Ktm duke 125 help!

Ktmguy89

Hi guys and girls. I'm in desperate need of some help. I tried to start the bike on the way to work and it wouldn't actually start but it was trying to turn over. The dashboard and the headlights were turning off when I pressed the ignition and then coming back on when I released it. I thought flat battery but that's been fully charged and not fully solved the problem. However now it will start after some trying and will rev fine until I release the throttle it will sit on idle for maybe ten seconds then die. I also sprayed some Wd40 around the ht lead as this fixed the problem last time straight away. When it did start the first time it was chucking out a lot of fumes from the exhaust but after some time revving that seems to have cleared up for now. Any help suggestions and knowledge will be truly appreciated

Thanks!

I'd replace the HT lead . Damp weather like we're having now can play havoc with a dodgy lead . Hopefully it is designed to be detached from the coil as well as the plug . Just buy a metre of standard black HT lead , don't mess with silicon lead because it's soft and not so easy to fit .

Another update! Thanks for all your advice so far really appreciate it. It fired up first time this morning but was misfiring for a couple miles or so then stopped. Could this be due to maybe trying to start it so much yesterday? Ktms are apparently renowned for having shite electrics so it could well be a dodgy ht lead which may also explain its tendency to cut out now and again when I'm holding the clutch in and slowing down am I right?

• 3 years later...

I have a problem my KTM duke 125 has a problem spark plug was black I changed it now it fires up but runs like crap and when u put it in geare it cuts out but put it in N it starts again and u have to rev slow or it cuts out any help 

On 06/07/2022 at 12:39, Simon.duke said:

I have a problem my KTM duke 125 has a problem spark plug was black I changed it now it fires up but runs like crap and when u put it in geare it cuts out but put it in N it starts again and u have to rev slow or it cuts out any help 

Sounds like either it's way too rich or you've got a weak spark.