Anyone removed a rear sub frame ?

Tankbag

Take a picture of the current assembly.

Undo everything attached to the rear subframe, even transferring it to the new one while doing so if convienient

Remove the subframe and put the new one in and put everything back on the new one where it was on the old.

That's all there really is to it (If it's like the 2 or 3 I've done). :thumb:

May I ask why you would want to do this modification ? Is the ally one weak or something ?

Yes Fastbob the ally one was changed for steel from 03 onwards & there was a recall due to some of the ally ones cracking due to the extra leverage from a pillion / luggage / both. I've got a nice trip to Colditz Castle planned & I don't want to risk it with my new luggage. I've sourced a steel sub for just 60 quid :thumb:

May I ask why you would want to do this modification ? Is the ally one weak or something ?

Yes Fastbob the ally one was changed for steel from 03 onwards & there was a recall due to some of the ally ones cracking due to the extra leverage from a pillion / luggage / both. I've got a nice trip to Colditz Castle planned & I don't want to risk it with my new luggage. I've sourced a steel sub for just 60 quid :thumb: Good score !

It's an easy job to do

If you're unsure then take pics

The hardest part is usually removing the undertray as the bolts are usually in all the elements and they can be a tight fit

Most of the time you can get away with leaving everything attached to the undertray and just dropping it down on to the tyre

Thanks [mention]Stu[/mention] I'm not gifted spannerwise but I'll muddle through, it's worth it if I avoid a large cracking sound behind me then the rear of the bike sitting on the tyre miles & miles from home

Thanks @Stu I'm not gifted spannerwise but I'll muddle through, it's worth it if I avoid a large cracking sound behind me then the rear of the bike sitting on the tyre miles & miles from home

I have heard of a lot of horror stories about these subframes especially if you replace the stock exhaust which helps with the support!

Was'nt there a recall over this issue? I know it all came to light when the Busa Gen 1 went from an all-out superbike to a sports cruiser and the luggage went on.

Was'nt there a recall over this issue? I know it all came to light when the Busa Gen 1 went from an all-out superbike to a sports cruiser and the luggage went on.

There was a recall Chrissb6 but either the original owner of my bike didn't take it back or it wasn't available in the UK or something

There was a recall Chrissb6 but either the original owner of my bike didn't take it back or it wasn't available in the UK or something

Might still be worth tapping Suzuki to see if they will do it under warranty, it's a safety issue after all