yamaha srx 400

skyrider

Hi have any of you guys had a Yamaha srx 400 or had any reports about them as im thinking of getting one this year thanks :)

They stopped making these donkey's years ago didn't they ? Or have they re-released it like the SR400 ? Unless you have found one at silly money or you have a particular desire to own one I wouldn't bother. An old grey import with only 33bhp just doesn't sound very appealing.

But they look great, they're from the correct decade and they have two carbs despite having 1 cylinder so I can only applaud this man's good taste!

A bit about the 400 version in this

Plenty about the 600 version here

Kickstart too, you'll basically be Steve McQueen :mrgreen:

well the reason im thinking about an srx is because as Snod Blatter has said they do look well with the underslung short silencer, the oil cooler and the fact that they are light which is what I need because of my arthritis in my shoulders so its either one of those or a modern supermoto which would be ok but wouldn't have the classic look :|

Have you seen this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-Yamaha-SRX400-Unregistered-Japanese-Import-Classic-Restoration-Project/312434733090?hash=item48be8fb022:g:4EIAAOSw0YlcQv9I

And on the 400 version you get an electric foot so makes life a bit easier.

Personally I think they look brilliant.

Thanks for the link old-codger I have just had a look at it and I have to say that the more I look at them the more im drawn to them I have noticed that most of them seem to be in grey/silver colour but I don't mind that, the thing im thinking at the moment is if a mag like classic mechanics does an article on them and then their popularity will rocket and so will the price of them :damn: :

If I remember right the 400s will be japan imports but they are higher specced and had electric starters but the 600 are Europe bikes but are kick start only. They have quite a following and are thin on the ground now, have a look for a forum or a single cylinder forum im sure ive seen a group somewhere. Not sure how the riding position will effect your arthritis try to get a sit on one. Other bikes to consider are the Honda xbr 400/500 and my favorite the Suzuki Goose 350 but they are rare over here.

Thanks for the link old-codger I have just had a look at it and I have to say that the more I look at them the more im drawn to them I have noticed that most of them seem to be in grey/silver colour but I don't mind that, the thing im thinking at the moment is if a mag like classic mechanics does an article on them and then their popularity will rocket and so will the price of them :damn: :

A few years ago one of the bike mags - Classic Bike Guide I think, did an article on the SRX 600 and really rated it. Likening it to a modern Gold Star replacement ???

At the time I was looking for one and as you quite rightly say the perceived values shot up, from £1200 for a clean original bike to around the £2000 mark. Apparently the early twin shock ones are the most desirable and fetch the best prices, and I have seen restored ones advertised for £3000 +

The article did mention the 400cc version but said they were underpowered but other than that the same bike, just not worth as much and less desirable.

They did warn though, that apart from the engine, parts were difficult to source, especially bodywork and original exhausts were like hens teeth.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks M620 for the photos im going to have to pull myself together and get one of those in my man cave to keep the serow company a great looking bike and probably not too hefty on the insurance either :)

Yes for sure, already booked on the June one. Thinking I will take my old R65 but it’s in France at the moment - will have to get it back befor the Brexit s*it kicks in 🇬🇧, otherwise it could well the SRX yet

Edited by M620

Just looked on eBay and found 2, both on two wheel spares site. They appear to like them and have a few used spares as well. Thought about putting a 600 motor in a 400 but cost wise I don’t think it would be worth the trouble.

Interesting - wouldn’t disagree but only had the older XT 500 & XT 550, and “ to be honest” the 500 seemed the better engine, so maybe the smaller capacity SRX wouldn’t be that bad after all 👍, might have a look at it at the weekend if it’s still there.

• 2 months later...

anyone seen the burgundy 600 on fleabay at the moment its just missing the alloy rims and spoked wheels, I will have to save up harder :cry:

Makes it so much sweeter when you do finally get the dosh together and become the proud owner of the bike of your dreams.....well worth the wait..... :thumb: