Another newbie question... Oil level

Sand bags

You will find that some bikes require you to run the bike for a few minutes then check the oil after it has been turned off for 5 mins or so

Always check per the manufacturers instructions :thumb:

This is increasingly common on modern engines and in my humble opinion is a pain in the bum. Much easier to check when cold rather than having to run an engine up to temperature, turn it off and leave it for five minutes.

:scratch: :scratch:

But if that's how you are supposed to check it for the correct level then that's how you are supposed to check it!

If you're not doing the correct procedure you could be running with too little or too much oil

You misunderstood. I'm not saying I don't follow the manufacturer's guidelines, I'm just saying it's less convenient than the previous way of checking the oil. So why make things more complicated? I don't see any benefit from the newer procedure.

This is increasingly common on modern engines and in my humble opinion is a pain in the bum. Much easier to check when cold rather than having to run an engine up to temperature, turn it off and leave it for five minutes.

:scratch: :scratch:

But if that's how you are supposed to check it for the correct level then that's how you are supposed to check it!

If you're not doing the correct procedure you could be running with too little or too much oil

You misunderstood. I'm not saying I don't follow the manufacturer's guidelines, I'm just saying it's less convenient than the previous way of checking the oil. So why make things more complicated? I don't see any benefit from the newer procedure.

Ah got ya :thumb:

got to agree much easier when all bikes was just have a look when cold :lol:

testing the oil level.

Cold on the GS... I used to do it first thing in the morning. After the bike had stood overnight on its centre stand.

Warm on the Africa twin. side stand. if cold, idle for 3-5 minutes. allow to cool for 2-3 minutes and (because I have one) raise bike onto centre stand and check.

Hot on the F800s. as above, either after a run.. or idle until the fan comes on, then check, immediately. - no waiting for the engine to cool down.

Tiger 800 cold on centre stand or just held vertically. Very simple.

That isn't what your owners manual says. in fact not only do they say warm the engine, they actually go one step further and add a *note in BOLD.

as below:

Note:

An accurate indication of the level

of oil in the engine is only shown

when the engine is at normal

operating temperature and the

motorcycle is upright (not on the

side stand)

:scratch: I always do mine when the bike is cold .I don't have a manual to find out if it needs to be hot or cold . All I know is that take the dipstick out and wipe clean then put in just sitting in the hole .then pull it out and check .. But hot or cold I dont know :scratch:

Yea I checked levels both when cold and warm, level is about half way between full and empty.

However I'll prob give it an oil change anyway. I read up that 125s destroy oil quickly, not sure when it was last changed, and it's cheap enough and easy enough to do so why not.

If you don’t know when it was last serviced then give the bike a service. Kits are cheap enough on eBay and it’s easy to do yourself. Check and adjust the tyre pressures, and chain/sprockets (lube) whilst you’re at it.

Any questions or help you need just ask.

If you don’t know when it was last serviced then give the bike a service. Kits are cheap enough on eBay and it’s easy to do yourself. Check and adjust the tyre pressures, and chain/sprockets (lube) whilst you’re at it.

Thanks Adam, what else would you involve in a service?

Up to date, I have:

replaced front sprocket and retainer bracket (old one fell off lol)

Re-adjust, cleaned and lubed the chain.

Drained and changed the oil. I removed the filter, which was like a little metal mesh thimble lol gave that a good clean and re-installed it.

I'll double check what my tyre pressures are supposed to be.

What else would you recommend?

Guest Richzx6r

Up to date, I have:

Drained and changed the oil. I removed the filter, which was like a little metal mesh thimble lol gave that a good clean and re-installed it.

Air filter and fuel filter, are all pads road worthy?

Up to date, I have:

Air filter and fuel filter, are all pads road worthy?

Yep I checked air filter, looked fine. Clean and oiled.

Haven't checked the fuel filter or pads. I'll have to check the manual on how to do those. The front is a pad, the rear brake is a drum.

The bike is making some weird noises, which sound like it's coming from the gearbox. Generally the bike feels as though it drives and pulls well, apart from these noises. When I let off the throttle you can hear it quite a bit . I check the sprocket and chains etc. but seems like it's mechanical inside. The best way I can describe it is like there is a bits of metal inside getting flicked around inside.

Anyone with some experience on what this might be? I done the oil change incase that might help but it didn't affect it. Worried the gearbox or something is on its way out lol

The bike is making some weird noises, which sound like it's coming from the gearbox. Generally the bike feels as though it drives and pulls well, apart from these noises. When I let off the throttle you can hear it quite a bit . I check the sprocket and chains etc. but seems like it's mechanical inside. The best way I can describe it is like there is a bits of metal inside getting flicked around inside.

Anyone with some experience on what this might be? I done the oil change incase that might help but it didn't affect it. Worried the gearbox or something is on its way out lol

It could be a gearbox issue, but the only time I had the kind of noises you describe it was the chain. It looked perfect but when I replaced it the bike ran smooth and silent. Worth a try ?

Could be a bearing that's shot or something, where bouts you from?

North London bud

It could be a gearbox issue, but the only time I had the kind of noises you describe it was the chain. It looked perfect but when I replaced it the bike ran smooth and silent. Worth a try ?

Yea I suppose it's possible. That's what I suspected it at first because I started noticing it after I replaced the sprocket and cleaned the chain etc. Thought maybe the sprocket wasn't sitting right or maybe a stiff link or something. Took it all off and out back on again, same issue. Maybe I'll double check again.

It could be the CCT if you're certain the chain and sprockets are ok.

What is a CCT?

I see. Is that buggered as in will need replacing, or adjusting?

Is this a job that I could attempt, or do you need to take engine apart lol

If it was this, are there any dangers to keep riding as is?

Thanmsy

I see. Is that buggered as in will need replacing, or adjusting?

Is this a job that I could attempt, or do you need to take engine apart lol

If it was this, are there any dangers to keep riding as is?

Thanmsy

It's a fairly easy job, but it was just a thought. I wouldn't go mad replacing everrything :mrgreen: . It just bolts to the outside of the case. Without even hearing the noise it's pretty impossible to diagnose