Honda SS125

Got my fabricated stainless downpipes today made by my soon to be step grandson,Thanks Josh. :cheers:

They just need a slight tweak to the angle they meet the engine

Jammy fcuker .. wish I’d got relatives that were that useful

Instead of a permanent drain in my time !!

Go on , fire it up just as it is , I bet you're tempted . To my eye they look like they perhaps need a tweak on the second bend .

Go on , fire it up just as it is , I bet you're tempted . To my eye they look like they perhaps need a tweak on the second bend .

Haha, yes temptation did get the better of me. :twisted:

Ran it the other week with open ports, just popped and farted not very loud at all.

Started yesterday with the downpipes and it was f-in loud :thumb:

Yes both pipes need a slight adjustment, will have to cut and shut from the stub out the head and mate up to the silencers, about 4 degrees on RH,9 degrees on LH

My man who made them says they can't be put back in the bending machine now they are all welded up

I used to run an MZ TS 125 with just a short piece of down pipe off a Honda that I found in a ditch . In theory, being a two stroke, it shouldn't have run at all but what a lovely racket ! I don't think the normal laws of mechanics apply to MZ's .

a few years ago someone gave me an mz simpson 50 and it was in a mess the flakey rust in the tank must have been about a quarter of an inch thick, anyway I ended up giving it to a guy who was into mz's and he said he was going to do it up, I never heard from him again so how he got on with it is anybody's guess :scratch:

a few years ago someone gave me an mz simpson 50 and it was in a mess the flakey rust in the tank must have been about a quarter of an inch thick, anyway I ended up giving it to a guy who was into mz's and he said he was going to do it up, I never heard from him again so how he got on with it is anybody's guess :scratch:

Weirdly enough, I painted mine matt black and rode it into the ground. I sold it to an old chap for £20 but I did see mine again . It was totally restored in an immaculate orange paint scheme. The guy had spent hundreds of hours and quite a bit of cash and I think he had done it purely for the love of restoring a bike .

CB exhausts arrived today,offered one up to the bike, looks like they will work and not too dissimilar to the original style.

Fitted new screws to the rear light lens and ordered a black and silver number plate.

20190205_194910-1651x1238.thumb.jpg.14ba936e031204334f25d7eb3fd7a72a.jpg

Is that with the downpipes shown previously or is this a complete unit ? Looks really nice. In fact I think it looks much better than the original which I believe had an ugly vertical seam all around the silencer .

Is that with the downpipes shown previously or is this a complete unit ? Looks really nice. In fact I think it looks much better than the original which I believe had an ugly vertical seam all around the silencer .

No I just laid the whole new exhaust on top of the fabricated downpipe,the CB downpipe is way too long so the plan is to cut the silencer off and sleeve the two together.

Know what you mean on the seamed type,not pretty.

Got my new plate today, looks the biz :thumb:

KV is a Coventry area code,.

1145838509_2019-02-0619_11_50.thumb.jpg.224e99e769ca3ad1fbe0d67ba6d6a8de.jpg

Number plate fitted this morning.

Started making exhaust brackets, the old ones are not the right shape and badly rusted anyway.

The shape they need to be is a bit too complicated to form in the 1.5mm thick plate so I thought I'd have a go with thinner sheets and weld 3 pieces together,

Used a spare piece of Cavalier rear arch repair panel as a template, will get some stainless sheet for the real thing.

20190209_132529-1238x1651.thumb.jpg.d389483545b21a2c1e86769a38f930b8.jpg

20190209_132541-1238x1651.thumb.jpg.fcc639cd6a72c24fedd348478222d780.jpg

Started work on the brackets today, cut two of the sheets and bent into place.

Got to bite the bullet and cut up the new CB exhausts next.

My spokes finally arrived in stock yesterday, as promised the dealer contacted me to say they were in.

Don't you just love good customer service. :cheers:

Six sheets of stainless arrived today to make the exhaust hangers.

Each sheet is 0.7mm so thin enough to bend but weld 3 of them together should make a strong enough bracket.

An unusual approach, why not just use a single piece of thick mild steel and then chrome it or even a good piece of ally ? You've obviously thought this out but I'm just curious to know how you arrived at this method.

Six sheets of stainless arrived today to make the exhaust hangers.

Each sheet is 0.7mm so thin enough to bend but weld 3 of them together should make a strong enough bracket.

An unusual approach, why not just use a single piece of thick mild steel and then chrome it or even a good piece of ally ? You've obviously thought this out but I'm just curious to know how you arrived at this method.

The bracket has two bends in it and I felt this would be difficult to achieve at home in anything thicker.

Also folding a small return on it to add stiffness would be tricky.

Got both brackets cut and folded, LH side was much simpler, just need a bit more trimming and welding up and good to go.

Both downpipes had to be cut near the head and bent up and now all lines up nicely.

Need to fire up the mig welder and tack all in place and return to my fabricator.

Managed to pick up a spare engine for the Honda off ebay for £51 :thumb:

It's got the all important chrome points cover and a bonus rear brake pedal, mines ok but not mint.

Outbid the other buyer in the last couple of seconds by £1.51

There's an ebay tip, never bid in round numbers. :wink:

20190302_161452-1651x1238.thumb.jpg.08de57cfbc1ecddc9979962d8c9f468b.jpg

20190302_161443-1651x1238.thumb.jpg.8dea6cecd7f09cfa32750a68a07481c2.jpg

It's beautiful mate ! A magical transformation. Did the gnomes play any part in this ?

Haha , having watched the film Gnomeo and Juliet with grandson #1 who knows what they get up to.

I bought some "flingoes" as a surprise for him and OH; he loves them, OH doesnt : :D

20190303_114014_crop_614x614-245x245.jpg.cbee34488b75b4f7d53065e629ae9e66.jpg