Smart home

Via

Well went another step further today and now have a smart car.

Picked up an echo input and hooked it up to media interface, also have a mobile broadband hot spot in car and hooked it up to that...

20190129_111033.thumb.jpg.5ab3734bd26cf93a016900db8b3d3b8a.jpg

Not sure if I'll keep it or not yet, works fine but takes ~30secs to connect after ignition turned on and turns straight off when ignition turned off (media stays power until key removed). Plus while I've got a USB lead and a 3.5 lead (which echo uses) I can only plug one in at a time so would need to switch leads to swap between the 2.

May be handy for longer journeys though where I tend to run out of things to listen to :lol:

Wonder if hue sell headlight bulbs :wink:

Well went another step further today and now have a smart car.

Picked up an echo input and hooked it up to media interface, also have a mobile broadband hot spot in car and hooked it up to that...

20190129_111033.jpg

Not sure if I'll keep it or not yet, works fine but takes ~30secs to connect after ignition turned on and turns straight off when ignition turned off (media stays power until key removed). Plus while I've got a USB lead and a 3.5 lead (which echo uses) I can only plug one in at a time so would need to switch leads to swap between the 2.

May be handy for longer journeys though where I tend to run out of things to listen to :lol:

Wonder if hue sell headlight bulbs :wink:

God I’m out of touch. I’m pushing it to say I understood 20% of this post :oops:

I've got a nest thermostat and Amazon echo in the kitchen. Bought my mum an Amazon echo so I can video call her really easily.

The nest thermostat is a nice bit of kit. It's wakes up when it detects movement and shows the current weather outside and I can control the heating from my phone and track usage. Easy to wire in too if you're comfortable taking the cover off your central heating boiler.

I second the nest, as I have one and it's great.

I thought it was cheeky they wanted £45 to wire it in. Only took 10 minutes as it was only 2 wires :lol:

I've got a nest thermostat and Amazon echo in the kitchen. Bought my mum an Amazon echo so I can video call her really easily.

The nest thermostat is a nice bit of kit. It's wakes up when it detects movement and shows the current weather outside and I can control the heating from my phone and track usage. Easy to wire in too if you're comfortable taking the cover off your central heating boiler.

I second the nest, as I have one and it's great.

I thought it was cheeky they wanted £45 to wire it in. Only took 10 minutes as it was only 2 wires :lol:

Yeah it was dead easy to wire in but I reckon most people are scared of taking the panels off their combi boiler!

I've got mine on the wall in my hallway. There's a coat cupboard the otherside of the wall which also houses my router and network switch so it was easy to drill through the wall to get the usb power to the wall mounted dial.

I never did get around to painting the wall behind!! Lol

SmartSelect_20190130-163022_Photos.thumb.jpg.de6f6e12b34decc10384a59e6999b115.jpgSmartSelect_20190130-163036_Photos.thumb.jpg.5284c7876fb179f288cf208d145aeaa7.jpgSmartSelect_20190130-163013_Photos.thumb.jpg.1f42dd9880826e5aa79b319b248fa39d.jpg

God I’m out of touch. I’m pushing it to say I understood 20% of this post :oops:

I'm trying to be lazy and just want to tell my car what music to play rather than waste energy pressing buttons :lol:

Now that I understand :D

Trying to relive being in hospital and having someone answer my every beck and call :lol: but Alexa still won't make me a cup of coffee :(

I’d say that’s a massive fail- if the choice was between someone making the tea or switching the lights on n off the formers the winner every time. Damn I’ll even manually control my own heating if someone else makes the tea.

I had one in the 90’s when I was a student nurse :thumb:

The shifts started early and there were no breaks or time to drink tea. You got 20mins for lunch max so if you didn’t have to queue for the kettle you could have one then :roll:

Sleep was the priority so there wasn’t time to wait for a cup of tea to cool down in the morning before you started...unless someone made if for you, enter the reliable trusty and highly loveable teasmade.

Still not allowed to drink tea or coffee on the ward now, apparently it’s a cross infection risk :roll:

Nice drink of plastics tasting water out of a mini sized disposable cup anyone?

Still not allowed to drink tea or coffee on the ward now, apparently it’s a cross infection risk :roll:

Nice drink of plastics tasting water out of a mini sized disposable cup anyone?

But patients can drink tea and coffee :scratch:

I never tended to wander about with a mug of tea, no-one did there just wasn’t time (usually tea was consumed cold in between pts) but if I had of wandered around I certainly wouldn’t have shared my drink with a patient.

From a cross infection point of view it’s the patient who’s at greatest risk accepting a cup of tea from germy hospital staff!

I found it insulting, you weren’t allowed off the ward to have a break or have a drink at your desk- other than water because somehow some liquids are a cross infection risks and others arent :roll:

I could perform all sorts of procedures on pts requiring strict aseptic technique and make pts a cup of tea but wasn’t trusted with a cup of tea for myself!

But then we are talking about a trust that removed the toilet seats....

You can understand how a person would form a long and loving relationship with a the kind and iconic teasmade :D

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

Absolutely ridiculous, can understand it's not practical at times certainly wouldn't want nurse sipping a cup of tea as they were stabbing me in stomach each night but you lot work so damn hard why shouldn't to be allowed to have a nice cuppa during the odd time you're not making them for everyone else!

Have to say hospital coffee wasn't the nicest tasting but getting one after coming round from surgery from the cheerful nurses was the nicest one I've ever had!

Absolutely ridiculous, can understand it's not practical at times certainly wouldn't want nurse sipping a cup of tea as they were stabbing me in stomach each night but you lot work so damn hard why shouldn't to be allowed to have a nice cuppa during the odd time you're not making them for everyone else!

Have to say hospital coffee wasn't the nicest tasting but getting one after coming round from surgery from the cheerful nurses was the nicest one I've ever had!

On a night shift I once had a cup of Hospital coffee. I’m not sure it is coffee. If someone said it was oxtail I wouldn’t have questioned it!

On a night shift I once had a cup of Hospital coffee. I’m not sure it is coffee. If someone said it was oxtail I wouldn’t have questioned it!

At home I always have decent coffee and extremely picky, but also being emergency services I understand importance of caffeine and when needed anything will do and as long as it is warm and wet sometimes that's all that is needed :lol: