Good year roundup

geofferz

That's bad luck! this time of year is horrible for people doing their tests!

Don't give up!

He's right. However, I passed my test first time this year, clean sheet (mod 2 anyway, got a minor on mod 1), got my first big bike, did 6k miles on it and absolutely love it. To counter lots of the inevitable gripes and mishaps posted here I thought I'd start this to post some good news. Anyone care to share? New bike, good trip?

Happy Christmas all.

This year my wife passed her driving test. We moved to Birmingham and decided we needed a second vehicle so I could have one for work and Mrs Muttly still be able to visit family etc.

I wanted a bike when I was a kid and somehow never got to it. We agreed a bike would make sense so I did my CBT and bought Lexi.

I ride her every work day in all weathers (so far) and I bloomin love it. I enjoy all of my rides, I enjoy filtering and live 90 miles to the gallon.

I had some help from the forum to learn change oil and adjust chain.

Also a forum member did an observed ride for me.

Very happy chippy.

Turned to [mention]Magpie84[/mention] in February and said "I've been thinking..." and mentioned my plans to learn to ride a bike.

She said sure... as long as she could too.

So CBT done end of March (shifted around a bit due to snow) with my second hand Honda CBF125 to be picked up the following week.

Then the learning began. Oh, and we had to buy a new, bigger shed to safely store our bikes.

Still got fond memories of that humble 125. The best being taking part in a ride out for our local air ambulance, who mean a huge amount to our family for personal reasons. Decorated it with ribbons in the air ambulance colours and mixed it up with the big bikes, siting amongst all the Harleys was moderately hilarious.

Planned to ride it for maybe a year but got itchy feet as summer went on so back to the bike school for mod 1 and mod 2. I had been keeping holiday at work in hand in case of endless retakes but ended up not needing them.

Avoided even considering big bikes until I'd passed. So then the search began. Happened to come across what looked like a perfect bike the weekend after I passed. Picked it up and felt like the cat that had got the cream.

Done a few advanced sessions with my IAM observer. Learned a lot already.

Went to Motorcycle Live last month with my wife, something we wouldn't have considered a year ago.

I've enjoyed the journey so far and I've still only done it around nine months. But it feels like I've packed a lot in in that time!

After a bad start to the year, I got married, bought a dog, purchased a house with my wife (move in new year) and got a new job, leaving my old job that had an hour and a half commute.

I fly to Thailand today for my honeymoon!!

:cheers: :thumb:

Been doing a lot of work for various charities this year , also started a keep fit class for the over 60's ( ladies only ) .

I'm going to try and run for a position in my local council this year with the ambition of being a member of parliament .... so onwards and upwards for me :thumb:

Celebrated mine and my partners 40th birthday, my mum and dads 50th wedding anniversary and my dads 80th birthday. Rode a bike off road for the first time. Spent 3 months touring the US mostly on a motorbike, something I've wanted to do since being a kid. Finally sorted my self out and got a new job for the new year. Interesting year overall. Hopefully next year will bring a move out of London to a nice house, a workshop and a garage, new motorbikes, some time spent making knives again and a job I enjoy, with some sunny days on the bike, some quality cake, good rum and lots of streaky bacon.

This year my wife passed her driving test. We moved to Birmingham and decided we needed a second vehicle so I could have one for work and Mrs Muttly still be able to visit family etc.

I wanted a bike when I was a kid and somehow never got to it. We agreed a bike would make sense so I did my CBT and bought Lexi.

I ride her every work day in all weathers (so far) and I bloomin love it. I enjoy all of my rides, I enjoy filtering and live 90 miles to the gallon.

I had some help from the forum to learn change oil and adjust chain.

Also a forum member did an observed ride for me.

Very happy chippy.

Hi just the man I need to talk to. How long have you been riding for?

How long are your journeys?

How unsafe do you find winter riding?

What type of roads you riding on?

What bike do you have?

Because I am thinking of doing the as you but unsure.

I ride in urban and city roads mostly but have done big stretch A roads. So far (only wet and cold not iced or snowy) I still enjoy it. I have applied a little layering knowledge from my mountain experience to stay warm

And dry and that helps.

I have a new Lexmoto Falcon. See my review for honest comments.

I passed my CBT in June and have done 1800 miles since. I commute between 12 total miles a day and up to forty. :-)

I think it is fab. I also noted you have been a bit unsure, if you can afford the CBT get on and see if you like it.

The R1 went through the year without any major expense.

Got the RGV back on the road after a hefty engine rebuild

Got the 380 back on the road after 10 years or so.

Started the renovation of the SS after 18 years neglect.

My 3rd grandson and 1st nephew on my side of the family were born.

We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary with a week in Kefalonia at a real plush hotel.

We paid off our mortgage in September

Travelled the east coast of America from New York to Florida over a 3 week road trip, one of the best experiences of my life. Got the mrs into riding bikes and through her cbt so welcomed not one but two Honda groms to the garage so we can ride together. Traded in the CB650F about 6 weeks ago for a Tracer 900, made the perfect choice in my opinion. Finally booked next years holiday, another 3 week trip going to San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and everywhere in between before flying over to Florida again to finish it off 👌

Well most of the year was pretty pants to be honest. But I got a new job which means I'll be living just down the road from Oulton Park so 2019 is looking up. Hoping to move around March. The house has a tandem garage, twice as long but a single width wide, so I'm planning on making a bike den in there.

In April this year I had a long weekend away in the North East of Scotland with my wife. We met up with some old friends (also on a R1200RT) and had a good catch up, some pleasant miles, tasty meals and more than a few drinks. Very pleasant. :)

In May I rode down (via DFDS ferries) to Jerez for the MotoGP with my brother (on another R1200RT). We avoided most of the motorways and stayed at an interesting variety of accommodations, on the way there and on the way back. Over the weekend we stayed in Rota, which is fairly quiet at that time of year and it's handy for the circuit. Managed to complete that trip without a puncture, unlike 2017 when I had to spring for a new rear tyre at the circuit. :?

September was a bucket list job - rode to Varna in Bulgaria for a dip in the Black Sea, returning via the Transfagarasan Highway in Romania - brilliant. Passed through many countries, all extremely interesting in their different ways. Over 4000 miles round trip and it was my mate's turn to get a puncture (in Holland, while heading for the ferry back to Newcastle). That led to a broken valve which led to a breakdown truck to take the bike to a local bike shop where a new tyre and valve were fitted and we were on our way to make the ferry on time. :D

Plans are yet to take shape for 2019 .....

To counter lots of the inevitable gripes and mishaps posted here I thought I'd start this to post some good news. Anyone care to share? New bike, good trip?

Happy Christmas all.

Lovely idea! I'm currently wrestling to overcome my inner Scrooge, and frankly, I'm of a mind to kill as many brain cells on New Years' Eve as possible, that's the bundle of joy 2018 has been. But with that Eric Idle song in mind, and in the context of the forum...

The demise of two new (well, under 10 year old) cars in the space of nine months has left me with a unique opportunity to achieve a long-held ambition of getting on two wheels. My brilliant local tuition centre offers free taster sessions, and with the aid of one of those I went from 'I wonder if I could do this?' to 'I'm going to do this!'.

With the aid of a second job (who needs sleep anyway?) I've saved up a little, and just recently purchased *exactly* what I was hoping for; a cheap non-runner to get my hands dirty with, and, hopefully, get on the road by the Spring! Roll on, 2019!

Happy Solstice!

To counter lots of the inevitable gripes and mishaps posted here I thought I'd start this to post some good news. Anyone care to share? New bike, good trip?

Happy Christmas all.

Lovely idea! I'm currently wrestling to overcome my inner Scrooge, and frankly, I'm of a mind to kill as many brain cells on New Years' Eve as possible, that's the bundle of joy 2018 has been. But with that Eric Idle song in mind, and in the context of the forum...

The demise of two new (well, under 10 year old) cars in the space of nine months has left me with a unique opportunity to achieve a long-held ambition of getting on two wheels. My brilliant local tuition centre offers free taster sessions, and with the aid of one of those I went from 'I wonder if I could do this?' to 'I'm going to do this!'.

With the aid of a second job (who needs sleep anyway?) I've saved up a little, and just recently purchased *exactly* what I was hoping for; a cheap non-runner to get my hands dirty with, and, hopefully, get on the road by the Spring! Roll on, 2019!

Happy Solstice!

Good! A project bike sounds fun - I want to do the same myself next year.

Good! A project bike sounds fun - I want to do the same myself next year.

Everyone should have a project bike, lot of sweat and tears along the way but nothing compares to the first time it rolls out of garage completed and the "I did that" feeling :thumb: