My IAM experience

I haven't got much to put here yet but I thought I'd something down as I go through the process of hopefully passing the IAM test.

Some background on me - did CBT then DAS in summer 2017 having never ridden a motorbike before. I've subsequently covered just under 10k miles since passing the test. I passed MOD 1 with no minors 1st attempt, MOD 2 passed on the second attempt with 2 minors.

IAM had an offer on at motorcycle live for the £99 rather than the usual £149, I'd planned on signing up in the spring but for £50 I couldn't resist and signed up at the show.

At present, I'm just waiting for my local group to make contact so I'll update this as things progress.

I haven't got much to put here yet but I thought I'd something down as I go through the process of hopefully passing the IAM test.

Some background on me - did CBT then DAS in summer 2017 having never ridden a motorbike before. I've subsequently covered just under 10k miles since passing the test. I passed MOD 1 with no minors 1st attempt, MOD 2 passed on the second attempt with 2 minors.

IAM had an offer on at motorcycle live for the £99 rather than the usual £149, I'd planned on signing up in the spring but for £50 I couldn't resist and signed up at the show.

At present, I'm just waiting for my local group to make contact so I'll update this as things progress.

Let us know how it goes. I nearly signed up there n then too but have so much to work on that I’m aware of already didn’t want to waste the opportunity being told things I already know.

Did you enjoy ML?

• 1 month later...

I went to the first meeting a few weeks ago but it didn't quite go to plan. It appears that the recruitment of new members at motorcycle live was a massive success. There were 17 new faces at the meeting which is more than the total there is normally. Due to this, the club was a bit overwhelmed and couldn't offer the normal one to one training that they normally do.

Following a bit of a chat with the chair and other members I decided to hold off until after march to start my training. This should give them a bit of time to recover from the sudden influx of newbies and I'm going to be silly busy with work up until the end of the financial year so my free time to ride will be minimal.

Having your driving and riding evaluated by an experienced police instructor is very useful and helps to remove bad habits. Whether you choose to ignore the advice is entirely up to you. But there are people here who seem to think that being able to stop in the distance they can see to be clear is not a requirement of good riding practice.

Really nothing? I did wonder about it. Did you already know and the things they were telling you?

i took one lesson .. took the test and passed .. i rode a DR600 as a 125 on test ..

On test .. i took two dabs @ braking on a blind bend approaching a humpty back bridge that narrowed with little warning and a car was coming the other way ...

On the lesson .. i approached the rear of an HGV on a dual carriageway doing 56mph too close before over taking ..

On the lesson ...i over took a stream of parked cars under 20mph with some oncoming traffic .. he said i was over cautious ..

nothing new .. make of that what you will ... :popcorn:

IAM a better rider than you gang .

many a word said in jest :cheers:

@Copycat73

Surprised at that. Did you do it with Northumberland group, as a minimum they do observed rides with different observers just incase first one misses anything.

Northeast iirc.. it would be on the A3 sized certificate .. if it matters at all .. :scratch:

• 4 months later...

Bit of an update, I've switched to a group in another area as I was still waiting to start with the other group. Fingers crossed I can actually get some additional training underway soon.

• 2 months later...

Four check rides in and it's going well. My observer isn't in the least patronising and Im enjoying it. I'm not learning anything revolutionary but it's helping me improve.

I'm not sure but the IAM have their own insurance tie in company so they may assist.

If it does lower then that will be nice but it's not why I'm doing it.

IAM Surety are based in Ireland and premiums are high to start with, they have quoted me several time and have never been able to compete with price of other insurers such as Bennetts and Bikesure.