soaked chain with lube but STILL RATTLING??

potatobroxd

I've recently felt the need to lube the chain after weeks of riding in the rain; however, after lubing the chain with Wurth Dry lube there is still a noticeable amount of rattle despite SOAKING the chain with it. The chain has only been used for 1.8k miles so very new.

I am confused to whether if chain after lubing still has some rattle sound or is it completely smooth? Did I do something wrong?

EDIT: do dirty sprockets cause rattling? Ive realised ive only cleaned the chain but not the sprocket

EDIT 2:

I bought the bike used at 1700 miles now it has 1900. I assume it should be the factory fitted set. It's a CB125F if that adds anything

Edited by potatobroxd

Get a new chain and sprocket set. Sound's like you've wrecked your chain by riding with it way too tight and going for weeks without regularly lubricating it. Chain lube is not a remedy for making rattles go away , it's for stopping them happening in the first place . And never mind knackering the wheel bearings , at least they can be easily replaced. With an over tightened chain it's the strain on the output shaft bearing you want to be worried about.

Check the chain tension.

For most bikes there should be about 20-30mm of chain movemnt.

Check it 1/2 way between front and rear sprocket. Use a ruler to check the movement while pushing up and down with fingers. It is better to check it while the bike is on the sidestand, if you cehckit while onthe centre stand it gorda bot tighter when the bikeis back onits wheels and the suspeension compresses.

Too tight will cause damage, who fitted the chain and sprockets? Was it adjusted ocreectlyot start with? Has it been adjusted since?

A new chain will settle in slacken during the forst 500miles or so, and will needa n adustment.

Then it not wear quickly and may only require adjustment occasionally.

Are you sure soemthing else is not loose, check the nuts on the rear sprocket and remove the cover and have a look at the front sprocket.

Check the chain tension.

For most bikes there should be about 20-30mm of chain movemnt.

Check it 1/2 way between front and rear sprocket. Use a ruler to check the movement while pushing up and down with fingers. It is better to check it while the bike is on the sidestand, if you cehckit while onthe centre stand it gorda bot tighter when the bikeis back onits wheels and the suspeension compresses.

Too tight will cause damage, who fitted the chain and sprockets? Was it adjusted ocreectlyot start with? Has it been adjusted since?

A new chain will settle in slacken during the forst 500miles or so, and will needa n adustment.

Then it not wear quickly and may only require adjustment occasionally.

Are you sure soemthing else is not loose, check the nuts on the rear sprocket and remove the cover and have a look at the front sprocket.

I bought the bike used at 1700 miles now it has 1900. I assume it should be the factory fitted set. It's a CB125F if that adds anything

It'll be the original chain and sprocket set, adjust it to the correct tension. It's a simple task and loads of videos on YouTube, something everyone with a bike should be able to do.

I've figured how to do it, although i dont have the correct size wrench. Do you guys know how I can know the size of the bolt to buy the correct size wrench?

Thanks guys, I feel like I'm learning a lot.

Edit: found out how, thanks for your help guys :cheers:

Which bolt do you mean. The rear spindle bolt? Measure the distance apart of two opposite flats on the nut, ie the AF of the nut. Very often it's 21, 24 or 27mm depending on the size of the spindle. If it's a smaller nut size, buy a full set of spanners, wrenches are American.

Sorry this is my first bike, I've only ridden for 2 months so bare with my lack of knowledge :roll:

Keep asking, I'm a relative noob too and this sort of post helps me get my head around all this.

In my CBT the whole chain tension thing was mentioned but it's not like they really went into it in any detail. I've had to watch a fair number of videos to get my head around it all.

Which bolt do you mean. The rear spindle bolt? Measure the distance apart of two opposite flats on the nut, ie the AF of the nut. Very often it's 21, 24 or 27mm depending on the size of the spindle. If it's a smaller nut size, buy a full set of spanners, wrenches are American.

Should I buy a torque wrench with spanner sockets or a set of spanner considering they are fairly similary priced?