Constant Target for Crime

wilsonbed

Hey guys new to this forum and need to vent and get some advice. I got a 125cc in February this year, a brand new honda CB125f. Within 1 month someone tried to steal it but was unsuccessful. Then the next month someone tried again and once more was unsuccessful. Finally in July my house was burgled with me in it they stole my keys and my bike. It was recovered a week later but beyond repair, I got it back for insurance purposes and ended up getting my full bike license (hurray). But my insurance was voided (More on that later) so I had to settle for another 125 :( so I got a grom. Now do not get me wrong the grom is serving me well. It cost me 1500 pounds, has some aftermarket stuff on it that gives it a little more zing. Well I had owned it for exactly 2 nights when someone robbed my old bike (smashing the security off it) It was found up the road in a bush when I assume the thieves realised it was trash. The VERY NEXT NIGHT I wake up to my disc lock alarm going off and run down stairs, my bike was on its right side. Now I know how physics work, it leans to the left so if the kick stand failed it would have fell left. The only explanation is the same thieves lifted my grom, set the alarm off, dropped it and ran.

Since September all has been quite, I am now living in a state of such paranoia I have 250 pound of security on my grom and invested in a 700 pound secure 6 foot fence with gates. Then yesterday (today for my still) I came out of the corner shop jumped on my grom and started down the road, all of a sudden 2 men on a moped with no helmets came flying around the T junction and tried to ram me. I swerved out of the way and pinned my throttle, diving out into incoming traffic on a T junction making all the moving traffic slam on the brakes. I looked in my wing mirror and they were following me as fast as they could so I pinned the throttle and ran a cross junction red light doing 70 mph risking life and limb to get away. This may sound bad but as far as I was concerned I was letting this happen. And in doing so would they have a weapon? All I thought was its either trust in my skill as a motorbiker or risk being stabbed and robbed by thieves. I managed to get away and hid a few miles away for an hour and called the police. They advised me to go home but I was concerned they knew where I lived and may be waiting for me. But I risked it and went home, chained my bike up to high heaven, put the water proof cover on it (also black) and sat in my house with a hatchet waiting for the police to arrive. They later arrived and once a f**king gain basically said tough shit, nothing we can do. They have partial footage of the men trying to ram me but it is not clear enough to ID.

(More on the void) when I originally got the bike I told the company I was keeping it indoors as stupid me thought I could lift the bike into the front door and keep it at the bottom of the stairs. This proved not possible instantly but as I had never had insurance before + the new found freedom of riding I simply did not think to update the insurers. They voided me for fraud, but I took it to the ombudsman who have just ruled in my favour as they agree it was clearly a silly mistake and not fraud. They also took into account that if I told them it would have only cost me 10 pound more a month which is clearly not enough money to justify fraud. I will hopefully be getting about 1800 pounds from the company.

I guess my question is 1 what do you guys do and are you targeted to this degree? 2 What should I do? I am on the verge of packing in my beloved mode of transport and getting a boring car because my 24 year old heart can barely deal with this stress anymore. Before anyone suggests inside storage I live in a second floor flat above one other flat and have no where to store it inside. I have a ground anchor, oxford chain and lock. Oxford monster disc lock for the front wheel and a xena alarmed disc lock for the back wheel. What more can a man do? Thanks for reading this and I hope someone has some ideas.

Holy shit! Where do you live! You have my sympathy, what a living nightmare..

I saw a little prefab garage on ebay the other day, specially for motorcycles with a roller shutter door. Maybe you could stretch to one at £1200. I'll look for a link...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283309481331

Edited by Fleck

Sounds like a nightmare.

Personally, if you cannot build a brick garage at your house then I would get a concrete floored shed and a couple of ground anchors installed in the floor.

Maybe something like this if you have space -

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/motorcycle-garage

https://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/wooden-storage/billyoh-28mm-premium-motorbike-store

https://www.trimetals.co.uk/product/protect-a-bike/

These would work so long as you have a bit of ground that the bike can access. (Ideally round the back of your flat) You can also get tents - however these are not as covert as a shed.

Also, big chains and ground anchors from almax and/or Pragmassis if you do not yet have them. They are much more resistant to cutting than oxford. However if the thieves are using powertools.... not much will stop them.

Alternatively.... a very big dog that lives in your garden.

Hello and welcome. Can’t help with your predicament but I’d be looking to move to somewhere that has more security if possible. If not I’d probably get a car and come back to biking later when it was possible to have a solid garage.

I agree with Mike. With regards to getting yourself armed with a knife I remember reading a statistic that victims of k for crime are more often stabbed with their own writing.

In your shoes I would want to move if I could or give up biking until I could move.

So sorry that you or anyone can be victimised in this way.

Unfortunately both bikes that you have chosen so far are absolute thief magnets especially the Grom. It would be a tragedy if these scumbags were to put you off biking for life. My suggestion is to get a ratty CG125 and paint it pink so as to make it as uncool as possible and then console yourself by knowing that one day your circumstances will change and you will move up to a bigger, better bike.

778023580_wp_ss_20181221_0004(2).png.2b668d097170f664c1cf014c7676bb22.png

Which one would you steal ?

Basically what Fastbob says. It doesn't sound like you have access to a secure garage and if the area you live and ride is as described then your only option is something the thieves don't want.

Even then I'd fix some kind of immobilizer on it as if they can't make it go they'll dump it.

I would take with me the biggest kitchen knife I could find. You live in the wild West amongst outlaws, with the Sheriff too shit scared to offend anybody. :|

Now for the post most will kick off about .

But it has to be said ..

DO NOT DO THE ABOVE !

wtf with the amount of knife crime already in this country why do you think this is acceptable .This makes you no better than the criminals your dealing with

As for being chased ..

You put yourself and others in danger by your actions over a piece of insured machinery .At what cost do you consider human life ..

If they had caught you they could only attack you if you give them the chance to .

It its a guaranteed that you have no choice LET THEM HAVE THE BIKE .Don't throw it down so its damaged and of no use to them as its you that has to stump up the cost to repair .If they take the bike ITS INSURED .

If you had caused an accident do you think the thieves would have stopped to be your witness ?

You say you used your skill as a motorbiker ... How about using your common sense as a Human being first .

with regards to bike laying over.A cover can act like a sail and in high winds the bike may topple because of it .

Maybe not what you want to hear but look at the larger picture

I agree I put people in danger, but I am not insured for theft. As stated because of the void (recently overturned) I am not yet covered for theft. Losing the bike would mean being 2000 in debt with no bike.

I would take with me the biggest kitchen knife I could find. You live in the wild West amongst outlaws, with the Sheriff too shit scared to offend anybody. :|

Now for the post most will kick off about .

But it has to be said ..

DO NOT DO THE ABOVE !

wtf with the amount of knife crime already in this country why do you think this is acceptable .This makes you no better than the criminals your dealing with

As for being chased ..

You put yourself and others in danger by your actions over a piece of insured machinery .At what cost do you consider human life ..

If they had caught you they could only attack you if you give them the chance to .

It its a guaranteed that you have no choice LET THEM HAVE THE BIKE .Don't throw it down so its damaged and of no use to them as its you that has to stump up the cost to repair .If they take the bike ITS INSURED .

If you had caused an accident do you think the thieves would have stopped to be your witness ?

You say you used your skill as a motorbiker ... How about using your common sense as a Human being first .

with regards to bike laying over.A cover can act like a sail and in high winds the bike may topple because of it .

Maybe not what you want to hear but look at the larger picture

The criminals in London will take your phone wallet watch and bike then stab you a few times to give them a head start getting away or chuck acid in your eyes so you can't identify them in a lineup.

Don't assume that being polite and handing them the bike will mean they let you go unharmed because chances are they won't.

Since the UK law is too restrictive for the law abiding citizen to carry self-defence weapons, there's nothing much you can do, legally.

That's why i have summer gloves with knuckle protectors :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You can have on your person at hand a u-lock and use it accordingly :mrgreen:

in the past people tried to burgle me, but with no avail, if they see that you're meaner than them and you actually fight back they will chicken out, even when they have weapons on them, been there aswell, not scared of them(where i grew up it was rough), that even motivates me to make sure that the weapon wielding person won't get up from the ground to hurt me :crybaby: . Intimidation it's a b*tch.

my push bike got stolen once, i've heard them running away, it was too late, fortunately for them! i would have locked them against a lamp post.

Since the UK law is too restrictive for the law abiding citizen to carry self-defence weapons, there's nothing much you can do, legally.

That's why i have summer gloves with knuckle protectors :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

in the past people tried to burgle me, but with no avail, if they see that you're meaner than them and you actually fight back they will chicken out, even when they have weapons on them, been there aswell, not scared of them(where i grew up it was rough), that even motivates me to make sure that the weapon wielding person won't get up from the ground to hurt me :crybaby: . Intimidation it's a b*tch.

my push bike got stolen once, i've heard them running away, it was too late, fortunately for them! i would have locked them against a lamp post.

I bought a crossbow after the 5th attempt. I told the police that us people are like sheep, the wolves do as they wish with us as we can't legally defend our selves. The shepherds (Police) seem to have abandoned the flock because they don't do shit to protect us. I have a disability called POTS, can't walk very far so rely on my cheap bike to get me around. I don't look for sympathy only solutions to problems, Im starting to think that the only solution to this problem is overwhelming firepower. Sadly a lot of people don't agree but I say that as soon as a criminal engages with you with intent to harm and steal they forfeit their rights as a human.

Think I have been in most situations, had a knife pulled on me, almost smacked over the head with a crowbar, chased crims on foot, in a car, and also had to shout like a little girl to attract attention when I thought I was about to become a stat, retaliation is all well and good but you only die once, try to put it off as long as possible.

That said I would probably still get involved, I don't appear to have learnt anything.

Edited by Bender

I bought a crossbow after the 5th attempt. I told the police that us people are like sheep, the wolves do as they wish with us as we can't legally defend our selves. The shepherds (Police) seem to have abandoned the flock because they don't do shit to protect us. I have a disability called POTS, can't walk very far so rely on my cheap bike to get me around. I don't look for sympathy only solutions to problems, Im starting to think that the only solution to this problem is overwhelming firepower. Sadly a lot of people don't agree but I say that as soon as a criminal engages with you with intent to harm and steal they forfeit their rights as a human.

Crossbow bolt tend to be hollow. Fill them with explosives for added bonus. Walk upto the scrote laying on the floor with a crossbow bolt poking out of him, just pull a lighter from your pocket, light the fuse and move back out the way to avoid being splattered with raw meat.

To be fair, if you did hurt one of them I doubt they’d go to the police, they probably would come back with more people and hurt you, or even worse.

If it was me, like Bender said I’d probably still get involved even though I should know better, I’d just not want to let some little bast*rd steal my bike either.

This is an area where I think the US has the right idea, someone comes on your property to steal, you can shoot them dead.

I like the crossbow idea. It you're in an upstairs window I don't think they would come back no matter how many mates they've got. :thumb:

A pellet rifle would put the shits up them too.

Even if you just threaten someone with a firearm the police take it very very seriously, don't ask me how I know :oops:

Yes you'd have to quickly put them away & deny all kowledge if the police turn up, but what's the odds of that :cry: