Brake bleed problem

Moonraker

Hello :)

Very kindly received advice about bleeding brakes recently and I finally got time to do it today but I have encountered a problem.....

20190203_171241.thumb.jpg.b68f3597aba325384f59cd7354987ba1.jpg

20190203_171303.thumb.jpg.59bbe6699f1e9b35866ef66c7e891d51.jpg

The front brakes have been done, not a problem but the pictures are of the rear .... that valve (nut thing) I'm meant to turn is not moving and I'm now just rounding off the edges.

Any tool or tips that will help me move this back and forth as per the requirement? I'm sceptical about pliers!

Thanks again!!!!

Stop!!!

Think carefully about this as if its not moving then its more than likely seized and just trying anything may end up with a snapped bleed nipple (its name by the way) A snapped bleed nipple can be a nightmare to get out.

I would first start by soaking it in some release agent of some sort over a few weeks and try a bit of heat before probably knocking a smaller old socket on it

Before you go any further , order a new one preferably a good quality after market stainless steel version . You're almost certainty going to render this thing useless before it comes out . I would drench it in penetrating fluid overnight and then try applying some localised heat to it with a mini gas torch before trying to ease it out . A ring spanner isn't going to work so you can try re filing some flats on it or gripping it as firmly as you dare in a small Mole Grip . The trouble is these nipples are hollow and quite likely to snap clean off . If this happens then you would be best to take the calliper to an engineer to extract it . You can buy an Easyout set but personally I've never had a lot of luck with these . I did get a snapped one out once by having someone drip weld onto it to form a key . Not one to name drop but that someone was a young Andy Carlisle who has since gone on to greater things at the Nurburgring .

Thank you [mention]Stu[/mention] and [mention]fastbob[/mention]. I'll soak it for a while and then give it another go!

Have a friend who's a car mechanic, might be worth seeing if he has any tools laying around that might help!

And order some bleed nipple covers as well !

I do have the cover, I had taken it off :D

Sorry, of course you would have done . Anyway here's the Bleed Nipple . https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/sv_650_sk3/03/picture/bleed_nipple_-_rear_-_stainless_steel

Edited by fastbob

And order some bleed nipple covers as well !

I do have the cover, I had taken it off :D

Sorry, of course you would have done . Anyway here's the Bleed Nipple . https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/sv_650_sk3/03/picture/bleed_nipple_-_front_-_stainless_steel

With thanks, one and all

Hi [mention]markhibberd5[/mention] , check but I think the rear bleed nipple on the SV is M8 x 1.25, the link Fastbob sent was for the Front, which are smaller, I think they are M6 x 1.

But check before ordering, I use my Local Motorcar discount store, they normally keep in stock and are a bit cheaper.

And try using this stuff from Eurocarparts Normfest Super Crack Ultra 400ml

Product Code: NOR28944421 to get bolts out. Need to spray a lot but really does work.

Hi @markhibberd5 , check but I think the rear bleed nipple on the SV is M8 x 1.25, the link Fastbob sent was for the Front, which are smaller, I think they are M6 x 1.

But check before ordering, I use my Local Motorcar discount store, they normally keep in stock and are a bit cheaper.

Well spotted sir , correction made.

if it goes tits up

Nipple Therapy

I looked at that when I broke a bleed nipple. Unfortunately was not suitable for my callipers as the new thread was too big for the material where the bleed nipple sits. So check carefully if you go this route. It is really designed for car callipers.

I ended up getting a replacement callipers.

^^^^^^

Often called a Birmingham screwdriver

Council screwdriver up here, small amount of localised heat on the nipped and cool a couple of times, and I mean localised I use the kitchen blow touch which has tiny but hot flame, cold wet cloth around it, tap on slightly smaller hex socket, work in both directions until it moves or snaps, good luck.

If it does snap, remove drill out to edge of threads and re tap, might be time to buy some new tools

And sometimes a cockney kiss :P

No it isn't, a Cockney Kiss is a head butt.

I thought a head butt was a Geordie Kiss :? :?

Could be as well.

wp_ss_20190204_0005.thumb.png.d53c05414ca9d3682861b90f81e3940c.png