Itching to get out.

Fleck

My cut off for commuting is when it is not pitch dark in the mornings and the evenings when I leave. This week has finally seen not complete darkness at 5pm, so tomorrow may be a bike day :D

Why? Are your headlights torches from the £ shop or something? :thumb:

No, but filtering or simply being around loads of cars,vans, trucks and buses in darkness people are less likely to notice me as a bike.

I'd rather spend a few months commuting by car than be stopped from riding bikes for the rest of my life as some driver squished me cause they simply thought I was a car that was further away...

My cut off for commuting is when it is not pitch dark in the mornings and the evenings when I leave. This week has finally seen not complete darkness at 5pm, so tomorrow may be a bike day :D

No, but filtering or simply being around loads of cars,vans, trucks and buses in darkness people are less likely to notice me as a bike.

I'd rather spend a few months commuting by car than be stopped from riding bikes for the rest of my life as some driver squished me cause they simply thought I was a car that was further away...

Just gotta adapt your riding style but fair enough your choice

So you got a riding style then?

See the thing with all new riders is that they are not experienced enough to see the potential dangers.

Riding a motorcycle is about managing risk. If youre too inexperienced to be aware of all the risks then you cant manage them properly and will blindly ride into situations that an experienced riders would avoid.

Pretty clear from that comment that youre still an eager newbie riding about blisfully unaware of many of the dangers... So maybe instead of patronising experienced riders you could try to learn from them so you don't become another new biker road accident statistic...

I assume this newbiker has just found God mode ;-) :roll:

Is there one with sleep mode too?

Yes, you just get a bike with cruise control.

More a power nap than a sleep mind.

Cruise control is one of those things I'm a bit ambivalent about. Even on motorway rides I am constantly adjusting the throttle and on the whole I don't do great deal of motorway riding anyway. On the other hand cruise control might help protect my license. More than once when I've been stuck behind traffic in lane 3 I've gone for a quick overtake as soon as I could then glanced down at the speedo and found myself doing a licence losing speed. :shock:

I use cruise control on the bike, and even more in the car.

In urban areas it helps prevent unintentional speeding and on dual carriageways and motorways it allows me to sit at the absolute maximum I think will not lead to a conversation with the courts (great for use in average speed camera areas).

Of course it can't be set and forget for the length of a motorway, but it does allow periods when hands and shoulders can be moved and relaxed - very useful on long trips.

It took me ages to get used to cruise control in the car. Now at work we play a game of "How far along the A90 can you get before you need to cancel your cruise control" :lol:

I'm not sure how I would feel about having it on a bike.Feels a bit out of control I find :|

It took me ages to get used to cruise control in the car. Now at work we play a game of "How far along the A90 can you get before you need to cancel your cruise control" :lol:

I'm not sure how I would feel about having it on a bike.Feels a bit out of control I find :|

On the car I use cruise control really only in average speed checked areas unless I am driving in the wee hours on empty roads. In any kind of traffic I hate it. On the bike for the kind of riding I prefer there really is no need for it.

So you got a riding style then?

I assume this newbiker has just found God mode ;-) :roll:

Lol. I knew I should have bought a bike with more modes, god mode sounds great, Is there one with sleep mode too?

More aware, assume everyone will try to kill you at junctions etc

[mention]newbiker90[/mention] I feel the need to try and intervene before you get yourself a hiding but if I mention biscuits again so soon I’m likely to get a pasting myself so urrr ummmm.......

I’m thinking that Arwen and the other experienced guys here already have hyper tuned in senses when it comes to cars and junction etc and that perhaps what they are saying is in their experience of riding at these times they’ve noted a marked increase in SMIDSY behaviour so therefore there’s an increased risk when riding- no matter how good you are or what style you adopt.

As I’m someone who has only been riding a bit under two years when experienced folk share their observations I think oh right I’ll do that or if I’m not taking their advice I’ll be looking out to see if what they say is true...... generally it is.

newbiker90 I feel the need to try and intervene before you get yourself a hiding but if I mention biscuits again so soon I’m likely to get a pasting myself so urrr ummmm.......

I’m thinking that Arwen and the other experienced guys here already have hyper tuned in senses when it comes to cars and junction etc and that perhaps what they are saying is in their experience of riding at these times they’ve noted a marked increase in SMIDSY behaviour so therefore there’s an increased risk when riding- no matter how good you are or what style you adopt.

As I’m someone who has only been riding a bit under two years when experienced folk share their observations I think oh right I’ll do that or if I’m not taking their advice I’ll be looking out to see if what they say is true...... generally it is.

In short

Stop teaching a granny to suck eggs :mrgreen:

ps in no way am I implying slowly is a granny or arwen!!!

newbiker90 I feel the need to try and intervene before you get yourself a hiding but if I mention biscuits again so soon I’m likely to get a pasting myself so urrr ummmm.......

In short

Partial to a boiled egg with a bit of salad cream. Granny though... good god not yet!

Got out myself yesterday for my first run since the end of September. Wasn't intending to tax the Z until April but with the 3 other bikes at various stages of restoration I had no choice.

18 years I've been at it and every year I still have the mild panic attack just before I set off thinking "what if I've forgotten how to ride a bike?" :lol:

Should be sorted from now on though as the 250 will be my commuter in all weathers (bar snow) so will not be having the winter off in future.

In short

Partial to a boiled egg with a bit of salad cream. Granny though... good god not yet!

and its even better with the rest of the salad :)