Selling bikes

Fenland Plodder

First of all, hello to you all. I've been lurking for some time now enjoying the posts and advice offered, but only now am wanting some advice of my own. I've just changed my bike, a little earlier than I'd planned, and now have a bike to sell. Having just had it serviced and fitted with two new tyres I thought a private sell might be a little more profitable than a trade in. The question is, who to sell through? I'm not keen on massive eBay fees should I go down the normal eBay route, so it's a classified ad with them, or through MCN. Both are similarly priced and will have the bike advertised for four weeks. My plan was to upgrade in the Spring, but saw something too good to refuse. So MCN or eBay, and should I sit tight for a few weeks and wait for the weather to pick up? Or are there alternatives I'm missing? Any advice on what others have used much appreciated. Thanks.

It's a 2016 SV650. It's the new shape (AL7) just under 8k on clock. Seems to make sense to try various forums first for free before trying one of the bigger sites. Rightly or wrongly I always look on eBay as it's just so much more navigable on my device. But like MCN site it's dominated by dealers. That said, huge market on both sites, but that's what you're paying for I suppose. Thanks to all for advice offered.

I sold my 125 through eBay, luckily the fees weren't too high. Sometimes you can list when they have an offer on fees.

I had no interest through Gumtree (but of course you might have more joy), Facebook was just filled with time wasters offering stupid swaps (ask a few questions then suddenly offering a quad bike as a part exchange) and people making ridiculous offers (worst was a dealer who rang and offered £400 when I had it listed for four times that)

The one benefit of Facebook is that if you've joined a few selling pages it's easy to share across all of them, they e really got that working well.

I did look at the more classic motor listing sites but due to the value of my bike it wasn't worth it, but I can see the attraction if you have a higher value bike to sell.

Shpock is good .. if bought a load off them when all my buying.was eBay now I don't touch eBay... I bought my wife's bike off shpock had to drive 200 miles but itnwas still a steal including the petrol we had a nice day out .. ..

Thing with shpock is you will get some stupid offers but what ever the item is worth you will get close to it .. Also its FREE to use buy and sell

My only issue with Shpock is they don't prod sellers to check an item is still available. Many listings are ridiculously old. From chatting to one of their developers once I think they leave them on purpose to make the site look a lot busier than it is.

As a perpetual potential buyer of many used bikes (aren't we all?!) I spend ages each day looking at autotrader, and autotrader alone. I've bought and sold through it successfully 3 times. Though of course other sites offer free listings and you'd be silly not to list there too.

Oh dear , I've got all this to look forward to in the new year. I'm going to start advertising my GSXR again next week. I realise that I'm going to have to be more realistic with the asking price but it's going to be heart-breaking if I have to practically give it away. 😭

• 2 weeks later...

I sold my focus ST on gumtree. Did have it on eBay and had no interest. As with most places like gumtree you just have to bite you’re tongue when the wasters want to swap it for a laptop or mountain bike.

Personally I’ve never looked on auto trader or MCN for a bike, I just look on eBay and Gumtree. Gumtree is free to list so be silly not to stick it on and give it a go

• 3 weeks later...

My Yamaha XSR900 is just going up for sale, but just wondering if it's still too wintry for people to be actively looking for a new bike?

My time to get the last few good rides out of it is severely limited preparing for a new born in the spring so looking to get rid sooner rather than later to help fund the nursery etc.

My Yamaha XSR900 is just going up for sale, but just wondering if it's still too wintry for people to be actively looking for a new bike?

My time to get the last few good rides out of it is severely limited preparing for a new born in the spring so looking to get rid sooner rather than later to help fund the nursery etc.

Well with a bubba on the way it's going up for sale regardless or you'll have your wife to answer to!

I have 2 friends who just bought bikes because they passed their tests and didn't want to wait. People also think buying bikes is cheaper in winter (may be true) so someone might buy it if it's priced well. Put 'winter sale' in the title ;-)

I went with Gumtree to start with as it's free. Had a few dealers offering fairly low which I expected. Then accepted an offer only for buyer to turn round an hour later and say another bike he'd had an offer on had been accepted!! Had similar experiences with eBay as well when selling other stuff. Guess the world is just full of time wasters. Anyway, on here and on Gumtree for free for another month, then it's eBay classified or MCN.