Gigs

MarkW

Worst: Gary Moore After the War tour at Wembley Arena.......There was a really loud buzzing coming from Gary's guitar......He played 2 songs, said "f*ck this" and stormed off stage......and that was the end of the gig. I vowed that I'd never go to another of his gigs........but I relented a few years later and went to his Back to the Blues tour at Hammersmith odeon. .....which turned out to be a really good gig..... 8-)

'Nursery Cryme' was one of the first albums I owned as a kid, which I got when I started high school. Having spent almost 11 years listening to my mother's music (Boney M, Leo Sayer, the Everly Brothers etc) it was a revelation! I completely lost interest in them after Peter Gabriel left though.

I'll bet Motörhead were memorable: I only have two rock'n'roll claims to fame: one is that I know Jerry Scheff (bass player for Elvis, The Doors, John Denver, Bob Dylan etc) and the other is that I went to the same school as Lemmy. :D

My first Genesis album was Genesis Live.....played it to death..... 8-) Got all the early albums up to Wind and Wuthering.

Saw Motorhead at the Cambridge Corn Exchange 3 or 4 times over the years......The last time wasn't so loud....my ears were only ringing for 2 days afterwards. .... :wink:

I’ve never been to a live gig. Never been my thing.

I have however bought me and the Mrs tickets to see Bon Jovi at Wembley next year. (Millions of Brownie points scored) She is a massive fan and has seen them 7 times. I like most of their popular songs and have now been tasked to learn the words to the rest of their stuff :lol:

I nearly got a black eye when I looked at the tickets and stated “Nice one! The Manic Street Preachers are supporting”

Apparently I sounded more enthusiastic about seeing them....

Edited by fullscreenaging

I saw James Brown and the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Hyde Park in 2004, thought James Brown was a bit of an odd warm up act choice for them but am so glad I got to see him live, although in the twilight of his career, RHCP were good that night too :thumb: .

Black Keys were good live too.

Best gig was Radiohead at Madison Square Garden, not only did I get to go to NYC anyway but they were amazing.

Reading this thread is one of those rare occasions that I wish I was older, some of you have seen some amazing artists that sadly it’s not possible to see today :cry: .

Would love to have seen Led Zep, Cream, Hendrix and many others back in the day!.

I saw James Brown and the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Hyde Park in 2004, thought James Brown was a bit of an odd warm up act choice for them but am so glad I got to see him live, although in the twilight of his career, RHCP were good that night too :thumb: .

Best gig was Radiohead at Madison Square Garden, not only did I get to go to NYC anyway but they were amazing.

Reading this thread is one of those rare occasions that I wish I was older, some of you have seen some amazing artists that sadly it’s not possible to see today :cry: .

Would love to have seen Led Zep, Cream, Hendrix and many others back in the day!.

I suppose that is where tribute bands come in. The first one I saw was The Australian Doors in a pub in Edinburgh in the early 1990s. I thought the sound and how they dressed up was amazing. I have seen a few since then, some who also dressed up, like ABBA Arrival who played at this years Christmas Night Out my wife and I went to with friends. Others did not, but were still good to listen to, such as Mac Floyd and Pearl Vs Jam. The effort and musicianship the tributes do, I think makes them worthwhile seeing.

I suppose that is where tribute bands come in. The first one I saw was The Australian Doors in a pub in Edinburgh in the early 1990s. I thought the sound and how they dressed up was amazing. I have seen a few since then, some who also dressed up, like ABBA Arrival who played at this years Christmas Night Out my wife and I went to with friends. Others did not, but were still good to listen to, such as Mac Floyd and Pearl Vs Jam. The effort and musicianship the tributes do, I think makes them worthwhile seeing.

Some of the tribute acts look really good and they put a lot of effort and dedication in :thumb: .

The Doors are another band I’d loved to have seen live!, oh and Joy Division, although I have seen New Order so I suppose I got to see most of them!.

Actually, just thinking about bands with drummers wot I knows, here are three:

I went to school with Laurie Jenkins and played in an orchestra or two with him back in the 1980s. He was Heather Nova's drummer on the early stuff, including this track - London Rain:

">

My oldest school friend was Paul Murfin (sadly no longer with us and very much missed) who lays down some tasty stuff on Captain Yange's Calm Oceans:

">

And just for [mention]Six30[/mention], as well as having played for Chantel McGregor, me old mucker Andy Mapp also plays for Sam Fox:

">

:thumb:

What’s being able to sing got to do with it? The majority of bands seem to be fronted by singers who can’t sing and not in an appealing way either just in a god awful please stop singing type of way.

Sam Fox was only 16years old when her parents put her forward to topless model for the Sun newspaper. I don’t know any 16 year old children that could cope with that, then her dad/manager embezzled her money which she had to sue her own father to try and recoupe, no wonder she went off men.

More importantly how did she get Tina Turners choreographer to teach her those moves :scratch:

• 1 month later...

Not as rock and roll as you guys.

Gary Newman

Police

Fleetwood Mac

Queen

Status Quo

ACDC

Robbie Williams

Madness

Midge Ure

Rick Astley

:thumb:

once saw madness at preston guild hall with a mate and thought they were brilliant, the band had everyone dancing in the aisles

Best

Rollingstones

Genesis

Backcountry Communion

Fleetwood Mac

Bon Jovie

Early Rod Stewart

Quo

ZZ Top

Whitesnake

Black Stone Cherry

Beth Hart

Disappointed

Gary Moore very short set with no communication with the audience

Strangest

Ricky Warwick and Damon Johnson of Black Star Riders they came and did an acoustic set at our local club a brilliant night. They played at Download the following weekend great guy's

Massive Tick box in a couple of weeks time

Off to Denver to see Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet Band

New oddest gig ever, Massive Attack.

No support, cheesy pop played for an hour instead. No communication from the band at all, not even a wave at the end. They played all the tracks off the Mezzanine album, interspersed with an odd selection of covers from others such as Bob Seger and Ultravox. At times we could hear music and vocals, but there did not appear to be anyone on the stage at all.

Too many to list but definitely the most memorable and strangest was the libertines in the dublin castle that we just so happened to stumble into.

Making a conscious effort to go to as many as possible so not to regret not seeing one. After not going to see Prince with my mates in london when he did his pop up nights.

This was an odd line up . Meatloaf, 10cc ( half of them ) , Aswad , Chuck Berry, Renaissance, Billy Bragg, plus stand up comics and various other acts best forgotten. It was a one day festival just outside St Ives on a Bank Holiday in the early 80s and the place was only half full .Chuck Berry was great and there was a great laser show projected onto the clouds . Strange. 1983 , just found this . Wow ! Apparently only 5000 people attended out of a projected 30000 ! http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/penwith-83.html

penwith-83-300.gif.6f6cb949c86530fef159fc7ac7a5b0c6.gif

Edited by fastbob

• 2 weeks later...