What a day

Via

First off not a moan at NHS as they are doing tough job and most of the people I've met over last 7 months have all been brilliant. But the state of the system is absolutely disgusting now.

Woke up this morning feeling really achey and sick, just getting over a cold so didn't think much of it. Couple of hours later I'm curled up in agony as if I'd just been punched in kidney, absolutely sweating and boiling hot (ended up putting t-shirt and shorts on in this weather!)

Anyway being a bloke ignored it and it eased a bit, my brother was due round and don't get to see him much lately, so he was here a few hours most the time I had to stand up, every time I sat down would feel constant pressure on kidney. We went and got some cranberry juice and he went so had few glasses of that and laid down again. Within an hour I'm in agony again...

So Google number of our out of hours doctor and find can't just call them anymore you have to call 111, so called them and get a call back a bit later and after telling them what's happening get told to goto A&E... Think that was extreme as despite it hurting like crazy I just want to see a doctor but off I go to A&E.

When I walked in was gobsmacked, waiting room practically empty. Was called to see triage within 15 mins which was great and then told I need to see doctor so was taken round to out of hours service, it was like a 3rd world. There were people everywhere, waiting room was jam packed, chairs along corridor full with people as well as people standing everywhere :shock:.

Thought my way to reception and booked in to get told 6 hour wait! Managed to find a single seat in corner that no-one had nabbed so sat down. After about half hour (just gone 6pm) woman opposite who has been there since 11am goes to check how much longer and told there is 6 people ahead of her still! At this point I've got option of sitting in an uncomfortable chair in pain for 6 hours or go home lay in bed in pain and call doctor in the morning... So I'm now laying down watching end of the snooker.

Will finish off my cranberry juice (disgusting but if it helps I don't care) and have a sleep, chances are excluding sleeping time I'll be waiting less to see my normal doctor :lol:

I’m wondering how you know it’s kidneys?

If you’re certain you can make it through to tomorrow morning then dandy otherwise back to A&E and demand to be treated there. It is classed as an emergency and 6+ hours is not emergency treatment. If necessary tell them you have passed out. If they try to move you to GP out of hours say you want to complain. Kidney infections can be very serious and the poor blighters have to last you a lifetime.

I would (note I’m not advising you just saying what I’d do- she says covering her arse) put a spoonful of bicarbonate of soda in a small glass of water and drink it quickly (becasue it tastes disgusting) and have one no more than every 3 hours. If it gives you relief don’t be tempted to have another and another (it is very tempting) as it can cause damage. Some people say a teaspoon (5ml spoon) the British assoc of urological surgeons says a tablespoon (15ml spoon), personally I wouldn’t take a tablespoon without medical supervision. I’ve only seen a teaspoon used.

Hope you get sorted soon

Having spent the past week in and out of hospitals

as

A.my mother was rushed into hospital back in Wales ( 210 miles away from me ) with blood infection and kidney problems ( on top of her a-z list of ailments) last Sunday .

B. on Wednesday my wife was taken by ambulance to JR hospital in oxford after collapsing and kept in until today with suspect pancreatitis and also after presenting the lowest potassium level the surgeon has ever seen on a conscious patient ( 2.0 ).

So the system and the staff do what they can and i can't fault them .

I’m wondering how you know it’s kidneys?

If you’re certain you can make it through to tomorrow morning then dandy otherwise back to A&E and demand to be treated there. It is classed as an emergency and 6+ hours is not emergency treatment. If necessary tell them you have passed out. If they try to move you to GP out of hours say you want to complain. Kidney infections can be very serious and the poor blighters have to last you a lifetime.

I would (note I’m not advising you just saying what I’d do- she says covering her arse) put a spoonful of bicarbonate of soda in a small glass of water and drink it quickly (becasue it tastes disgusting) and have one no more than every 3 hours. If it gives you relief don’t be tempted to have another and another (it is very tempting) as it can cause damage. Some people say a teaspoon (5ml spoon) the British assoc of urological surgeons says a tablespoon (15ml spoon), personally I wouldn’t take a tablespoon without medical supervision. I’ve only seen a teaspoon used.

Hope you get sorted soon

Just from location and symptoms (plus have been kidney punched before so know how they hurt :lol:) may be totally wrong though.

No bicarbonate of soda to try but cranberry juice does seem to be easing it now. Have not taken any meds today other than first thing this morning ones just in case as well.

[mention]TimR[/mention] couldn't agree more in regards to staff they are great and certainly got my NI contributions out of them but certainly see waiting times much higher than ever before and with out of hours there used to be 3 places here where you'd call up and after triage be given an appointment at whatever is least busy surgery (or closest if quiet) and normally be seen within minutes with a couple of doctors working in each, in the time I waited there I only see one doctor come out calling people, maybe a fluke busy day but I'm more inclined to believe the strain and lack of finding to NHS it is a normal night there.

You have my sympathies. Had a kidney infection some years ago. Bloody horrible few days of pain and fever.

My biggest concern is I head to Wales for a week next Saturday, got a cold last week and was glad I could get that out the way before then and now this :roll: just hoping I can get rid of it before then, especially as drive to shops was bad enough my seats really dug it so don't fancy that for 4-5 hours :lol:

You have my sympathies. Had a kidney infection some years ago. Bloody horrible few days of pain and fever.

My biggest concern is I head to Wales for a week next Saturday, got a cold last week and was glad I could get that out the way before then and now this :roll: just hoping I can get rid of it before then, especially as drive to shops was bad enough my seats really dug it so don't fancy that for 4-5 hours :lol:

Mine was over after about 4 days. Remember going into work and having to head off to walk in clinic. Nurse there was great and gave me antibiotics and sent me to go to a and e. 40 minute tube journey and 30 minute bus ride to get to hospital near home. everytime the tube shook or bumped was very painful. Wouldn't have dealt well with 5 hours in a car.

Mine was over after about 4 days. Remember going into work and having to head off to walk in clinic. Nurse there was great and gave me antibiotics and sent me to go to a and e. 40 minute tube journey and 30 minute bus ride to get to hospital near home. everytime the tube shook or bumped was very painful. Wouldn't have dealt well with 5 hours in a car.

That gives me hope then :thumb:

Can imagine that weren't to fun, public transport certainly don't do comfort :lol:

Yeah nothing will be good about journey if it don't clear by then, low car with sport seats and stiff suspension :(

Just a follow up, was at doctors yesterday and there was traces of blood showing in sample given, they've said either infection or kidney stone.

They've given me antibiotics to take while I wait for an ultrasound.

I was thinking infection but didn't think of it being a stone :shock: really hope it's not that!

Pain has eased since Sunday though, just a dull ache now but does give the odd prod to remind me :lol:.

Kidneys toast eh?

If you feel you are about to meet your maker, can you let me know along with your address and general condition of your liver :thumb:

... For science...

If anything like rest of me I wouldn't even use it for cooking with a bit of bacon :thumb: