Carrying a knife.

Slowlycatchymonkey

Checked the legal blade length in the UK (its 3” or 7.62mm) so Ive ordered one with a 7cm blade.

I used to carry a larger knife all the time when we were farming and because it was for a purpose it was legal.

What I want to know is- is it still legal to carry a longer blade length if the knife is being carried for a purpose?

Not unless it's for use in your trade. I. E. A butcher, but even then if stopped by the police it could be justified if you were taking from home to work and vice versa. However if you had it with you on way to somewhere else it would be hard to justify. Another lawful excuse would be 'officer I just found it and was on route to the police station to hand it in'. In short not worth it, you would most likely be locked up if stopped by the police and questions asked afterwards on Interview.

My dad was a bugger for taking his pen knife out with him. It was less than 3 inches but a locking knife so an offensive weapon per se. Just stick to a 3inch folding blade

I carry a knife, but never on my person. It's kept with and as part of my puncture repair kit. It's a multitool and is generally used for its pliers for pulling out objects from the tyre as well as being used as part of the repair. The knife is also used during the repair process. I never would... I have no reason to, carry a knife in my pocket or on my person on the bike. I don't worry about the law, what I do worry about is having something like this on me, in an off. Even if the blade is protected the handle could do me serious damage.

[mention]Fleck[/mention] I think as [mention]MikeHorton[/mention] says the locking part makes it illegal regardless of blade length.

I carry often a ‘My First Opinel’ in my bag to use at lunch time because it is quite possibly the most inoffensive knife ever made-

58FBD4E4-D74A-491B-AFE0-08AEAA30A7DB.thumb.jpeg.bfda23d75ac5d827e1f2b21665c471aa.jpeg

Perhaps a multi tool would be a wiser choice for the bike, I don’t intend on carrying it on my person but in the bikes seat hump.

I don’t fancy falling foul of whatever arse decided to prosecute this guy, a warning should have been plenty!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7593039/Disabled-caravanner-given-criminal-record-for-penknife-in-car.html

Stupid nanny state going after the wrong people for easy convictions as always.

I've got a leatherman multi tool in the door pocket of my car. I guess I'll be having a holiday at her majesty's expense if the cops find that!!

I don't carry it with me, it lives in the cutlery draw at home and in the motorhome. The standard quickslide is smaller and has a belt clip on for carrying, I use that at work.

Incidentally I heard some people wear snickers so they can get away with carrying knives :shock:

I think if I remember this correctly (although it was a long time ago so I couldn’t swear to it) the policeman was mentoring a novice, they stopped him on suspicion of drink driving (he was under the legal limit) and it was the pensioner who gave permission for them to search the car so the officer could show the newbie the ropes which is when they came across the Swiss army knife. Kind of makes it worse that he gave permission. There was no ‘probable cause’ to search a car.

I don't carry it with me, it lives in the cutlery draw at home and in the motorhome. The standard quickslide is smaller and has a belt clip on for carrying, I use that at work.

Incidentally I heard some people wear snickers so they can get away with carrying knives :shock:

What are snickers and how do you wear them? :D

D2868643-CDEE-479C-AFF8-CC51C07C47B4.thumb.jpeg.5e8c85619a73e5a6a5347f2905f374c5.jpeg

It's still legal to carry a knife with good reason. Only legal everyday carry is sub 3" non locking folder. If i'm off wild camping or doing bushcrafty stuff I'll take a large fixed blade (one I've made myself) and an axe. If I'm off hedgelaying I'll take knife axe and billhook. The likelihood of being stopped and searched is minimal I would suggest. Never been stopped in London and often have tools on me for work, used to have a letter from my employer explaining I taught bushcraft and as such needed to transport knives etc. Just in case.

The good reason is the difficult bit as it's subjective.

It's still legal to carry a knife with good reason. Only legal everyday carry is sub 3" non locking folder. If i'm off wild camping or doing bushcrafty stuff I'll take a large fixed blade (one I've made myself) and an axe. If I'm off hedgelaying I'll take knife axe and billhook. The likelihood of being stopped and searched is minimal I would suggest. Never been stopped in London and often have tools on me for work, used to have a letter from my employer explaining I taught bushcraft and as such needed to transport knives etc. Just in case.

The good reason is the difficult bit as it's subjective.

Dressed in overalls, wellies and splattered in cow shit meant I never gave a second thought to carrying a larger knife. Not fancying that outfit for riding about though :lol:

I've got a leatherman multi tool in the door pocket of my car. I guess I'll be having a holiday at her majesty's expense if the cops find that!!

Should be OK with a leatherman I don't think it's a locking blade. Good multitools!

I think if I remember this correctly (although it was a long time ago so I couldn’t swear to it) the policeman was mentoring a novice, they stopped him on suspicion of drink driving (he was under the legal limit) and it was the pensioner who gave permission for them to search the car so the officer could show the newbie the ropes which is when they came across the Swiss army knife. Kind of makes it worse that he gave permission. There was no ‘probable cause’ to search a car.

That's why they did away with consentual searches it was a fishing trip for the police. They have to have the grounds now

Should be OK with a leatherman I don't think it's a locking blade. Good multitools!

If it's anything like mine, a leatherman 'wave' the blade is razor sharp and has a catch that click-locks when it's fully open, press a button and it can be folded back into its case.

What are snickers and how do you wear them? :D

D2868643-CDEE-479C-AFF8-CC51C07C47B4.jpeg

Really expensive work britchers with lots of pockets

Screenshot_20190213-122439_Gallery.thumb.jpg.942350ff272f94ad45e7cfbd5fad7535.jpg

Leatherman wave. It has a locking blade and a locking saw.

I'm going down for life!! Haha

I know you’re not concerned about it but is the click lock bit legal?

Technically no (unless good reason etc...)

I always used to carry leatherman in car as very handy tool but now lives indoors. Understand the needs of knife laws with culture nowadays but don't think any scrotey yoof have ever stabbed anyone with a multi tool.

Leatherman wave. It has a locking blade and a locking saw.

I'm going down for life!! Haha

Mine also had a locking file :lol: in fact everything locks even the little screwdriver and bottle opener :twisted:

I carry a filleting knife (7” blade) in my sea fishing tackle box.

Mind you the Police could do me for carrying it without just cause .... could have stayed in the packet for all the use it’s had!!

Not really sure on this but I carry a Divers knife in my kit when I go diving, it travels in my gear bag in the back of the car, I can do this legally because its classed as a tool, probably be frowned upon however if I walk down the high street with it strapped to my leg :D

Not really sure on this but I carry a Divers knife in my kit when I go diving, it travels in my gear bag in the back of the car, I can do this legally because its classed as a tool, probably be frowned upon however if I walk down the high street with it strapped to my leg :D

This is the main point, all really depends on when, where, why, etc... Stanley knives lock so even though smaller than 3" need a reason, see workmen carrying them around fine but if you've got one in a pub saying but I need it for work won't fly.