Honda SS125

Lovely, now that the bars are back on its become a bike again !

Yes it looked a bit odd without the bar's.

I had left them off as it lives under a bench and thought the bar's would get in the way,but with a bit of manouvering fits under ok :thumb:

New battery arrived today along with front indicator stems,yet another part that succumbed to rust.

Also new front indicators on their way.

It's getting dangerously close to switching on and making it run for the first time in nearly 2 decades.

Be good to see this 49 year old bike back on the road.

20190108_180409-1651x1238.thumb.jpg.3b438173f5011b7f63d73f7d185735ad.jpg

20190108_180921-1651x1238.thumb.jpg.e48a903e4cc8954dc705d2e8b6559ce5.jpg

20190108_181538-1651x1238_crop_674x495.jpg.c052c2937dff9e2f7bdd9a63179e551f.jpg

Is that a dry battery with a container of acid for you to use to fill the battery. Thought acid was not to be supplied loose any more.

Is that a dry battery with a container of acid for you to use to fill the battery. Thought acid was not to be supplied loose any more.

And so did I ! Maybe this supplier hasn't heard yet .

And so did I ! Maybe this supplier hasn't heard yet .

Yes it was a dry battery with acid included in a bottle, when I was looking to buy a battery saw many supplied without acid and you have to source locally.

What a faff.Checked it tonight and it reads a healthy 6.25 V. Remind never to ride it in the dark!

Fitted new front indicators.

20190109_192036-1651x1238.thumb.jpg.20cf9b1248ff9b960e1e4646996305e0.jpg

Amazingly it started 2nd kick this morning after almost 20 years.

Had to hook up a remote fuel tank as the fuel tap started dripping, rebuild kit needed there.

Despite the open exhaust ports it sounded sweet,sorry neighbours.

The carb started to overflow so that cut short the running, took the float bowl off for investigation.

Headlight wired up, thats main beam :shock:

Rear lights working aswell.

Ordered a C50 exhaust as it looks similar to the original.

Painted the exhaust flanges, they were really badly corroded as almost everything has been on this bike.Shot blasted them at work and coated with heat resistant paint

Painted the points cover and gear lever with chrome paint.Not sure how good its going to look but just as a stop gap until I can source better condition parts.

20190119_100127-1238x1651.thumb.jpg.6200504e0407cd767c2f5067487ef14a.jpg

20190119_102902-1651x1238.thumb.jpg.d09896e299ed621dbe80601ac797d978.jpg

Perhaps the picture is deceptive but that headlight looks like a candle in a jam jar .😎

No that's about as good as it is :D

The dip beam has gone so need a new bulb,hopefully that will perk it up a bit.

A whole 35w of lighting power, pfft.

On this restoration i have been fitting as far as possible fasteners in keeping with the age of the bike; hex heads and dome headed screws on the engine cases, no capheads here.

My question here is I assume plastic number plates screws didn't exist in 1970, (I was only 6 years old and not really paying attention) so were number plates just bolted on with no attempt to disguise the bolt head? Was thinking just a normal hex head and nyloc nut?

I can actually fit black and white or silver plates now, will go for a pressed aluminium type.

Although it was a very long time ago (1977) so I might be mistaken...

I used to have a Saturday job at International Motorcycles in Bromsgrove, and one of my jobs was making up metal number plates with plastic moulded characters and fitting them to new bikes.

From what I remember the plates were fixed on with dome headed metal inserts with a spring washer that fitted into a groove in the insert at the back.

Of course this might have just been the dealers choice.

So ordered a C90 exhaust but the downpipe is too small compared to the 125.

I thought because the 125 cylinders are 62.5cc the pipe size would be comparable but not so,the C90 is like a pea shooter.

I've now ordered a pair of CB125 twin pipes, the style looks about right ,might just need a bit of cut and shut to get it to fit.

That’s because they are fitted using child labour with hands the size of a six year olds.

we have a few parents on here... so top tip everyone: teach your kid to put wiring away to factory standard. Sounds like the perfect way to earn you some farkle money!! :lol: :lol:

nothing like having small hands at times for getting into tight places it beats having hands like dinner plates when working on the bike, a few years ago I renovated a yam rxs 100 and there was some tight places on that :P