Big bike choice.

Phill

I'm in a bit of a pickle picking a "big" bike for my needs, i don't know what to choose.

My needs are comfort, weather protection, reliability, and to be able to filter properly, because I'll b using the bike for commuting most of the time, with the occasional trip/motorway riding.

I hava seen zzr600's, thundercats, cbr600f, cbf600s, gsx600f... the zzr600 seems like a massive machine for filtering... my budget is around £2000 so there's plenty to choose from.

Should I run away from high mileage bikes? I mean bikes which have 30-40k miles on the clock. I don't want to buy a wreck.

Any suggestions?

Full fairing fz6, bandit,v strom 650, latter is very comfy, there are loads of bikes, at that price point but your likely looking at older or higher milage bikes.

more importantly you need to find a bike you like and one your comfortable on, you need to sit on a few and start narrowing it down, don't worry if you get it wrong you then buy another :D

I did sit on a V-Strom 650 and I've enjoyed the position and i've done my license on a SV650 and i like the engine, especially the torque and the way it sounds!

I'm afraid of not getting bored of it! :scratch:

I will definitely have a look this weekend at some bikes, i might pop to some dealers.

EDIT:

i have found this one, it's a ZZR600: https://www.budgetbikesuk.co.uk/used-kawasaki-zzr600-swindon-wiltshire-1677706

Not a bad price, looks alright from the pictures, and the price seems ok.

I will definitely have a look this weekend at some bikes, i might pop to some dealers.

EDIT:

i have found this one, it's a ZZR600: https://www.budgetbikesuk.co.uk/used-kawasaki-zzr600-swindon-wiltshire-1677706

N reg and an insurance claim, hmmmm I don't think I would go with something that old, you can end up spending money on anything but if this is going to be regular transport I think I would be wanting a lot newer.

Under 6k miles

Screenshot_20190121-195602.thumb.png.3d1efd6a4e38b62851f0a49d2ee1a520.png

EDIT:

N reg and an insurance claim, hmmmm I don't think I would go with something that old, you can end up spending money on anything but if this is going to be regular transport I think I would be wanting a lot newer.

Under 6k miles

Yeah, Too old actually.

Found this one: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808309983377?advertising-location=at_bikes&price-from=1500&price-to=2500&radius=55&cc-to=600&postcode=ox281ud&sort=distance&cc-from=500&page=1 .

I have had my GSX600F for 5 years.

I currently use it mostly for commuting to work - 21miles each way, mostly dual carriageway/motorway.

It is 2003 and had 21,000 miles when I bought it, currently 37,000.

Reliability has been good, apart from the usual oil/filters/tyres/chains/sprockets, it has needed a battery, rear brake switch, callipers overhauled. Not bad for 5 years and 16,000miles. It shares a lot of components with the Bandit 600.

I like it for my commute, engine isn't peaky, fairing keeps a lot of the weather off me,

Low speed journeys can get tiring on the arms, its a bit of a lean forward position, but for my commute at motorway sppeds its great.

ZZRs are quick, a lot quicker than mine, but engine is a bit peaky, the Z750 shown above might be worth a look.

CBR600 are generally good but can be expensive, Bandits are popular but fairings don't provideas much weather protection.

With budget of £2000 finding a good well looked after bike is you r best bet.

The advice I got on here when looking for my first bike was to buy the bike I could imagine myself riding in a couple of years time. Naturally I ignored it, and bought a ZZR600. I think I bought it because I ogled them endlessly as a teenager when they came out in the early 1990s, but I got bored with it within a couple of months and traded up to the 1200. That thing was a super-comfy missile and I had a smile on my face every time I got on it.

Plus, riding a 600 is a tacit admission that you're scared of going very fast, and girls know it. They pretend not to, or to care, but they do. I know this for a fact because many years ago I saw it happen when a mate on a 1000 got to take the girlfriend of a mate on a 600 for a spin. She dismounted, and turned to her friend Angela with the immortal words: "Fackin' 'ell Ange, I got a right draft up me flange!"

:thumb:

As others have said, you really need to go and sit on a few to see how they feel.

A couple of years ago I switched from Fazer FZS600 to a V-Strom 650. They are very different bikes but both nicely manageable for commuting or touring. The V-Strom is slightly taller than the Fazer. The Fazer is much smoother in acceleration. The V-Strom is heavier and bulkier than the Fazer but surprisingly nimble (depending on biking experience I suppose). The V-Strom has better wind protection and is more comfortable than the Fazer. Both give good mileage but I find the V-Strom is better.

If you buy either of these you will not regret it. Good luck.

[mention]Mack01[/mention]

Yeah, I have sat on a fazer aswell, the box eye model, I like the positioning. A friend of mine is selling his so hopefully I can get it at a good price.

It's vital that the bike has to be nimble because my commute involves miles of filtering sometimes.

Lots you just need to sit on them and find them lol, bandit is a fairly safe bet too although a bit ahhhem boring.

Or

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/suzuki/gsx750f/3594894/

Have you run any insurance quotes that may help with the decision.

I don't want bandits, personal reasons.

I did run an insurance quote on a fazer 600, it'll be around £350 per year, 3rd party, fire, theft, with 1 year of no-claim which i'll have at the beginning of february! :D.

I really need to find the time to go and look at bikes, that's one of the biggest issue at the moment.

I ha've found this in my budget:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/438466776199441/permalink/2109349655777803/?sale_post_id=2109349655777803

Full service history, very good cosmetic condition Foxeye model(which I love), but it has 42k miles. The price is not bad as well.

I'm a bit concerned about the mileage, since i will keep the bike for at least 1-2 years.

Obviously I'm biased since it's what I have but have you considered a vfr800? I find it very comfortable for my commute.

I got my 2003 with 45k on the clock for under 2k last year. Maybe something like this, there are a few on ebay\autotrader etc just depends on where you are

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901143918376?sort=price-asc&make=HONDA&radius=1501&model=VFR800F&postcode=sr69hz&year-from=2002&advertising-location=at_bikes&page=1

I did look at the bandit and fazr when i was looking at what to get, but the half fairing put me off compared to the full fairing.

Obviously I'm biased since it's what I have but have you considered a vfr800? I find it very comfortable for my commute.

I got my 2003 with 45k on the clock for under 2k last year. Maybe something like this, there are a few on ebay\autotrader etc just depends on where you are

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901143918376?sort=price-asc&make=HONDA&radius=1501&model=VFR800F&postcode=sr69hz&year-from=2002&advertising-location=at_bikes&page=1

I did look at the bandit and fazr when i was looking at what to get, but the half fairing put me off compared to the full fairing.

Looks good but the mileage!

I'm not sure if clip ons will help me with the filtering... I have to do a fair bit of it sometimes!

[mention]mikestrivens[/mention]

I'm gonna see the fazer Sunday!

The guy has sent me a video with the bike, started it it and there's a slight rattle from the engine at the tickover, maybe I'm being paranoid lol, mine rattles(ybr 125) a bit then it's cold as well.

I'll ask him to leave the bike cold so I can start it and have a listen.

Looks good but the mileage!

I'm not sure if clip ons will help me with the filtering... I have to do a fair bit of it sometimes!

oh I know I wasn't saying that particular one. Mine had 45k on it when I got it. Just need to look around and see what is more local to you. I got mine with a top box too, looks naff but bloody handy for commuting.

[mention]Hoggs[/mention]

That's good then!

Thing is high mileage= poor resale value. So either you're selling the bike at a crap price or ride it until it falls apart.

[mention]anth_85[/mention]

This particular bike is only 30-35 minutes away from my town.