Portable generator for bike in storage?

Squealy_Wheelie

How about this then ? I went to Halfords today to get some oil and I had a look at the bike batteries. Because they are no longer allowed to sell the gel batteries with a separate acid pack , they have to put the acid in themselves. When do they do that you may ask ? At the point of purchase ? No , in f*****g JUNE 2018 that's when ! ( That's what the stickers said ) So when you shell out £50 for a a YTX14BS, it's been sat dormant on a shelf for six months . And did they put it on an Optimate every couple of weeks ? Like heck did they . Food for thought here .

Are you sure?

I bought a battery from there recently and I had to put the acid in

The box states something about June 2018 but I put the acid in

Oh , I don't know then , I think it said Activation Date . I can't imagine what else it would mean other than when the acid was put in . All the boxes had been extensively sellotaped up so I couldn't actually see inside.

How about this then ? I went to Halfords today to get some oil and I had a look at the bike batteries. Because they are no longer allowed to sell the gel batteries with a separate acid pack , they have to put the acid in themselves. When do they do that you may ask ? At the point of purchase ? No , in f*****g JUNE 2018 that's when ! ( That's what the stickers said ) So when you shell out £50 for a a YTX14BS, it's been sat dormant on a shelf for six months . And did they put it on an Optimate every couple of weeks ? Like heck did they . Food for thought here .

Are you sure?

I remember reading recently that new regulations mean they can't sell empty batteries with the acid to be installed by the purchaser. I'm always wary of how long batteries have been on the shelf so look to buy from somewhere with a high turnover.

This is my understanding too. I was told this by the manager at my local tyre fitters in Coleshill.

but you go buy a normal sealed battery that already has acid in it from manufacturer .no different . they have a recharge by date that can be over a year from filling .

I do take your point , but is it not the case that the SUPPLIER puts the acid in before dispatch ? Many sealed batteries still have a push - in cap strip so they only become sealed after filling . I'm not too sure now .

Are you sure?

Oh , I don't know then , I think it said Activation Date . I can't imagine what else it would mean other than when the acid was put in . All the boxes had been extensively sellotaped up so I couldn't actually see inside.

I'm pretty sure that's what mine says but the acid wasn't in! I still have the box somewhere I think so I will check :?

[mention]fastbob[/mention] [mention]Mississippi Bullfrog[/mention]

I think this answers it https://www.yuasa.co.uk/2018/08/important-uk-announcement-new-regulations-will-change-the-way-motorcycle-batteries-can-be-sold/

you may well be right about them being activated already but I know for a fact mine wasn't! maybe they missed it :?

@fastbob @Mississippi Bullfrog

I think this answers it https://www.yuasa.co.uk/2018/08/important-uk-announcement-new-regulations-will-change-the-way-motorcycle-batteries-can-be-sold/

you may well be right about them being activated already but I know for a fact mine wasn't! maybe they missed it :?

Yes, that's what I was thinking of.

You can see why they would want to try control the whole acid thing

I guess so but it can be irritating at times.

If everyone was tripping all day nothing would ever get done . Oooh! look , I can hear millions of little green hexagons that are speaking fish language, is my nose still there ? Help, I don't know if I'm here or not because I don't recognise my feet , oh dear etc etc

Personally, for short runs where you need warm hands I'd go for heated gloves and run them off a good sized lithium power pack...if you've got somewhere to carry the power pack.

As above

Also don't rule out Barbados

I’ve owned 3 pairs of battery heated gloves so far, they were shit. This is how i ended up with the heated handlebar grips as its the only thing that remotely helps and i can wear gloves that don’t look like oven mits while using :)

I’m wondering about connecting up the handlebar warmers to an external power supply, then if it drains the battery its not a big deal. Wondering if a spare bike battery would fit in the compartment under the seat.

Currently i have the handlebars grips fixed to the battery terminals then the battery charger cable fitted above them. Would be fiddly as fook if i had to go down the road of dismantling the whole lot using a head torch in the storage container to remove the battery to carry home to charge each time

I’m off to check out the storage container today to ask about fitting a solar panel to the roof too, and if the yard has had any problems with thieving ar*eholes in the past.