Recondisoned startng motor HELP NEEDED

BIKERDAD

So, you can measure some resistance (armature windings) between the copper segments on the commutator?

Can you measure the same resistance between the starter connection stud and the starter body when it's all assembled?

Hi :spank: :spank: :spank: well not now as I had a wee paddy last night trying to check the solenoid and :hammer: broke my muilt meter as it kept fallen off the bike while I was trying to hold the 2 leads . So I need to buy a new set leads . So it's still not starting and I'm having cull days away from it as I'm doing my nutt :bang: :bang: :bang: so all step back get your thinking caps on and I'll be back soon as the new leads arrive . Thanks Iain

Hi the other day I was turning the copper ring to keep it from sticking while I had it I my hands and I turned it and the top of the starter came lose (where the dogs are I panicked I thought I just it lol) and I opened it I taken out the flat disk and tried to push the armature out to clean it but it wouldn't come out it was like a spring action as I pushed it pulled itself back in to the casing . So I just put it back togeather . The cogs and all was covered in clean oil no lumps of crap just oily but clean ..

Hi the other day I was turning the copper ring to keep it from sticking while I had it I my hands and I turned it and the top of the starter came lose (where the dogs are I panicked I thought I just it lol) and I opened it I taken out the flat disk and tried to push the armature out to clean it but it wouldn't come out it was like a spring action as I pushed it pulled itself back in to the casing . So I just put it back togeather . The cogs and all was covered in clean oil no lumps of crap just oily but clean ..

So you haven't actually taken all of this starter motor apart then . The spring action is called magnetism ! As far as I can see there is nothing visibly wrong with this motor . I suggest you COMPLETELY strip and clean the whole thing and carefully re build it .

From what I've read you still haven't tested the solenoid windings? Or have I missed it :shock:

I believe the motor has been tested directly off the battery and still didn't spin.

From what I've read you still haven't tested the solenoid windings? Or have I missed it :shock:

I believe the motor has been tested directly off the battery and still didn't spin.

There's power at the solenoid when button pressed but no click. So it's either open circuit, no ground connection or stuck. That's where I'd start, at the beginning, the motor not running is the next fault.

There's power at the solenoid when button pressed but no click. So it's either open circuit, no ground connection or stuck. That's where I'd start, at the beginning, the motor not running is the next fault.

I completely agree but it's a bit late for that now that the motor has been partially stripped and still doesn't work .

Have you actually removed the starter motor from the bike ?

Yes around 20 times lol one the last times was to do the photos ......I'll be at the bike again sat .I'll post any news good or bad .later on afternoon . Cheers

Sorry, hoped you had , its just that in your original post you seem to have still got it on the bike . Let's hope you can nail this thing tomorrow.

I did m8 .. if done a new.post so I'll just be saying thank you to all you guys for your help.. also . If any you guys out her need help ask on here and when you by tools dont by the cheapest tools . Iv never been a guy who buys tool because some famous person name or high priced stuff .As iv found some cheap tools just Do the job .As I bought a cheap muilt meter back.last year £10 at most cant quite remember but because i had a crap meter it was showing power when there was no power so pay a few quid as I'm sure it be worth it..

So my bike starter NOW TURNS OVER so later.i will be starting it up and going .for a well deserved ride .

I changed the start solenoid put it on the bike pulled the battery back on and pushed the starter.button and the starter turned over didn't start the bike up as its a bit late..

So why did the starter not turn over when I put the jump.leads on to it ???????? .. As if the starter had turned over last week I would have changed the solenoid..

Well it's working thanks guys ..