....Another characteristic of the "traditional" motorcycling community....... a group of people to whom the word "waterproof" is merely aspirational....... they are slso familiar with "controls that fall readily to hand", and terms such as "light pedal assistance"......

Craven will make you whatever you want and aren’t the ridiculous prices of some.... :D

Just as a matter of interest, did you get a quote (or ballpark figure) on a frame/rack and pannier system?

I would bet they ain't as cheap as they were.....FWIW, I've got a (I think the term is "sexually intercoursed") Craven top-box in my shed that is full of old electrical bits. Best place for it.

Lol

I haven’t. I want the toy, so I get the toy then discover the pannier disaster, I’ve been a practical person my entire life, time for caution to wind and enjoy the consequences... after negotiating a sensible bike price of course!

Sensible bike price hmmm is that where they won't budge and you buy it anyway, life is too short to be too sensible all the time.

Where there's a will there's a way, and failing that, bodge it with soft panniers and dozens of bungee cords. My KLX was never designed to take any more luggage than the tool bag, didn't stop me going camping with it a few times!

• 5 months later...

Waited for the January sales as advised and have just bought a tent.

Went for Robens 4ex. Camping world have an extra 15% off everything today so all in it was £212 which is a saving of £150, I do like a bargain.

Nearly went for the voyager 3ex but this one has only a fractionally bigger footprint (30cm width wise), is only 200 grams more but slightly smaller pack size (the 3 is 54 X 21, the 4ex is 51 X 22) it was also less expensive.

I was impressed with the blurb and the reviews for the Robens, they seem like good value. I like the wind testing I watched on YouTube, the level of waterproofing (hydrostatic head of 5000mm), the desirable touches like alloy poles that are held together with the string thing, colour coding, guy rope retainers, two doors with mesh nets and a big porch. When I looked at their accessories they also look well thought out which is reassuring.

A 4 man for two people might seem a tad excessive but as the weight, footprint and pack size are good I’m happy.

Things that were very apparent from my first foray back in August were I wanted a porch area for storing stuff and that stepping directly in n out of the sleeping area into rain is annoying and muddy.

The main problem though was just how bloomin hot it was in the tent, I woke up every morning quite desiccated so a tent with good ventilation was a priority, I’m hoping the extra space in the tent will also allow for better airflow.

Thanks for all the advice. I’ve come back to this thread a few times to make notes of the recommendations and without it I wouldn’t have had a clue.

https://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/Robens-Voyager-4EX-Trail-Tent-2018/m-19213.aspx

We're mad for it a small problem of work gets in our way. But last year we completed what got to be our best tour - camping holiday ever Norway, from door to door 3,200 miles in 2 weeks.

l hardly ever go alone as my partner loves camping too. Top tips make sure your tent and camping gear will keep you dry warm and comfortable. So good solid tent that will stand up to the elements easy to put up and pack away light enough to go onto the back of the bike without making it to wide a load. I'm a big fan of the Kyham tents the biker an ideal unit, me as lm getting on a bit like to have some hight and room to get dress and move about, we have the Kyham Freelander. plenty of space for our gear has kept us warm and dry in some really testing times. An airbed a must for me as a) it so comfy and b) offers a massive thermal break from the cold ground. Sleeping bags go for a 3 to 4 season minimum nothing worse than trying to sleep whilst cold. Everything else is luxuries if your bike can carry it you can the go for the pots pans cookers and chairs you feel you might be able to fit on. Have to say there's some fantastic gear out there now and certainly no need to be cold, wet or uncomfortable. shop wisely and enjoy. Me being gadget mad we have usb power point all over the bike under the seat in the top box so our phones and a battery pack all can be charges whilst on the run. A few pic's of our trip to Norway

483334165_CampingNorway.jpg.56bc486586932d8341a0fad7dc479012.jpg

1854201525_Norwayroads1.jpg.648a7fef5b4b9431b671b9716c97b639.jpg

436477857_BusainNorway.jpg.cf2ae9bc7dd9457ba52a90412e6396d6.jpg

1198358247_NorwayTunnelroundabout.jpg.e535f3d7774ba4efcac8bf6108f9bd4b.jpg

185116121_Camp2.jpg.638ce6b2d36bbe1e00641d30ec1021ca.jpg

180689939_NorwayCamp2.jpg.14df41d2dd1f4046264588a08fcb69c3.jpg

[mention]Chrissb6[/mention] What lovely pics. Looks devine, I’m a huge fan of verdant greenery. Before seeing those I wouldn’t have even considered Norway as a destination, when I think of Norway I just think ‘cold’

I’ve gone from having no charging points on my bike to having 4 and I can’t say I’ve ever used more than 2!

That trailer looks like it requires some handling?!

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

@Slowlycatchymonkey don't be put off places you think may be cold, Scotland is great 1 afternoon in August, it's just picking the right 1, Iceland is amazing also.

When I worked in Russia, where all our kit had to be rated to -40, it always amused me that, when I told locals I was from Scotland, their first comment was " cold ! " :shock:

Now that I have retired I can sunbathe in my back garden and finish up with a good tan ! :D

(Summer only of course !)

Fook camping , hotel all day long for me .

You really are a conundrum. Hardy in attitude but too soft for camping :lol:

I can't see the fun in sleeping rough for a week ..... and yes I used to watch countdown when Carol Vorderman was on it .

@Chrissb6 What lovely pics. Looks devine, I’m a huge fan of verdant greenery. Before seeing those I wouldn’t have even considered Norway as a destination, when I think of Norway I just think ‘cold’

I’ve gone from having no charging points on my bike to having 4 and I can’t say I’ve ever used more than 2!

That trailer looks like it requires some handling?!

[mention]Chrissb6[/mention]

Norway is just stunning, we were so lucky, it was the hottest May in a 100yrs 27c+ most days with mountain passes with snow still at the side of the road, it was also out of season so we had the roads to ourselves take note, at peak times its campervan mayhem. Riding 2 up with camping gear is not easy on any bike hence the trailer which performed brilliantly from the German Auto Bahn to the mountain passes all ticked off. The roads are awesome the passes are not for novices or the faint hearted but so rewarding. and before you start to ask is it expensive not as bad as we thought it was going to be. If you like to drink then yes, we brought a big bottle of JD on the way out, cooked on the campsite most of the time daylight till midnight just crazy, had snacks at the filling stations which helped us on our way. Would l recommend it you bet, the downside there's no direct ferry to Norway so it's a long ride up through Holland, Germany, and Denmark then another crossing to get there.

And another thing , how can you enjoy riding your bike through lovely twisty roads towing an oversized shopping trolley :roll:

We covered 540miles in a day, try doing that 2 up also carrying camping gear for a 2 weeks hols total 2,300miles in 2 weeks

1848622522_TrollpassNorway.jpg.f0c4502bde86f22ac1f2d15ebb4d9fe7.jpg

And another thing , how can you enjoy riding your bike through lovely twisty roads towing an oversized shopping trolley :roll:

We covered 540miles in a day, try doing that 2 up also carrying camping gear for a 2 weeks hols total 2,300miles in 2 weeks

I wouldn't be carrying camping gear