Theory passed, CBT runs out in a couple of months. DAS ?

Here you go [mention]Paulpen[/mention]

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/motorcycle-riding-test-data-by-test-centre

The stats shows a higher pass rate at Bristol, but as [mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention] says there's not much in it at all. Both are higher than the national average.

1656933268_Annotation2019-02-14090938.thumb.jpg.b9fdf7b7367918fc7ad46a23b3c7e467.jpg

927542039_Annotation2019-02-14090916.thumb.jpg.9afbee0fc8704a304b85acbcca49f94f.jpg

Didnt think such official data would be public although in relaity it does not mean alot due to various testers, instructors, conditions and pupils.

Interesting reading too - any data on the Taunton site as my laptop and phone cant open the .ods file type :oops:

Didnt think such official data would be public although in relaity it does not mean alot due to various testers, instructors, conditions and pupils.

Interesting reading too - any data on the Taunton site as my laptop and phone cant open the .ods file type :oops:

You’ll have to appeal to [mention]SometimesSansEngine[/mention] I did all my wading about for those stats a while ago.

It’s possible you’re overthinking this a little. Perhaps a when it’s all weighed up the tiny differences in pass rates should allow you to dismiss it and take it down the road where it’s convenient :thumb:

Here's Taunton.

163063266_Annotation2019-02-15115132.thumb.jpg.e0019b6008784292d806a40d79cd2bd5.jpg

I agree with [mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention]. All these locations have similar pass rates that's higher than the national average so I wouldn't over think it. Instead go with the bike school that you have the best feeling about and head to their usual test centre. See below. All three there are significantly higher than the ones that are a 50/50 if you pass or not.

961067365_Annotation2019-02-15120205.jpg.6eefeb0b9d9e3d6af383466c4c8b5ec9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Booked the DAS in Exeter for the start of April :shock:

Was planning on going with Taunton but couldnt get through to them on the phone for a week to put the deposit down so rung Exeter and had a really nice chat so booked there and then :D

Is there anything I should be doing or praticing this month on my 125 that will help me when it comes to the DAS ?

Read the following:

Roadcraft - The Police Riders Handbook

The Highway Code - and know it

And

Practice riding your bike as much as possible in a wide variety of conditions on roads that are new to you.

Practice slow manoeuvres

If you read Roadcraft, ignore everything it says on line selection whilst cornering.

If you haven't before, check out the DAS-releated content on these two youtube channels:

RJH Motorcycle Training - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiHVOZpzEyMTiCU0JNU9f0A

Roadcraft Nottingham - https://www.youtube.com/user/RoadcraftNottingham

If you read Roadcraft, ignore everything it says on line selection whilst cornering....

You don't get off that easily..........go on, tell us why.........

It’s a very long time since I did my test but I can’t believe the examiner wouldn’t expect you to use a variety of road positions to maximise your view of the road ahead especially in bends.

But everything.....?

Maybe I did choose quite a blunt word. But a DVSA examiner will not expect to see you moving around nearside to offside in the manner you may be encouraged to do so when doing an advanced course. I'm not talking about naturally moving around your lane, but what may be referred to as "position 1" for a right hander and "position 5" for a left hander.

On a test if you're near the centre line when a truck comes past it's entirely possible you'll get a fault for it.

If in doubt though, ask your instructor. They'll know what the local examiner is looking for.

If you really get bored, you can even read the guidance on marking the test

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/guidance-for-driving-examiners-carrying-out-driving-tests-dt1/02-the-motorcycle-test (item 2.20 covers positioning)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/guidance-for-driving-examiners-carrying-out-driving-tests-dt1/annex-6-guide-to-assessment-and-marking (positioning is item 23, suggest you don't let your head go over the centre line when cornering....)

But everything.....?

Maybe I did choose quite a blunt word. But a DVSA examiner will not expect to see you moving around nearside to offside in the manner you may be encouraged to do so when doing an advanced course. I'm not talking about naturally moving around your lane, but what may be referred to as "position 1" for a right hander and "position 5" for a left hander.

On a test if you're near the centre line when a truck comes past it's entirely possible you'll get a fault for it.

If in doubt though, ask your instructor. They'll know what the local examiner is looking for.

....There's a discussion here....we can visit that next week!

Interestingly (as you make reference to it above), when I was instructing for ROSPA, what I used to advise was: Out of the 5 lane positions, 1 was prone to gravel, potholes, general road shite and animals running out. So don't use it. 2 was OK - kept clean by car tyres. 3 will be oily/greasy so treat with care. 4 again OK. 5 too near oncoming traffic and corner cutters so stay away unless you can see well ahead that the road is clear. "Offsiding" - ie. taking the "racing line", "straightening bends" etc. - is no longer endorsed. So for general use, it's 2 & 4. You are making use of the carriageway available to you without exposing yourself to undue risk.

Following on from this, you are dead right about being near the centre line if a truck comes the other way. Expand that to include anything coming the other way and you won't go far wrong. Roadcraft tells us to use the available width of road - but not in a way that implies risk. This implies that we should be looking out for oncoming traffic and not being near it when it arrives.

Totally agree with your point re. asking the instructor - they will know what's what.

Edited by Anonymous

None of that is contrary to what is in Roadcraft. Of course you should move over if a lorry is approaching, you must retain your protective bubble at all times pursuant to road conditions and your safety.

But everything.....?

....There's a discussion here....we can visit that next week!

Interestingly (as you make reference to it above), when I was instructing for ROSPA, what I used to advise was: Out of the 5 lane positions, 1 was prone to gravel, potholes, general road shite and animals running out. So don't use it. 2 was OK - kept clean by car tyres. 3 will be oily/greasy so treat with care. 4 again OK. 5 too near oncoming traffic and corner cutters so stay away unless you can see well ahead that the road is clear. "Offsiding" - ie. taking the "racing line", "straightening bends" etc. - is no longer endorsed. So for general use, it's 2 & 4. You are making use of the carriageway available to you without exposing yourself to undue risk.

Following on from this, you are dead right about being near the centre line if a truck comes the other way. Expand that to include anything coming the other way and you won't go far wrong. Roadcraft tells us to use the available width of road - but not in a way that implies risk. This implies that we should be looking out for oncoming traffic and not being near it when it arrives.

Totally agree with your point re. asking the instructor - they will know what's what.

:stupid: Yes probably written too bluntly by me like I said but this was the gist of what I was getting at. The thing is [mention]mikestrivens[/mention] I know you say none of it is contrary to what is in roadcraft but I'd say someone learning to ride a big bike ready for the test can perfectly adequately handle all the corners using the middle portion of the road, without zipping across to the offside whilst simultaneously wondering if it is safe to do so. Just my two cents.

I'd say someone learning to ride a big bike ready for the test can perfectly adequately handle all the corners using the middle portion of the road, without zipping across to the offside whilst simultaneously wondering if it is safe to do so. Just my two cents.

.......and there is the key to it all. You should NOT do ANYTHING that you do not KNOW to be safe. "Wondering if".........is not good enough. If there is any doubt......there is no doubt. So don't do it. Simple.

Top info guys :thumb:

Ive ordered the Roadcraft book :D

Id been through alot of the RJH videos but didnt know the nottingham one :!:

At risk of bombarding you with videos to watch when you should be out practicing, there are a couple of US channels that have very good training videos on:

MCRider and MotoJitsu

• 1 month later...

To finish this thread up ive been doing the DAS this week (Sunday - Friday) and finally passed today :mrgreen: .

Having done my CBT elsewhere and been riding for a year I thought that id not be far off the pace but it seems that the CBT I had was not everything it should be !

Spent the first 3 days (Sun, Mon, Tue) on the 125cc riding the roads of Exeter (where ive never been before) and getting the CBT and MOD1 manouvers dialed in and was pretty confident.

Wednesday was a bad day and I seemed to go backwards once I got on the 650cc - the road riding was fine but the slalom, figure 8 and U turns were terrible. The guy I was with that day seemed to have a negative attitude to me and not alot of patience and I was ready to jack it in that afternoon and call it all off.

Came in Thursday with the idea of if it goes the same way im going home but had a different guy (older, calmer, had more confidence in me etc) and even though I wasnt perfect it was just the U turns to sort out by the end of the day.

Then comes this morning - still cant do them at the training centre and I suggest calling the MOD1 off but the guy says he has confidence in me etc so we give it a go on a nice wet and windy morning and passed with one minor :shock:

Then had the MOD2 this afternoon which I was more confiet with until it hammered down with rain all afternoon, I discovered my waterproofs leaked and my visor kept steaming up. Add to that the traffic went insane as the schools holidays are here now and was all set for disaster. Had a couple of minors (one following a learner in a car for too long that kept changing speed on the dual carriageway and one for indicating late coming off said carriageway) but other than that all good.

Massive thanks to the guys and girls at Triumph in Exeter, Tony the examiner as he was actually down to earth and all you guys on here - ive not posted alot but have certainly done alot of reading :!:

Time to get the L plates off and get back to commuting while wondering what to do about a bigger set of wheels :idea:

Im not yet sure how I feel yet in all honesty - had wobbly legs and felt sick after MOD1, was overexcited and exhausted after MOD2 and currently dont think it has sunk in so will all come to me tomorrow I expect !

Big thanks for all your posts and messages about the books, channels, advice etc - if im coming up your way ill let you know as I owe you lunch and a drink or if you are down this way let me know :cheers: