The British-Irish Dialect Quiz

I confused the poor thing. I was born in St Albans but moved to the west country at 2 but my family is from Liverpool and everywhere else thanks to the RAF so my vocabulary has ended up a bit of a mish mash.

Screenshot_20190215_230627_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.ce24a796697175d1b39b2a30abd7b35e.jpg

I confused the poor thing. I was born in St Albans but moved to the west country at 2 but my family is from Liverpool and everywhere else thanks to the RAF so my vocabulary has ended up a bit of a mish mash.

Which is also why my wife, who I have now known for over half of my life, has just admitted to me that she never had a dap bag for PE

I DON'T KNOW WHO SHE IS ANYMORE :cry: :crybaby: :cry: :crybaby:

Which is also why my wife, who I have now known for over half of my life, has just admitted to me that she never had a dap bag for PE

And we now know who the intelligent one in that relationship is :lol:

Personally I just had a PE bag which contained my PE kit and plimsoles.

Dap bag is what you call someone who offends you when children are in earshot.

And we now know who the intelligent one in that relationship is :lol:

Personally I just had a PE bag which contained my PE kit and plimsoles.

Dap bag is what you call someone who offends you when children are in earshot.

Nope a dap bag is a small drawstring bag containing only your daps (and sometimes a t-shirt/vest. Perhaps is was just a West Country poverty thing to do PE in your pants and a vest?! No-one had PE kit til junior school :shock:

Nope a dap bag is a small drawstring bag containing only your daps (and sometimes a t-shirt/vest. Perhaps is was just a West Country poverty thing to do PE in your pants and a vest?! No-one had PE kit til junior school :shock:

I had a dap bag in Gloucester. Never worked out if Gloucester counts as West Country, south midlands. Or what. Pe in infants was definitely pants and vest and Daps. I grew up calling them daps, plimpsoles and pumps.

Nope a dap bag is a small drawstring bag containing only your daps ..... I grew up calling them daps, plimpsoles and pumps.

Daps ?? Sannies up here when I was school age (or sand shoes if you were posh).

And we were too poor to have draw string bags. Everything for school went in the old gas mask bag (from WW2). :D

Nope a dap bag is a small drawstring bag containing only your daps ..... I grew up calling them daps, plimpsoles and pumps.

Daps ?? Sannies up here when I was school age (or sand shoes if you were posh).

And we were too poor to have draw string bags. Everything for school went in the old gas mask bag (from WW2). :D

What is this fascination with calling objects names of bread related objects?

Sannies are what you eat at lunch time.

I had a PE kit that contained my daps and I must confess I only knew them as daps as when we lived in Basingstoke and I worked for monsoon l got very confused by a lady asking if we sold plimsoles and I showed her some white lace ups only to be told "no the black ones kids wear in PE". Why you'd buy daps in monsoon is beyond me but there we go.

I thought dabs were small flat fish

I think a dab is also a small quantity of chemical recreational drugs.

You’re quite right, imagine that, primary school children asked to get their dap bags and coming back with a little drawstring bag of powder. Bet they’d do gym faster :lol:

I had a dap bag in Gloucester. Never worked out if Gloucester counts as West Country, south midlands. Or what. Pe in infants was definitely pants and vest and Daps. I grew up calling them daps, plimpsoles and pumps.

Judging by the "Gloucester" calls coming from 'The Shed' at Kingsholm, I'd say it's West Country :thumb:

Judging by the "Gloucester" calls coming from 'The Shed' at Kingsholm, I'd say it's West Country :thumb:

GLAAWWWWSSSTTEEERRRRRRR

Did this quiz and it seemed quite accurate. Spent most of my childhood in either North Wales, Canada it Northumberland. Many of my family are from Northumberland and so is my wife. The results had me firmly pegged in Northumberland or North Wales. Of course now I live in Gloucestershire so I'm having to learn a whole new language and these southern vowels are killing me. :twisted:

Well this is going to make the rounds in my family! :mrgreen:

It got me pretty bang on, raised in NW London, alongside my mam (lone parent) being from North Wales!

732543964_AccentMap.thumb.PNG.ebb75bd20d378a715dd3bff97d946c03.PNG

Going to do the full quiz when I go home. But this is amazing considering all my mates from below Birmingham say I sound like a Northerner! :D

But this is amazing considering all my mates from below Birmingham say I sound like a Northerner! :D

By my definition the North is anything above the M4. I can see a good chunk of your hot spots are above that, so I can see where they're coming from.

But this is amazing considering all my mates from below Birmingham say I sound like a Northerner! :D

By my definition the North is anything above the M4. I can see a good chunk of your hot spots are above that, so I can see where they're coming from.

True, most of my mates are from "inside the bubble" (M25) and so when I say bath and it doesn't sound like barf, they fall about laughing (laughing which also, does not have an "r" sound in it! :twisted: )

True, most of my mates are from "inside the bubble" (M25) and so when I say bath and it doesn't sound like barf, they fall about laughing (laughing which also, does not have an "r" sound in it! :twisted: )

Bath is pronounced Baff. I grew up ten miles away and I know this to be an irrefutable fact.

I'm sat in Baff right now, the only people who say "Barf" are posh wannabies.

Oh, and [mention]Magpie84[/mention] :lol:

Bath is pronounced Baff. I grew up ten miles away and I know this to be an irrefutable fact.

I'm sat in Baff right now, the only people who say "Barf" are posh wannabies.

Oh, and [mention]Magpie84[/mention] :lol:

I love this! :D

So these days I spend a lot of time in the band between Bedford, through MK and Buckinghamshire to Banbury.

I find it SO Weird that people who talk with what I would consider a middle class accent (Pronouncing the t's in Butter and the non-existant 'r' in glass, bath, grass etc etc) are considered the country bumpkins, but the ones who sound like a bad imitation of the central londoner accent are the ones who seem to think they're cultured and well-to-do!

I Do Not Understand This! :shock: