Advice on Paint

Mickly

Ok, so I know that this isn’t the time of year ( temperature wise ) to be painting bike bits in an unheated shed.

So I’ve tried heating the rattle can up in front of a halogen heater and heating the part to be painted with a hot air stripping gun before painting....

However after 3 days the paint is still soft enough to be scratched with a fingernail.

Will heating it up in an oven get it to set hard or is it a case of start over and do it again when it’s a bit warmer?

Will take a lot longer to cure when cold so give it a lot of time, made mistake of rushing when I did ER5 rebuild with tank and ended up taking a massive lump of paint off with a decal which ended up loads more work for the sake of waiting a few more days.

Seen these paint on your drive type people curing paint with heat gun before but would be a very fine line between curing and destroying paint.

Also for future found best way to heat a rattle can is to put in a bucket of hot water for a few minutes before painting.

Just a note if you paint some thing and the temp changes in the room from say the 1st part you painted to the last it will look different .as it happened to me . I rattle caned tank .side panels. Back cowel.. Then did the front mud guard and all the others are one shade apart from the mud guard ..

Boil a kettle get a plastic jug .fill 3/4 boiling water then rest hot water from tap then put the rattle can in jug . For 30 secs the take out shake can put back in just another 30 secs take out shake do that for 5 mins that way the paint with be hit and it will go on thinner more coats.. less time to dry in between coats as paint it thinner .

But to dry it hard room need to be warm ..

re heating cans in boiling water ...

look at bottom of cans .some have pressure release bungs which if internal pressure exceeds x amount this bung releases and becomes a missile emmiting a stream of paint .

Look on the can and see what it says about maximum temp .Use hot water tap water

if you over excite the paint with heat it starts to cure in the can and loses its ability to cling and colour state .

look at bottom of cans .some have pressure release bungs which if internal pressure exceeds x amount this bung releases and becomes a missile emmiting a stream of paint .

Look on the can and see what it says about maximum temp .Use hot water tap water

if you over excite the paint with heat it starts to cure in the can and loses its ability to cling and colour state .

Could be a quick way of painting though, aim bung at object you want to paint then heat can with blow torch until painted :thumb:

I used to restore classic cars in an unheated garage. Paintwork was always a problem and I tried all sorts of heaters to get things going. Nothing really worked until I tried one of those cheap halogen style heaters that glow bright orange. That worked brilliantly. The heater warms the bodywork rather than the air and I was to spray entire panels in mid winter that way.

Could be a quick way of painting though, aim bung at object you want to paint then heat can with blow torch until painted :thumb:

You seen del boy paint tin stick a dynamite wee bang all room painted . LoL

You taken the can out shaking it stopped it getting biking hot to go bang . .

You seen del boy paint tin stick a dynamite wee bang all room painted . LoL

You taken the can out shaking it stopped it getting biking hot to go bang . .

Not the brightest move - adding more energy to already hot can by giving it a shake. Not one for me thanks.

Oh, and it was Mr Bean by the way, not Derek.