High beam in daylight

learningtofly

Had a couple of SMIDSY's in the past week or so, luckily without any contact resulting. However, it's made me realise that even in fine conditions I'm vulnerable; consequently, I'm contemplating running on high beam during the day unless it's particularly dull/murky

What's the view on here, as a matter of interest?

Piss car drivers off and they are more likely to do everything possible to stop you filtering and such!

Not only that you risk a fine for incorrect use of lights

I'm not sure I agree with your prediction of driver responses, but noted re potential plod input.

Edited by learningtofly

Might be worth considering why people don't see you from a scientific viewpoint - if certain drivers don't see you as is I'm not convinced a high beam will make a difference

https://scienceofbeingseen.wordpress.com/

Yes, read that before... fascinating stuff.

Piss car drivers off and they are more likely to do everything possible to stop you filtering and such!

Not only that you risk a fine for incorrect use of lights

I'm not sure I agree with your prediction of driver responses, but noted re potential plod input.

this is what people do! you piss them off they try to piss you off!

I see it all the time not just in driving

people are ar*eholes :lol:

Riding on high beam can alter speed perception and hide other bikes around you so not a good idea. No matter what you do some drivers won't see you so take that into account in your riding habits.

Extra light down low to make a triangle of light can help. Yellow or amber colour can help. A gentle weaving can also draw you drivers' attention. I used to have a VanVan and on them the headlight always vibrates, I never had a SMIDSY moment on that bike. I reckon a bright LED on a flexible mount so it can vibrates a bit could be worth trying.

Also look at your riding gear. I've found quite a difference between gear in terms of how it either catches attention or blends into the scenery.

Riding on high beam can alter speed perception and hide other bikes around you so not a good idea. No matter what you do some drivers won't see you so take that into account in your riding habits.

Extra light down low to make a triangle of light can help. Yellow or amber colour can help. A gentle weaving can also draw you drivers' attention. I used to have a VanVan and on them the headlight always vibrates, I never had a SMIDSY moment on that bike. I reckon a bright LED on a flexible mount so it can vibrates a bit could be worth trying.

Also look at your riding gear. I've found quite a difference between gear in terms of how it either catches attention or blends into the scenery.

Mg gear is all black, to be fair, and so is my bike :scratch:

I hate bikes riding with high beam on during the day and have had the odd heated discussion about said subject with said idiots, one sat there and said no mate its just bright error no its not I can see the f**king switch and light.

It can dazzle and could potentially cause an accident, low and wide driving lights, look at your own gear, if your concerned about your safety then make yourself visible, high vis helmet, jacket with flashes etc, all black won't look cool laying under a car.

Mg gear is all black, to be fair, and so is my bike :scratch:

I would consider a brighter helmet as that is the highest point and in traffic, the most visible part of you.

..... running on high beam during the day unless it's particularly dull/murky

What's the view on here, as a matter of interest?

My view ? You shouldn't run on high beam. I hate it when car drivers dazzle me with their ultra-bright HID lights and I think that bikes on high beam cause just as much dazzle.

As others have said, try DRLs to create a triangle of light and get yourself a fluorescent crash helmet. Then, ride in a manner which will create maximum visibility by speed, positioning and movement. And remember you'll always be invisible to some people no matter what you do.

All been said really. I've had a couple of near misses as well, once on the bike safe course whilst being followed by a police motorcycle :shock: . Best you can do is weave a bit and make yourself more visible. But if cars pull out in front of fire engines with all the blues and twos going what chance do we have?

which is worse... high beam or Fog Lights in daylight?

I mention this because on my Africa Twins front bars are holes ready for a light fitment on either side, plus a power supply hidden behind the fairing and a blank space for a switch. And when these are switched on you get a warning on the instrument panel. Fog Lights fitted are I think about £500 probably more. Horrendously expensive (in my view)

There is a thread on the AT forum about auxiliary lights and for a few this means DRLs. But for most.. and a lot of Brits, its about these Honda Fog lights. or sometimes cheaper/different ones from Denali in particular.

I see no point whatsoever in fitting Fog lights to my bike.. we get fog maybe 2 or 3 times a year and it seems a hell of a lot of money to be spending on something Im just not going to use. I seem to have caused a bit of a row by asking if: "fog is a particular problem where you live?" in answer to one fella considering adding fogs. I was quite surprised when he.. and numerous others came back with.. they will be on all the time.

I have DRLs on the GS.. which are carefully aimed to match the aim of the dip. they help fill out the space that the dip illuminates and I guess are a help in being seen. I want something similar on the AT. but not, definitely not Fog lights. Its something Ive never been able to understand about "Adventure" bikes and riders.... this addiction to fog lights and having them on all the time. Fog lights on cars always irritate me.. as do drivers who fail to turn them off at night when im coming the other way. Why do some riders think these are not just attractive to have but are actually essential upgrades? Beats me every time.

I never use the high beam on my bike aside from the usual, at night with no oncoming traffic - out of town.

Interesting and very consistent views, guys, thank you. I'm aware that in certain states in the US, daytime use of high beams is accepted as normal and is specifically allowed for within their equivalent of the Highway Code. I still think it might be worth experimentation, to be honest, but I'll give it some more thought and will await any further contributions to this thread (ta).

Interesting and very consistent views, guys, thank you. I'm aware that in certain states in the US, daytime use of high beams is accepted as normal and is specifically allowed for within their equivalent of the Highway Code. I still think it might be worth experimentation, to be honest, but I'll give it some more thought and will await any further contributions to this thread (ta).

Are you riding in the states?

Are you riding in the states?

:D

Rule 114 from Highway Code:

You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders

use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).

You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders

use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).

Haha... a mere technicality :booty:

When I wear my bright orange jacket to ride my pushbike it seems that even more zombies than ever step in front of me . It's not people's vision you need to worry about , it's the shit rattling around inside their heads . There's nothing you can do about that so ride accordingly.

When I wear my bright orange jacket to ride my pushbike it seems that even more zombies than ever step in front of me . It's not people's vision you need to worry about , it's the shit rattling around inside their heads . There's nothing you can do about that so ride accordingly.

Agreed, Bob. I do like to enjoy the bike's capabilities, but I alo know when I need to be riding defensively (hence the near misses I mentioned being no more than that).

You MUST NOT

I didn't waste my time posting that in the already mentioned thread. most drivers and riders are well aware of it and act in a courteous manner. but as with any rule in the highway code there are more than a few who don't think it applies to them. having fog lights/high beam on in the daytime.. no problem at all especially if there are no repercussions.