Good YouTube riders

Smee

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for decent riders on YouTube. The ones just sharing their daily experiences rather than the idiots being stupid for the likes.

In particular i'm currently interested in seeing how filtering works in the real world. As a new rider I know I can filter (under the correct conditions) but I never do. I did try it once when out with a more experienced friend, he went right to the front of the traffic lights (front wheel over the line, which I know isn't legal!) and pulled away swiftly without issue. I ended up going slowly between two cars pulling off at the same time as me, and poo'd myself until the car on my left made a gap for me. Entirely my own fault of course and down to lack of experience.

Since then i've read and watched plenty of material, but it all seems to focus on some perfect world i've yet too see. Usually one where there happens to be a nice gap between the front car and the solid line, or a good gap between the 1st and 2nd car to slip into. Or when riders get caught in the middle and the lights change, they happen to have a courteous driver that lets them slip in.

So yeah, i'd love to see how these more advanced practices are executed in the real world by someone not doing an instructional video or similar.

I filter a lot on Motorways, which I find to be much safer than filtering on all other roads. On Motorways, you don't have traffic coming towards you from the opposite direction, side roads, or pedestrians (usually). I am much more cautious when filtering on any other road apart from a Motorway. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkVvn4ZSlp8

Edited by Wynne G Oldman

One of the things I watch out for when filtering is breaks in the traffic. If a car in the traffic either side of your filtering line isn't paying attention/pulls off slowly and opens up a gap watch out for cars sharply changing lanes. Those breaks can also mean they're letting a vehicle join or cross the road, which means you might have a vehicle pulling out suddenly and not looking in your direction if the road in the opposite direction is clear.

In the mornings watch out for condensation that you can't see that may have formed on the white lines or tarred joints in the road, they become very slippery. I've also found out the bumpy way that driving over catseyes and white lines in a car is very different to riding over them on a bike, white lines especially can be very high and can tilt the bike when you try to mount them from the side.

Biggest piece of advice is take is slow and steady, if the road is clear in the opposite direction don't be afraid to move over a bit further into the oncoming lane.

Main thing about filtering is the fact that you're moving/making progress and they aren't.

they happen to have a courteous driver that lets them slip in.

When you get a bit more confidence you do tend to "polietly barge in" :lol: with a cheerful head nod or wave obviously!

I filter most of my journey (London innit) but it took me a while to get confidence to do it.

Started in full stationary queues, low low speed keep an eye on the wheels of cars as it's easier to see them moving before the car does. Trust your instincts, sometimes you think "that car is gonna do something dumb" so you hang back and give yourself opportunity to reassess things. Gaps in lanes will encourage lane divers so be wary. Be loud! A small blip of the throttle if people are drifting or they're on the phone does often work - dont rev the shit out of it no one likes those guys, think of it more as a British cough to get attention! :lol:

Then filtered to the front of lights, then when lanes split off for turning ninjaing to the front of those by cutting in. Always with a cheery wave though! Remember especially if you commute you probably come across the Same cars so not pissing them off is a good plan!

Sometimes if it's wet and cold and I'm tired I'll wait in traffic light queues though because the most important thing when riding a bike is getting to your destination shiny side up.

An alternative approach would be to watch loads of on board videos of bad or unlucky riders coming to grief and then avoid doing what they did .

I was watching a few myself this morning and one thing that struck me was how many riders came off trying to keep up with the faster rider in front . What was even more striking was the number who ran into the back of the bike in front especially when the rider slowed down so that they could get their knee down for the camera . I've never enjoyed riding in groups myself. There are just too many extra things to concentrate on .

It took me a little while to actually "enjoy" filtering, but I really do. That said, I'm very, very careful and I always expect the unexpected (I have actually had a minor knock due to an idiot suddenly deciding to peel off from a stationary queue without indicating, and when I was level with his car).

I'm fairly cautious with regard to the width of gaps between cars, particularly as my mirrors have caught me out a couple of time. However, if you take the time to learn what is a skill, you'll get around for more efficiently and realise one of the biggest benefits of being on two wheels.

One thing to add... I also watch a lot of YT videos, but in many cases that guys concerned just filter too quickly to be safe (they'd be completely unable to respond to a sudden and unforeseen hazard). You can learn a lot from some of these guys, but it doesn't necessarily mean you should be trying to emulate them.

Thanks for the replies guys! Some material for me to watch whilst munching my sandwiches at lunch :)

I know there's no replacement for personal experience and I have no expectation of emulating whatever I see, but since filtering isn't even mentioned when doing CBT/DAS i'm hoping the videos impart some starting knowledge that I can then use on the road (they really should cover some basic filtering in the M/C training, even if it's not assessed. Like how car drivers can now do some training on motorways even though it's not part of the test)

I filter a lot on Motorways, which I find to be much safer than filtering on all other roads. On Motorways, you don't have traffic coming towards you from the opposite direction, side roads, or pedestrians (usually). I am much more cautious when filtering on any other road apart from a Motorway. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkVvn4ZSlp8

I'm the opposite hate filtering on motorways ... inbetween to lanes of traffic , nobs just changing lanes without looking or signalling , much prefer filtering on a normal road .

... filtering isn't even mentioned when doing CBT/DAS ...

I hadn't realised this was the case - I most certainly covered filtering on my DAS (September 2018, Dragon Training, Chester), to the extent that having disucssed the possibility before we set off, my instructor and I were filtering through traffic on the return ride from passing my MOD1.

It was a great way to be introduced to filtering, with the instructor able to talk to me through my headset, and me nodding or shaking my head in his mirrors to say I was confident or not to follow him through gaps and opportunities as we approached them.

Mine covered it too and encouraged it with why are we sat here comments, ohhh yea I don't have to be, took a while to break the car thought process and felt much safer with his comments in my ear, on your own for the first few times it was a lot scarier, now traffic makes me smile, well mostly.

Interesting that some of you covered it during training. Maybe (as you say) it's more of a thing in places where heavy traffic is the norm. Did you filter during the actual test also? I guess it's not impossible that in places like London you'd be expected to filter during your test otherwise you'd never make any progress and that's why it's covered in training down there...?

Or it could just be my instructor didn't want to add any unnecessary pressure. As a bit of a perfectionist I spent my entire time training doubting myself so I may have swayed his decision on whether to cover stuff that isn't part of the test.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I'm trying to be one of them

[media]

">
[/media

That's pretty good quality, actually. Presumably you used a chest mount, but did use use an external mic too because I liked the clearness of the exhaust notes?

Yep, chest mount and a Gimbal :wink:

I used H2N to record sound (tbh. I was not expecting that nice sound from the stock Akrapovic)

I glad to hear that you liked my video, thanks

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I'm trying to be one of them

[media]

">
[/media

That's pretty good quality, actually. Presumably you used a chest mount, but did use use an external mic too because I liked the clearness of the exhaust notes?

Yep, chest mount and a Gimbal :wink:

I used H2N to record sound (tbh. I was not expecting that nice sound from the stock Akrapovic)

I glad to hear that you liked my video, thanks

I’ve subscribed :thumb: