Nob of the Day.......

Tango

When I was at uni, for a few years I lived a few doors down from a guy who owned a Lexus. Parked it on his drive. But hated anyone parking on the road outside his house. He'd come out of the house, saying "could you not park there please". No idea why, it's not like he had a steady stream of visitors. Maybe he just loved the view of the house opposite.

This morning I filtered back into stationary traffic five cars back from a roundabout, and had one of those drivers who gets ridiculously hurt about it. Lexus driver. Attempted to make love to my left leg all the way up to the roundabout, then was clearly itching to undercut me as we both went left.

And it got me thinking.

I've never met a Lexus driver (on the road or personally) who doesn't have a massive chip on their shoulder.

Is it because they have aspirations of owning a premium car, and the budget premium is as good as they could get?

I'm a reasonable chap so I'm sure there are some good Lexus owners out there... has anyone ever met them? Does anyone here own one and know that they are a good person?

The machine that built my car.

Nasty knock from the rear left developed last week. Sounded weird and wasn't a bushing/brake issue.

Pulled the lot apart and it was a top mount on the rear suspension, a bolt was just loose. Pulled it out and you could see a patchy failed smear of blue loctite on it, so obviously the machine ran out on that particular bolt. And 3 years of use shook it loose.

All tightened back up and fine now. Checked the other side, which had a liberal dose on it.

Pain in the arse :lol:

The complete nob who packed my order of 4x62mm (MR011) Ramair foam pod filters for my Trophy project .... 3 fitted and looking good, 4th one wouldn’t fit ... it a smaller filter, an MR008 - gutted, I’ve just had to go through the rigmarole of having a correctly sized one shipped out and then soon there will be the faff of returning the incorrect 1.

I was very excited when the parcel arrived, that was all spoiled coz some erk couldn’t be arsed to check that they’d selected the right parts.

B63B8103-D9D8-470E-867C-D73D928E0B47.thumb.jpeg.a3a64983588d57683c2b9c147b09face.jpeg

Driving today towing a trailer when I saw a BMW dealership ahead. Being wary of the kind of numpties that drive such things I moved out a bit and slowed down.

Good job I did because just as I drew level with the entrance two mechanics in huge black BMW shot out into the road without even looking. Fortunately I was to stop with a couple of inches to spare, but if hadn't pre-empted an avoidance strategy I wouldn't have had a chance.

It pays to expect the worst!

Whoever gave this advice on Facebook :roll:

Of course it is correct. At the red line the high inertia of the pistons will put more load onto the con rods which will cause them to stretch and so the top of the piston will go higher up the bore.

Also the valves will stop them going too high.

:roll:

Whoever gave this advice on Facebook :roll:

Of course it is correct. At the red line the high inertia of the pistons will put more load onto the con rods which will cause them to stretch and so the top of the piston will go higher up the bore.

Also the valves will stop them going too high.

:roll:

So that's what the valve springs are for? To absorb the piston to valve contact. Well, you live and learn. I don't rev my car engines to the limit so next time I have the head off I can leave the springs out. That will save a shed load of hassle.

When I was at uni, for a few years I lived a few doors down from a guy who owned a Lexus. Parked it on his drive. But hated anyone parking on the road outside his house. He'd come out of the house, saying "could you not park there please". No idea why, it's not like he had a steady stream of visitors. Maybe he just loved the view of the house opposite.

This morning I filtered back into stationary traffic five cars back from a roundabout, and had one of those drivers who gets ridiculously hurt about it. Lexus driver. Attempted to make love to my left leg all the way up to the roundabout, then was clearly itching to undercut me as we both went left.

And it got me thinking.

I've never met a Lexus driver (on the road or personally) who doesn't have a massive chip on their shoulder.

Is it because they have aspirations of owning a premium car, and the budget premium is as good as they could get?

I'm a reasonable chap so I'm sure there are some good Lexus owners out there... has anyone ever met them? Does anyone here own one and know that they are a good person?

I have to admit my wife's car is a Lexus and the one before was a BMW and the one before that a Volvo. So far as I know she is a good person and definitely has no horns, tail or cloven hooves. Her only pet hate vehicle wise is Nissan Micras and she does get grumpy with cyclists who slow her down. She rarely drives in Bath. :twisted:

And it got me thinking.

I have to admit my wife's car is a Lexus and the one before was a BMW and the one before that a Volvo. So far as I know she is a good person and definitely has no horns, tail or cloven hooves. Her only pet hate vehicle wise is Nissan Micras and she does get grumpy with cyclists who slow her down. She rarely drives in Bath. :twisted:

Oh I wouldn't slow her down. I passed 2 miles of stationary traffic to get to work today.

That was a good day for the car drivers, usually it's just over four miles :lol:

And it got me thinking.

Oh I wouldn't slow her down. I passed 2 miles of stationary traffic to get to work today.

That was a good day for the car drivers, usually it's just over four miles :lol:

Reminds me of this [mention]S-Westerly[/mention] :thumb:

">

"I know, she's 'sposed to come through at ten after four"

And it got me thinking.

That's exactly why we tend to park at Landsdown Park and Ride and take the bus in and walk a lot. So much less aggravation. :D

I come in from the south but don't believe the north is much better. Or the east. Or the west. Bath is a small city in a bowl that has zero ability to cope with the amount of people that want to drive in, but the same people will resist any attempt to reduce traffic. I couldn't be a politician here because I'd just lose my rag at people. Loads of my colleagues drive in past the three P&Rs, sit for ages in traffic, pay through the nose for parking and still moan that it's other cars that's the problem. Ho hum.

I've cycled up to Lansdown more than once. It's fun :lol:

Whoever glued every electrical socket, light switch, tv aerial port and telephone socket to the walls in the house we are moving into. Why? They're held on with two screws - no need to glue them to the wall.

Our flat is full of stuff like that. Every time you come to do a simple job you have to factor in several hours to correct the stupidity of past people.

Ah crap, nearly forgot this one.

The guy on a green motorbike with a carrier bag swinging from his right wrist :shock:

I had some spare rok straps in my bag and was nearly tempted to catch up with him and offer to lend him them on trust that he'd give them back. But I didn't want to get too close as I didn't want to be the one to run him over (and then probably come off myself too)

Every single driver this morning who doesn't realise:

1. If they have day time running lights it doesn't illuminate the rear lights of their vehicle
  2. If they have automatic lights and they are set to 'auto' then in foggy conditions the lights are actually unlikely to turn on at all
  3. Driving a white or grey car does not automatically confer you with mythical status in fog, just because you blend in with your lights off like you're a cloaked Klingon destroyer it doesn't actually make your car invincible, and you are not a Klingon Warrior

TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON IN FOG.

I thank you. Qapla!