Carrying a knife.

Slowlycatchymonkey

Carry a 2.75’ Bahco folding knife with me everywhere I go, best tool there is.

It’s had so much use it’s only good for cutting cello tape and the point is all bent from lifting hatches, opening things etc so you’d do well to do any damage with it

Not really sure on this but I carry a Divers knife in my kit when I go diving, it travels in my gear bag in the back of the car, I can do this legally because its classed as a tool, probably be frowned upon however if I walk down the high street with it strapped to my leg :D

This is the main point, all really depends on when, where, why, etc... Stanley knives lock so even though smaller than 3" need a reason, see workmen carrying them around fine but if you've got one in a pub saying but I need it for work won't fly.

My Stanley knife doesn't lock, it's completely non adjustable, Stanley blades crimp nicely into 15mm copper pipe if you flatten the end till you can slide it in, then hammer it to hold it in place.

Never thought about it but I have knives all over my Van

Back when I was a young en worked for a printing company, back before scanning became affordable so we would have logos etc... Printed and have to literally cut and paste them onto designs to make plates for so always had scalpels on me as were only thing that could cut perfectly and not leave any telltale edge lines on plates.

Did have a mate who decided to borrow one to cut out a wart on this thumb in the pub though, to be fair to him he done it and it never grew back :lol: that blade got binned though.

@Fleck I think as @MikeHorton says the locking part makes it illegal regardless of blade length.

I carry often a ‘My First Opinel’ in my bag to use at lunch time because it is quite possibly the most inoffensive knife ever made-

58FBD4E4-D74A-491B-AFE0-08AEAA30A7DB.jpeg

Perhaps a multi tool would be a wiser choice for the bike, I don’t intend on carrying it on my person but in the bikes seat hump.

I don’t fancy falling foul of whatever arse decided to prosecute this guy, a warning should have been plenty!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7593039/Disabled-caravanner-given-criminal-record-for-penknife-in-car.html

This is insane. You can still buy Swiss Army knives so HTF can they be illegal? If you try and stab someone you'd probably slice your fingers off as they don't lock and fold.too easily. I've been carrying a pocket knife since I was 8 years old when my granda have me one. Don't even think about it but did lose one at an airport when I'd forgotten I had it in my pocket. I have knives for sailing, fishing, Leatherman for general use and a few handmade blades.which are just nice to look at. Usual gov't nanny state and using sledge hammer to crack a nut.

Don't agree with it but couldn't have been normal Swiss army knife, anything less than 3 inches and non locking is totally legal to carry and you don't need any reason, it's only when it don't meet those specs then you need a reason.

Trouble with leathermans etc... Becoming more popular but made in a country that don't see locking blades as a dangerous weapon rather as common sense that you don't want blade folding into your finger when using.

Absolutely ridiculous though, could understand him being arrested by over eager probationer but fact it got through custody and gate keeper and went to court to be found guilty is a joke, surely one person in that chain should have had a bit of common sense.

Talking of knives we have this in Hull at the moment!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4136772/Sculpture-angel-crafted-thousands-knives.html

Its pretty cool to be honest!

That’s brilliant. Talented guy.

I see it most days as its in our city centre but not actually been to have a proper look at it!

The thing is huge! I wouldn't mind a few pics of it before it disappears

Don't agree with it but couldn't have been normal Swiss army knife, anything less than 3 inches and non locking is totally legal to carry and you don't need any reason, it's only when it don't meet those specs then you need a reason.

Trouble with leathermans etc... Becoming more popular but made in a country that don't see locking blades as a dangerous weapon rather as common sense that you don't want blade folding into your finger when using.

Absolutely ridiculous though, could understand him being arrested by over eager probationer but fact it got through custody and gate keeper and went to court to be found guilty is a joke, surely one person in that chain should have had a bit of common sense.

He said it was the knife he used for cutting up fruit for his wife who has huntingdons disease. I can’t imagine a small knife would be great for that. Maybe I’ll stick with another opinel.

Talking of knives we have this in Hull at the moment!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4136772/Sculpture-angel-crafted-thousands-knives.html

Its pretty cool to be honest!

I see it most days as its in our city centre but not actually been to have a proper look at it!

Worth wandering over for a gander.

Bit hard when I am always driving a bus past it :lol:

Wont be a minute people I just want a snap :lol:

Should be fine to take a snap! I was once the only passenger on a bus, it was around 9 at night and the driver asked If I minded if he could just quickly nip into the shop for a chocolate bar as he had been driving all day with no break :shock:

Edited by Tiggie

Do it, leave em all on the bus and take a flask of tea (and some biscuits obv) wander over have a nice sit down :lol:

Do it, leave em all on the bus and take a flask of tea (and some biscuits obv) wander over have a nice sit down :lol:

I might just go on my day off so I can save my job :lol:

I've often wondered where I would stand with the law when I go on my motorcycle camping tours of Scotland with a very sharp eight inch kitchen knife in my soft luggage. I use it for preparing food and gutting the fish that I catch but technically I'm still in possession of a bladed weapon .

I've often wondered where I would stand with the law when I go on my motorcycle camping tours of Scotland with a very sharp eight inch kitchen knife in my soft luggage. I use it for preparing food and gutting the fish that I catch but technically I'm still in possession of a bladed weapon .

I often wonder the same.. about my peg mallet. and the box of matches. cafetiere and petrol in the fuel tank.. just a little Heath Robinsonesque ingenuity and voila.. i could be out to cause a riot. with occasional pauses in the mayhem for a nice cup of Lavazza. (and a hob nob - plain, obviously)

I knew this would happen.

I often wonder the same.. about my peg mallet. and the box of matches. cafetiere and petrol in the fuel tank.. just a little Heath Robinsonesque ingenuity and voila.. i could be out to cause a riot. with occasional pauses in the mayhem for a nice cup of Lavazza. (and a hob nob - plain, obviously)

I knew this would happen.

Should I have a hazard warning sticker on display when I'm carrying my butane gas cylinder ? 😏🔥💥

Back in the dim and distant past when I used to go camping, one of these was my multitool. Perfect for opening sealed things, levering stuck things, stirring hot things and stabbing hostile things. It could even be used as a screwdriver. :thumb:

IMG_1576.JPG.59a55bc0cc9a32a97a25ce09012a17b1.JPG

When I was a lad, growing up in the new forest me and my mates always carried knives, catapults, and occasionally air riffles. It was the norm for kids to have knives for sharpening sticks, cutting rope etc.

One day we were out in the woods and saw a guy in an old classic car broken down by the side of the road, so we wandered over to take a look at the car. The owner explained he had a split water hose and needed to cut the split end off. He asked if any of us had a knife.. we all reached for our knives at the same time. He was very pleased to be confronted with a bunch of teenagers holding a selection of 6inch Rambo knives!!

Oh how times have changed...