U-turn fear

Slowlycatchymonkey

Great ride down to Sheppys Cider Farm today, nice lunch in the cafe, roads were good, sun was shining Mr Slowly was happy as Larry (why is it Larry?!) but it was marred by me realising I’ve developed a fear of u-turns in country lanes. Its the bit where the roads narrow and you have to use a gateway or similar to get enough width meaning you move from tarmac to uneven potholed gravel and/or mud whilst on full lock, this for me is definitely a paddling job but it puts me at risk of using the front brake which is no-ones friend in this scenario so it makes my heart race.

I there another way?

Decided I was being pathetic and googled for help and amongst the useless advice this vid was included, supposedly helpful but really it just rubs salt in. Still impressive stuff on such an unwieldy bike.

">

He makes that look so easy I’m gonna give it a go. Cheers.

Professor Google says-

It originates from a boxer called Larry Foley in the 1890s, before boxing was fully legalised. He won the biggest prize of about $150,000 dollars and a newspaper article had the headline “Happy As Larry” and the phrase stuck.

He makes that look so easy I’m gonna give it a go. Cheers.

I wouldn't on the BMW the quickest way to snap the side stand.

Wouldn't want to do it at all really , side stand is what it is , a side stand , it will end in disaster if you kept doing that .

U turns on rural roads with gravel and mud really are a no win scenario. You are wise to put your feet down and paddle the bike. The idea you need to be able to do a U turn with putting a foot down is fine on clean tarmac but that's not what we have to ride on most of the time.

I used the 3 point paddling technique on small North Devon roads as I got continually lost trying to bag tags.

I managed to drop the rear wheel into a ditch on two occasions, luckily brute force and minimal off road experience dug me out of trouble.

The lesson learned is don’t automatically assume clumps of foliage are on a firm footing, only reverse on to what is absolutely firm ground!!

On three point turns, you can brake sharply with the front wheel at slow speed , grab the clutch and as the forks rebound release the brake and use this energy to start the bike rolling backwards . Works for me .

Thanks for all the replies :thumb:

Three point turn, backing onto the uneven ground sounds like exactly what I’m after. I’ve always ridden forward into an opposite gateway but that’s a much wiser move. Very happy :thumb: I’m almost looking forward to trying it out... almost.

Grabbing the brake sharply and using the rebound is probably a skill too far for me at the mo but I’ll definitely keep it in mind when I’m ready.

I dont mind paddling at all (most of my u-turn are paddling :oops:) it’s the slippery muddy tyre grooves running opposite to your front wheel that give me the heebiejeebies, especially when it requires extra revs to get over them and your front wheels full lock. The reversing in three point will do away with that :thumb:

Most of mine are caused by getting lost but some of the roads round here remind me of this-

">

Where are the stabilisers available? :D

On three point turns, you can brake sharply with the front wheel at slow speed , grab the clutch and as the forks rebound release the brake and use this energy to start the bike rolling backwards . Works for me .

This sounds suspiciously like multitasking to me.

on the cruiser I'd have both feet down and I'd have as many goes as it took while staying on level firm ground!

I'd rather look silly manoeuvring than stupid lying on the ground with half a ton of bike on top of me! :lol:

on the cruiser I'd have both feet down and I'd have as many goes as it took while staying on level firm ground!

I'd rather look silly manoeuvring than stupid lying on the ground with half a ton of bike on top of me! :lol:

I too prefer to 3 point turn than U turn, unless there is tons of space to do the U turn.