Winter riding and maintenance.

jw5876

Post Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:01 pm

Hi all,

Just bought my dream bike, it's a Triumph America Bonneville. Absolutely love it but I do use my bike for commuting. I'm worried that all the salt will harm the bike. I'm planning on cleaning weekly but is that enough and any tips on products to clean all aspects including chrome pipes?

Thanks

ACF50 is your friend, apply and don't wash your bike until spring or Scottoiler FS365 spray everywhere (if wet this product needs appling regularly).

I used both combos and my R6 was immaculate after some heavy winter riding,

ACF50 is best applies when warmed up a little and use a brush to work it into the fiddly areas :thumb:

Act-50 applied with a compressor supplied paint sprayer does a brilliant job and uses very little product to get a great coverage. Make sure you cover up the brake callipers and all rubbery bits.

Act-50 applied with a compressor supplied paint sprayer does a brilliant job and uses very little product to get a great coverage. Make sure you cover up the brake callipers and all rubbery bits.

Is this how you apply it? Seems overly expensive and complicated when an aerosol is pretty effective.

Well as I already have compressor, paint gun and everything else it actually uses far less ACF-50 than using the supplied sprayer and rag and brush. It is also far quicker and provides a better coverage.

Don't spray it everywhere. Keep it well away from brakes, tyres and seat. Spray it on a rag and smear it on everything else. Use a brush in hard to reach areas. Rinse your brake calipers after every salty ride with cold water. Blow off water with a compressor or dog drier.

There are loads of videos on YouTube showing how to wash and winterise your bike. The main thing isd to get it very clean, thoroughly dry and then protect with ACF-50 or XCP (i might be wrong on the initials of the last one). Also make sure chain is well lubed. I've gone over to a Scottoiler to see if that is better than doing it every 200-300 miles. So far no complaints.

All pretty much answered really, ACF50 all the way, I spray it on a rag and wipe it over wheels and other visible bits, ACF50 seeps, which is what its supposed to do, so I spray it sparingly on other areas of the engine including electrics, usually do it on a warm engine, wash down with cold water after riding on salted Roads and never have a problem, one maybe two (at a push) coatings of ACF50 does me the entire winter. I give the whole bike a good clean down with muck off come the spring.

Another option, especially if riding a lot on salted roads is something called salt away, it mixes, via a supplied hose attachment. with cold water, it States that it leaves a rust proof residue on your vehicle, I've used it on the car and used it on my bike last year, works really well, again had no problems, it is expensive though. You can get it of Amazon

http://www.saltawayproducts.com

All the best :thumb: