ABBA stand woes

learningtofly

I snagged an ABBA stand at the NEC recently, with fittings no. 052 - the correct number for my 2018 Street Triple R (having subsequently checked with ABBA). My problem, though, is that however many times I try I can't manage to get the stand securely on the bike such that I can then lift it off the ground. The problem is that the fitting on the left hand side always seems to detach from the swing arm nut.

I'm sure it's me, but is anyone using the stand successfully on the same bike? if so, did you have any difficulties initially?

I use on on my Speed Triple, only problems I’ve had is the LH fitting scratching the frame ( user error ... grrrr ) and the LH fitting being such a snug fit that I have to use grips to remove it.

I spoke to the ABBA people at the NEC who said that it has to be snug due to the way it works and are aware that there can be issues with that range, but if I sent it to them they would bring it down and re-anodise it for free - I haven’t bothered.

If yours does not fit at all, then a bit of measuring maybe required.

Is it one with a cup and centre pin ( as per the Speed Triple )?

Thanks guys. Just spoken to ABBA, and it seems that my problem is not holding the left side on firmly enough as I attach the right side. I've got some chores to do this morning but I'm hoping to give it another go later before I go to football!

Thanks guys. Just spoken to ABBA, and it seems that my problem is not holding the left side on firmly enough as I attach the right side. I've got some chores to do this morning but I'm hoping to give it another go later before I go to football!

I've had this problem I've found carefully lifting the arm that goes user the bike to make clearance to attach the part with the winder doesn't dislodge the other side, mostly :roll:

Glad that worked out.

I sent my old one back, as I got one for my project Blackbird at the time.

I'd borrowed one on my smaller bikes like SV650's and CBR600's with no issues. But on the Blackbird, if the attachments were even fractionally out, it would correct during the lift with a very unsettling lurch/jolt and the first time I let go to grab the bike as I thought it was going over. I called them up and tried a few things but even when it was going right it was taking the paint off the frame and scoring the frame recesses so I didn't think it was fit for the job.

Was a shame but I've never had an issue using paddock stands and scissor lifts/axle stands to get the bike off the floor.

I found the best way to fit the stand was to tap the LH fitting into place first then offer the stand up to it, this keeps the stand away from the frame and potential scratching.

And as [mention]goat[/mention] says, make sure it’s good and tight - if you’re a bit limp wristed use something on the tightening screw to give some mechanical advantage ( not too much though or you’ll crack the welds )

ABBA stand is better in some jobs, paddocks for others.

Rear paddock ok if you have bobbins not if you use the stand with cups. Got my ABBA for the GPX after the rear stand slipped a couple of time while getting the rear wheel out.

Also use the ABBA when working on the front when I need the wheel off the ground and be able to move the steering.

seems like an awful lot of bother when a paddock stand/s would do the job better.

Try servicing your rear shock linkages using a paddock stand...... :wink:

Block of wood between tyre and subframe :wink:

seems like an awful lot of bother when a paddock stand/s would do the job better.

Bloody tight Yorkshireman..... :lol: :lol:

Bloody tight Yorkshireman..... :lol: :lol:

Nah I use a winch from the garage roof :lol: