Clutch cable problems

workpeter

Hi Everyone!

Looking for advice.

My Honda CBF600 has always been hard to pull the clutch in since i bought it few weeks ago. Then lately the bike started moving forward even though the clutch was all the way pulled in.

Anyways I tightening the clutch cable, pulled the lever and it snapped, so I fitted a new cable. The new one is connected to the clutch handle on one end and the actuator arm on the other end. When i pull the clutch in, the actuator arm swings about an inch with no real resistance, then it stops.

At this point I am too worried about pulling the clutch in any further in case the new cable snaps. Is the actuator arm meant to swing in even further? i think so, because the bike will stall if i attempt to go into gear due to clutch not disengaged.

If the arm is meant to swing further, should i risk pulling the cable tighter? Could it be something like the the clutch plates are stuck which could prevent the actuator arm swinging any further and giving to much resistance?

FYI, 50miles prior i put car oil into my bike, which probably caused all this to begin, so i recently changed the oil to the correct grade, although I haven't turned the bike on for more than 5minutes.

Thoughts?

You won't snap the cable unless you're a gorilla. Actuator may have slipped one tooth or more. 25mm is normal. Try pre tensioning it by removing arm and moving it one tooth away from cable end.

Hi and welcome to the forum

How much free play have you got at the lever? the new cable may have removed all the free play and have some pressure on the actuator all the time

FYI, 50miles prior i put car oil into my bike, which probably caused all this to begin, so i recently changed the oil to the correct grade, although I haven't turned the bike on for more than 5minutes.

This will not have cause the issue if anything it will have made the clutch slip if you used the wrong spec oil

Hi and welcome to the forum

How much free play have you got at the lever? the new cable may have removed all the free play and have some pressure on the actuator all the time

This will not have cause the issue if anything it will have made the clutch slip if you used the wrong spec oil

Regarding free play. As soon as i press the lever by the smallest bit, the actuator is pulled (without effort), then I am able to continue pulling lever until the lever has traveled to around half way to the handle bar, at which point the actuator no longer moves, and then tension can be felt for the first time on the lever. Its at this point i attempted to go into gear, and the bike stalled. I then concluded, i should *attempt* to pull the lever all the way to the handle bar, but I was worried i might snap the cable? I am assuming the actuator either wont move further and all the strain will be on the cable, or the actuator can move further, and strong resistance is result of sticking clutch plates?

After snapping my first cable, i really dont wna snap another lol.

Thank you all for welcome! :)

You won't snap the cable unless you're a gorilla. Actuator may have slipped one tooth or more. 25mm is normal. Try pre tensioning it by removing arm and moving it one tooth away from cable end.

Im able to move the Actuator with one finger without effort till a point which it stops. Im assuming then it can travel further if pulled strongly with cable? Currently at the point in which it stops, I dont think the clutch is disengaged.

It sounds like you're only taking up the free play rather than actually operating the clutch. If you can move the actuator with finger pressure I'd try setting it so with the clutch lever at rest nearly all of that free play is taken up. You should have just a few mm of lever travel before the pressure of the clutch mechanism is felt.

Im able to move the Actuator with one finger without effort till a point which it stops. Im assuming then it can travel further if pulled strongly with cable? Currently at the point in which it stops, I dont think the clutch is disengaged.

Well yes but you only need a little bit of free play, just enough for the clutch to fully engage and no more . When you say " Pulled strongly " you presumably just mean pulled by the lever with normal force . When you pull the lever all you should feel is the springyness of the clutch springs with no other resistance.

OK brilliant. I just wanted to double check the resistance i was feeling on the actuator was the clutch springs, and it sounds like from the feedback you guys are giving that the clutch cable shouldn't snap. i suspect my old one snapped because...well it was old.

Out of curiously. Apart from really strong clutch springs, what else would cause the resistance i feel when pulling in the clutch?

I just want to make sure the only resistance im pulling against is the clutch springs so i dont knacker out my new clutch cable after a days/weeks.

OK brilliant. I just wanted to double check the resistance i was feeling on the actuator was the clutch springs, and it sounds like from the feedback you guys are giving that the clutch cable shouldn't snap. i suspect my old one snapped because...well it was old.

Out of curiously. Apart from really strong clutch springs, what else would cause the resistance i feel when pulling in the clutch?

I just want to make sure the only resistance im pulling against is the clutch springs so i dont knacker out my new clutch cable after a days/weeks.

It's possible that your clutch basket has become notched . Other than that the only thing I can think of is dirt and damage inside the cable. Try fitting a Slinkeyglide cable , these are really smooth operating, available from Wemoto I think . Don't worry about not being able to move the actuator with your fingers that's what the lever is for , to provide leverage .

ok fixed. So i increased the tension as recommended by you guys. The arm actuator does swing further, i just couldnt do it with my finger. The cable didnt snap lol, guess i was just being paranoid. Now its pulling the actuator further in, the clutch is disengaging and i can change gear without stalling. thanks guys