First fall!

elizabethf

To make you feel better...........

1st attempt at Mod1-Approaching junction on a hill,with an adverse camber,felt the bike wanting to fall coming to a stop. Quickly got my leg out and ping,hamstring popped! Bike and I parted company,and I'm out of action for 6 weeks! Had to be 'rescued' by my instructor.

Oh,and the examiner said 'that's a shame,we were about to head back to the test centre,you had a clean sheet so far!'

Oh, I definitely grabbed some brake! I shouldve left the bike to right itself when i felt it moving but brain decided it knew better, panicked, grabbed, down i go! As I say, slow enough no injury to me or the bike as it was like slow motion falling now i sit and think about it all.

Lesson here: dont panic, ever!

Oh, I definitely grabbed some brake! I shouldve left the bike to right itself when i felt it moving but brain decided it knew better, panicked, grabbed, down i go! As I say, slow enough no injury to me or the bike as it was like slow motion falling now i sit and think about it all.

My second ever off was from grabbing a handful of front brake on a greasy road.....and, much like you, I bailed and pretty much watched my bike hit the back of the car in front from the footpath.....it's easy done, so don't beat yourself up over it..... :wink:

In honesty, it hasnt really scarred me to not get back on or anything. I will probably need to go up and down that road a few times before the next test so i dont make it a problem in my own head but i think because I bailed pretty well and the bike is ok it's just business as usual.

The stubborn part of me wants to just rebook, i hate the idea of waiting *too long* :lol: :lol:

Uhuh, best to learn your lessons at low speeds :cheers:

So sorry to read this. Actually i think that off road/ trail riding aught to be part of the training to build up familiarity with the feel of a loose back end. The trouble with the tyres on a sports bike is that they grip really well until they don't. Trial bike have really knobbly tyres that grip, loose it and then grip again. I remember riding in the 80s and never felt concerned.

On a positive note, I went out on Sunday for my last lesson before the test. I made such a hash of one roundabout (planning) that I grabbed a hand full of front brake and locked the front. Somehow I stayed up. Then my instructor didn't think I was quick enough then I was over doing the lifesavers. An absolute mare. I had a word with myself and put in another 40 miles on the 125.

Thursday: MOD2, clean sheet and I was convinced that I had failed. I guess the lesson is that you really can't judge yourself and you can't drive for the examiner. You just have to ride the bike for you. Say to your instructor "what do I need to work on to pass this test" and then do some work on the CBR until you get it down pat. Plan early, junction and corner slower than you would on a CBR, show power by grapping a handful OUT of corners.

The next test is a completely fresh page. Best of luck.

The trouble with the tyres on a sports bike is that they grip really well until they don't.

That was certainly part of the problem other than poor handling of the issue.

The bike did feel a little less 'grippy' than normal anyway, so was easing off a little more than i would normally (but not enough to be considered 'failing to progress'). After the incident the examiner apparently commented (i was leaving at that point so didnt hear this) that the tread looked a bit worn on the tyres! :shock:

when I had to take mod 1&2 due to a balls up by DVLA I hired a bike from the cbt school to take the test as I could not use my 250.

In the car park of the test centre for mod 1 the examiner took one look at the bike and said "you cannot use this bike" when I asked why it turned out it was not taxed.

left bike there, called school and told them they would have to collect it then had to arrange a lift home.

Second attempt bike was FOC due to first time, and this time it was a wet day. Started well on test until it came to the swerve test. the bike was a Suzuki 125 with all the power of a 3 legged horse so had to rag it out of the corner to reach the required speed and cocked it up completely through the cones. went round again to do the emergency stop, though it was pointless as I had already failed on the swerve, but thought what the heck, lets just get it over with. went through the speed trap at 35mph, hit the brakes and pulled in the clutch at the same time! result, I locked the rear wheel and down I went. I put my right hand out to break my fall, and hurt my shoulder. I rode the bike home with a very sore shoulder, but just wanted to be done with the bike.

That night I was in a lot of pain and discomfort so went to A&E for check-up. They diagnosed a pulled muscle and put me on physio. After 6 weeks of this there was no improvement and I started getting really bad pins & needles, so went to docs for examination. I got booked in for a MRI scan with a injection of some kind of radioactive solution to show up the joint as it is covered with a tough membrane that need seeing through. Turns out I had torn most of the muscle off the shoulder so got booked in for surgery. I had keyhole surgery to insert rawlplugs into the bone in 5 places and the muscle was then attached to the rawlplugs with stitches. None of this put me off riding, as soon as I was fit enough I bought a 1988 Honda cb125 twin, that has 16BHP and took the mod 1&2 on that, and this time I passed both.

The pulling in the clutch was a rookie mistake, which I put down to the frustration of ballsing up the swerve test

Actually i think that off road/ trail riding aught to be part of the training to build up familiarity with the feel of a loose back end.

I think this should be part of riding /learning..

As when I 1st started driving. There used to be a massive car park just outside town where i lived it must been half mile sq with one part road the other half gravel

Every one who had a car even motorbikes used to meet there and hang out and basicly have fun but the things we used to.. was handbrake turns .. skids . Drifting .. now the times I got in to skids and got out them by knowing How to because i done them on this carpark has saved me many times .. I think it need to be part of the driving test ... is it for bus drivers you go on a skid pan and have to chuck a dubledeclecker bus left and right skids ..