Air Rifles

Topper

So.............

I am wanting to buy an air rifle for some plinking in the garden but also wanting to shoot it at the range too, so dont want some scabby old thing, but also dont want to be spending a bomb either.

Couple of guns I have taken a fancy to are both BSA's One a springer and the other is a nitrogen filled PCP.

I fancy the PCP but know nothing about them. How long does the fill last? How do you re-fill them with Nitrogen? can you do it yourself or do you take them to the shop?

Just thought we might have a few gun fellas or ladies on here that might give me a few tips?

I await your responses with anticipation :D

I got one of these earlier in the year for getting rid of the rats in our warehouse:

IMG_1566.JPG.2bf573281b955ec86b30cdff16e27caf.JPG

Since the ratties have been despatched my boys have been enjoying using it for hole-punching paper targets. A fill gives you about 70 shots before the accuracy starts to decline, then it's either a case of re-charging it using the stirrup pump or, if you're lazy like me and happen to have an old 15L scuba cylinder kicking around, you can fill the cylinder at the dive shop and pick up a charging whip for the rifle at the same time. :D

[mention]cockercas[/mention] gave me loads of good advice when I was looking - maybe shoot him a PM (if you'll pardon the expression). :thumb:

Aah air rifles, happy days. What’s the law with them now? I remember around the age of 10 taking an air rifle down the lane looking for random stuff to shoot and a passing adult saying make sure you don’t shoot at anyone. Imagine that now, Id probably be gunned down before the first daisy head had got blasted off its stalk!

I got one of these earlier in the year for getting rid of the rats in our warehouse:

IMG_1566.JPG

Since the ratties have been despatched my boys have been enjoying using it for hole-punching paper targets. A fill gives you about 70 shots before the accuracy starts to decline, then it's either a case of re-charging it using the stirrup pump or, if you're lazy like me and happen to have an old 15L scuba cylinder kicking around, you can fill the cylinder at the dive shop and pick up a charging whip for the rifle at the same time. :D

@cockercas gave me loads of good advice when I was looking - maybe shoot him a PM (if you'll pardon the expression). :thumb:

That looks like a nice tactical rifle sir. Similar to the one I want :D

So....... you say fill with a scooba diving tank? I thought it had to be nitrogen in a PCP rifle not Oxygen......or is it nitrogen in a scooba tank? Not a clue

IMG_1566.JPG

@cockercas gave me loads of good advice when I was looking - maybe shoot him a PM (if you'll pardon the expression). :thumb:

So....... you say fill with a scooba diving tank? I thought it had to be nitrogen in a PCP rifle not Oxygen......or is it nitrogen in a scooba tank? Not a clue

It's a Gamo Phox, and it's been great!

A standard scuba fill is filtered air, and is fine for an air rifle. You can get a nitrox fill if you've got the cert card, but I don't know why you'd bother - it's an expensive way to go about it.

Aah air rifles, happy days. What’s the law with them now? I remember around the age of 10 taking an air rifle down the lane looking for random stuff to shoot and a passing adult saying make sure you don’t shoot at anyone. Imagine that now, Id probably be gunned down before the first daisy head had got blasted off its stalk!

The law now says you can't shoot anyone unless they really piss you off. I think they're quite strict on that point.

IMG_1566.JPG

It's a Gamo Phox, and it's been great!

A standard scuba fill is filtered air, and is fine for an air rifle. You can get a nitrox fill if you've got the cert card, but I don't know why you'd bother - it's an expensive way to go about it.

See thats because I know nothing about guns Mark :D I just know I want a PCP and the one I am currently looking at is nitrogen filled so just assumed I had to fill it with Nitrogen :?

The law now says you can't shoot anyone unless they really piss you off. I think they're quite strict on that point.

Sounds fussy to me. What am I supposed to do with this hit list now?

I think it depends where you live. Out here in the sticks I know a few of the local kids have got some air rifles and I didn't bat an eyelid at someone walking past us in the woods a while back with a shot gun over his arm. Where as in a city all hell would break loose.

I think it depends where you live. Out here in the sticks I know a few of the local kids have got some air rifles and I didn't bat an eyelid at someone walking past us in the woods a while back with a shot gun over his arm. Where as in a city all hell would break loose.

Unless you live in Moss Side...... its normal there :thumb:

Are you sure it's a nitrogen filled PCP and not a gas ram?

I've got a few springers - I bought a Hassan S1000 Striker a few years ago to get back into it, I slapped a cheapie scope on it and spent ages up the range with it - I was very impressed considering it was around the £100 mark. Nice and accurate and light.

Then I got a Weihrauch HK97K with a reasonable scope. The quality is phenomenal as is the accuracy, it just feels so nice to use with minimal recoil. It does weigh a bit mind you and I'm not sure I'd want to do loads of standing, unrested stuff with it.

I was intending on getting a PCP but my local range closed so I've been stuck in the back garden since. My next local range had a rules list like the Bible which put me off.

Don't worry about range cred, there are plenty of nobbers with all the flash gear who spend ages setting up their gear and lining up a shot. Then there are those who bring what they've got, get on with it and slot round after round on target. Same as biking really. ;-)

Can you get to a dealer and shoulder a few?

If you fancy something a bit more than pinking in the garden, but not killing rats.

Have a look at Airsoft. You actually get to shoot people there :lol: (although Airsoft guns are not quiet as powerful as air guns.

i had an old gasram air rifle as a kid for hunting, loved the thing, accurate, quiet and deadly within range.

At work we use those cheap gas hatsans, they do ok for killing pigeons and the like but their power drops off quite drastically as the gas starts to run down.

How long a fill lasts depends on a few things, like how good the regulator is, how big the bottle is, but If you are back garden plinking then a single fill will be enough to keep you busy that’s for sure.

Buy a dive bottle not a pump unless you want a major workout with each fill. It’s best to buy a new one as the cost of getting it re-tested (lots of places won’t fill bottles out of test) often means cheap ones aren’t cheap any more.

Gamo Coyote is a pretty good starter PCP, lots of BSA parts but without the price tag. Don’t worry about the range snobs, it doesn’t matter what you have, someone will always look down on you and that’s their problem, not yours! :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

thanks awfully for your replies, I have only just realised I wrote this thread, as my setting were not correct in my user profile :crybaby:

Fro...........

Yes I did mean the rifle was a gas ram and not a pcp :thumb:

I ended up buying a Limited addition BSA Scorpion RS Platinum in .177................... very nice gun. I just need to get out and shoot the bugger now :D

I need to keep my ears open for any farmers that allow you to shoot on their land, as well as join Byley shooting range........thats on my door step.

thanks again everyone

I’m not

Ive heard :thumb: :wink: :wink:

Damn I never should of put that Michael Cohen on containment :D

There will be some tales coming out there now............... Trumpy boy will deny all knowledge. Maybe he could be target practise :D