Tips on keeping your visor clean

Good morning all,

Riding home from work last night I noticed that my visor was filthy and any attempt to clear it with my glove just made it worse, so I ended up riding all the way home with the visor up which gave me a very cold face. Undesirable.

Apart from regular cleaning with soapy suds, is there anything else I can do to help keep my visor clear?

fairy liquid or furniture polish to buff your visor with helps rain and dirt bead off easier. You can also get things that fit on your glove finger to clean your visor, or buy gloves with intergrated wipers on, Or you can fit something to your bars to use to wipe your visor clean.

Furniture polish? I'd never have expected that as a suggestion. I do like the idea of a finger squeegee but I need new cold weather gloves anyway to stop my fingers going numb so may look for some with an integrated squeegee.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Be careful with furniture polish. There's allegedly a likelihood of it making the plastic brittle which leads to it breaking into shards on impact.

I bought a visorcat. Havent used it yet but most reviews I've seen are positive. Not the cheapest option at ove £30 but you could try and find somewhere to stuff a damp sponge (depending on your bike/dash) and use that.

A damp sponge on the dash might be a good idea and I have plenty of space to stash it too. Thanks for that.

It's a good idea, I use a food pot velcroed to the bars with a sponge in it for a quick wipe at traffic lights :thumb:

Remember anything like a damp sponge is going to be exposed to the same grit and grime your f

Gloves are and you can end up scratching the hell out of your visor without realising.

Place sponge in a sealable bag and wash it through after use ..Yes means a few stops on a long journey or DONT travel so close to car in front .

Get a better screen or a deflection shield

I don't think there's a really good solution to a ganky visor. The visorcat looks a bit... humongous.

I don't know about anyone else but my bars don't really offer a place for a tub with a sponge - not that I'd fancy fannying about with that on the go. As for fitting a big screen... On a Ninja? :-)

The visorcat does look a bit mental, I was imagining something like a teeny tiny squeegee on your index finger.

I ride a Transalp and have a pretty decent sized screen to hide stuff behind out of the elements so a sponge in a small tub might just work out nicely.

I favour a bit of kitchen towel or blue roll and some water. It does means stopping but if your visors clean before you start it amounts to maybe stopping once in hours when you’ll likely be stopping anyway. Kitchen towel folded into 4 takes up no space and there’s always water at garages etc.

Wet the towel, lay it on the visor wait a minute or two and wipe it off.

Being tissue it’s versatile so it works for all sorts of other tissue related needs!

I don't think there's a really good solution to a ganky visor. The visorcat looks a bit... humongous.

I don't know about anyone else but my bars don't really offer a place for a tub with a sponge - not that I'd fancy fannying about with that on the go. As for fitting a big screen... On a Ninja? :-)

double bubble or powerbronze lipped .. deflects a lot more than standard

Visors are bloody expensive to say the least, heavy rain, not a problem just turn your head to one side and another to keep it clear, but when the rain has stopped and the roads are throwing up crud there are not many options but to stop and clean without actually trashing your visor, l would sooner stop and give it a good clean, l carry a muck off visor clean kit it comes with a microfiber cloth, nothing worse than not being able to see where your going or a scratch visor.

Visors are bloody expensive to say the least, heavy rain, not a problem just turn your head to one side and another to keep it clear, but when the rain has stopped and the roads are throwing up crud there are not many options but to stop and clean without actually trashing your visor, l would sooner stop and give it a good clean, l carry a muck off visor clean kit it comes with a microfiber cloth, nothing worse than not being able to see where your going or a scratch visor.

Tell me about it. £70 for a spare visor for a Schubert which I'm keeping for better weather. Meanwhile using my other lid which although a less good helmet seems less prone to scratching.

Turns out there's a handy gap between the top of the instrument panel and the screen where I can tuck a cloth for visor wiping. My only concern was the wind lifting it out but even though it was pretty blustery this morning it didn't move.

I declare that a result! Thanks for all your suggestions.

2019-02-06_08-40-51_968.thumb.jpeg.9246d080e95606e90717eaa179f18155.jpeg

I had this problem bad yesterday: wet, salty roads, combined with the lightest drizzle meant that it was like looking through out-of-focus glasses for 70 miles. It was made worse I couldn't locate my bottle of the Nikwax stuff before I left. Worse still came when I set off again at night. By then, road spray on the headlamp had evaporated with the heat from the bulb, leaving a thick skim of salt over the lens, making the lamp about as effective as a small family of glow worms.

Oh flip yea, riding home last night was the most unpleasant journey I've had on a Motorbike yet (I've only been riding a few weeks so not as dramatic as it sounds). I only have a 15 mile commute but by 5 miles in my visor was covered in road spray and it was cold, raining, sleeting, and windy as fook. I could only stick wind driven sleet to the face at under 25mph so had to navigate the blur for a good bit of the time. Most unpleasant.

The cloth went on the bike this morning so hopefully I'll be able to clear the crud at regular intervals from now on.

I’ve used the V2 Sponge for years. Small enough to go under your seat or even in your inside pocket.

They last a good while before they get too flat from use.

Usually a season or two.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/212517?r=GS&gclid=CjwKCAiAqOriBRAfEiwAEb9oXbvaLJHkPpm0dDCTCijRD31cWwiJW1kmGJPqP6z2nLzQIo4rw2sBrRoCi_gQAvD_BwE