrors definitely looked a little wider than the bars.

How do you know for sure that 750mm is measured at the handle bars ? I can't find any evidence for this even from Honda.
My 125's widest point is the handlebars, so I figure the the 500 would have similar proportions.

buy a narrower bike
Cool! What motorcycle in that class is narrower than a CBR500R?

widen the doorway of shed

knock the shed down and build a proper storage facility

When I said shed I was being architecturally simplistic. Its a brick opening with a hardwood doorway. Neither the brick of the frame are negotiable.

buy a narrower handle bar set up
COOL! :cheers: That's what I thought. How do I do that? I might be able to find 30-40mm by changing to really short bar ends.

My 125's widest point is the handlebars, so I figure the the 500 would have similar proportions.

buy a narrower bike
Cool! What motorcycle in that class is narrower than a CBR500R?

widen the doorway of shed

knock the shed down and build a proper storage facility

When I said shed I was being architecturally simplistic. Its a brick opening with a hardwood doorway. Neither the brick of the frame are negotiable.

buy a narrower handle bar set up
COOL! :cheers: That's what I thought. How do I do that? I might be able to find 30-40mm by changing to really short bar ends.

Here we go , settled, the widest part is the mirrors followed closely by the bars and the exhaust.

701723504_Honda20CBR500201320204(2).jpg.c539db52019366bd8531d5bea4ba2aa2.jpg

So if you lose the bar-ends and ditch the can all that leaves is the mirrors. Something off another bike might fit but you will get a good view of your elbows . Here's the easy bit 😁

1392132299_Honda20CBR500201320204(4).jpg.7ab3a9936149f276a68960538c0ad02c.jpg

wp_ss_20181215_0001.thumb.png.d2c02767debd220641625400d783a4c4.png

Here we go , settled, the widest part is the mirrors followed closely by the bars and the exhaust.
Thank you. Well the exhaust is only one side and the mirrors fold up so........ handlebars :D

Thank you. Well the exhaust is only one side and the mirrors fold up so........ handlebars :D

We'll not necessarily, if the measurement of the widest point is the mirrors then perhaps you would just about get the bars through the gap . You could sacrifice the bar ends by just allowing them to scrape the wall and you could fit some posh ones for special occasions.

If you turn the handlebars and lean the bike a little just as you go through the door frame you will probably get away with a few more inches.... Imagine taking a Pushbike through a gap?

Actually I have exactly this problem getting my bike through the side gate. I have to manoeuvre it, turning the handlebars and leaning the bike first one way and then the other as I work it through. It becomes easy with a bit of practice, though, and I reckon you’ll be fine.

Don't swap you bike for a BMW or a Triumph Rocket - You'll never get any of those in!

Anyhoo - swap can for a 'fishtail' - Throw mirrors (not required) - Fit clip-ons (you will have to ditch the fairings).

:cheers:

Because everyone knows that BMWs are eight feet wide etc etc A CBX would probably be a bit of a squeeze too.