Thinking of kitting out my ER6F with some luggage for a bit of solo touring. Rather than getting top box AND panniers (which would cost an absolute fortune), I'm wondering if it'll be stable to get a top box and then bungee a big 50L bag behind it, sat on the spare bit of seating?

Have a look at Kriega luggage , good stuff :thumb:

Another vote for Kriega. I admittedly have limited experience but have the US-20 and it works really well. I wouldn't hesitate to get the smaller bags and connect it to them, I just don't have a need for them at the moment.

If you have any other random loads Rok straps are really good and versatile too. I've got them for the bike but have also used them in and on the car too.

Thinking of kitting out my ER6F with some luggage for a bit of solo touring. Rather than getting top box AND panniers (which would cost an absolute fortune), I'm wondering if it'll be stable to get a top box and then bungee a big 50L bag behind it, sat on the spare bit of seating?

I'd be tempted not to........never been a fan of big top boxes and with a big bag strapped on the seat in front of it, might be a bit awkward. I reckon Rae's suggestion of soft panniers is worth a punt....only thing is, you've gotta be sure they won't foul the back wheel, so a frame or something similar might be needed. There was a certain manufacturer of soft luggage that came unstuck after one of their customers had a pannier get wrapped round the rear wheel......with fatal results.

But at the end of the day, it's what suits you. Get your gear together and see if it works for you.

Second SSE re. ROK straps......

I'm going away for a week in september on the new bike and my luggage will consist of a 50L bag.. which I will fix to the pillion seat/rack with a cargo net and a bungee (for extra security.

I wont need a top box too.

Obviously i will be travelling fairly light.. but its easy to do as every day will be riding, so just a few changes of clothes for the evening and a pair of lightweight shoes, to give my feet a rest from the boots. minimum toiletries. Bottle of Sanex. Toothbush and paste and deodorant. The Sanex can be everything: shampoo, soap and showerwash.

Ive already tested this out and can easily fit everything I need into the one bag. Socks/underwear x 7, Base-layers. A couple of shirts. T-shirts. Trousers, a lightweight jacket and a pair of trainers. Theres also room in the bag for a puncture repair kit and pump.

I bought a 50L dry-bag/holdall and its just the right size to fit in the space available.

Easy enough.. and if necessary, I can give an item that needs to be re-worn a quick wash in an available sink, using a dab of Sanex. hang it up to dry and then wear it again.

Easy for me as we are staying in a cheap hotel for 6 nights. Just as easy.. especially if you stay in one place for a couple of nights before moving on. If B&Bing.. then just ask the owner if you can use their line.. or chuck an item in their tumbler.

If you don't mind being a bit grungy then you can get away with even less space.

Guest Richzx6r

I use an oxford magnetic tank bag I think its 15 or 20 liters smallest and opens up another 10 liters undone and iv never had it flying around even when I forgot to strap in on with the buckle, other than that I use throw over panniers and I generally just bungee anything else to the seat or behind the missus if she will allow it

Buy whatever suits you! any of the solutions will work if done correctly so decide on your budget and find a solution to suit that and what will be the most practical for your use.

I have used soft luggage with no issues even riding stupid speeds in Germany! 140+ mph

I now have hard luggage with a top box! the top box goes everywhere when the wife is on the bike as its like a handbag :roll: :roll: The panniers are easier to get off than soft luggage and hold more too plus they lock so not as easy to break in to

I'm not sure what year ER6F you have but if it helps I can try and get some pics of where I put the loops on mine (2010) so the 20l pack sits really well on the pillion seat. I remember two loops required a bit of nimble fingers to route around some of the frame but ensured the bag was in a really good position for strapping up.

I'm not sure what year ER6F you have but if it helps I can try and get some pics of where I put the loops on mine (2010) so the 20l pack sits really well on the pillion seat. I remember two loops required a bit of nimble fingers to route around some of the frame but ensured the bag was in a really good position for strapping up.

It's a 2007 (EX650-A7 is the exact model). Would be great to see pics!

Not sure if these are easy to work out. Can try to retake in the daylight if not.

IMG_20190222_180713.thumb.jpg.defe995b5304bc85d285c2a9707a8e0e.jpg

The rear two go around the tubular part of the frame.

IMG_20190222_180748.thumb.jpg.1654a2266fa1351f19bde459966b1ea2.jpg

The front two I got in through some holes in a horizontal plate near where the space for the u lock is. I found when I used the frame here the straps were then a touch too close

IMG_20190222_180940.thumb.jpg.4f219f558cbe45b8de1040d7cc77210d.jpg

No worries, you could probably get them on the tubular frame to the front of the horizontal plate if you removed the side panel but I can't remember if I didn't do that because there was another obstruction or because I couldn't be bothered to take the bodywork off :)